Honda Element Owners Club banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
first, what a great write-up with good photos and diagrams!

and yes, headlights and dome lights are activated by supplying a ground connection in our Elements. that other lead that you tried to use for your negative goes to the hatch switch, which provides a ground when the hatch is open, and turns on the rear dome light if the switch is set correctly. if you had turned the dome light switch to the always on position, your original wiring should have worked.

also, if you're camping in your Element, you should replace the dome light bulbs with LEDs, before you discover that the incandescents have drained the battery so low that it won't start the engine.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
x2 ^^ another pro camping tip...dont leave doors open including the rear hatch. battery will die. not used to these new cars yet..
yes, if you're still using the OEM bulbs. not so much a problem if you switch to LEDs, or if you switch the dome lights to "OFF". i've done the LED switch for all interior lights: more light, less battery drain.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Element EX Crystal Black Pearl
120 Posts
jamiechong - excellent idea with great directions and photos. You just gave me a new project dammit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
After putting this off for a LONG time, I finally made this mod to my '08 SC -- as I camp in it at my "local" race track for a couple of events a year. I used a Recliner Chair cable release that I got from Walmart online. Hole placement was easy by referencing the holes in the body that the retaining pins go into.

Where I dropped the ball was accounting for cable's exit from the release. After cutting the plastic panel to mount it, the cable was in a bind when reinstalling the panel. As it was interfering with the body panel. So, I broke out the jig saw, made 2 each 1 inch cuts and folded the tab created back into the hatch. After that I was golden.

Very pleased with the way it looks and functions. Oh, I also added a key chain from said local race track as the pull down on the inside. Again... Pleased with the results.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This past weekend was the latest race at my "Local" track -- VIRginia International Raceway.
I, once again, camped in the Element for the event. I rigged up the pulls (ropes) that I previously used for opening and closing the front door to get in and out. Mostly out of habit. Used it once. Then used the rear hatch via the mod I recently completed. Using the hatch was SO MUCH easier than wrestling with the doors. I wish I'd made the time to perform this fairly simple modification long ago.....

121 - 127 of 127 Posts