Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my E yesterday and after a few minutes noticed that air from vents was still warm even though the a/c switch was on (illuminated). Turned all the HVAC knobs and pressed all the switches hoping to reset something, but nothing helped: warm air for the entire 30 minute drive home. Also noticed that the compressor was not kicking in. When I got home, I shut off the engine, then turned it on again. The a/c compressor kicked in immediately and the a/c began blowing cold air. Happened again this morning. After initial startup no cold air, but after turning engine off then back on, cold air. Not sure if the following might be related, but this a/c problem comes on the heels of 1) a blower motor that began sticking and requires a kick (literally) to start moving again (dying bushing/bearing, I think), and 2) a check engine light that came on, but immediately went off when the guy at Auto Zone hooked up the diagnostic computer. These two problems occurred within the past week.

Any ideas? I searched the forum but didn't find anything resembling my problem. 2008 LX, 2WD, 70,000 miles. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
If the blower sounds normal, then the bearings should be fine. The fact that you have to kick-start the motor suggests that though a bad brush-commutator contact may be the problem, it could also be a bad connection. I'd reseat the connectors at the HVAC control and elsewhere to see if that also solves the intermittent compressor problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blower motor has been whining for some time, now makes a whining/ticking sound. Not terribly loud, but definitely not normal. Sorry ... should have added that. Also, my HVAC panel lights have been squirrely for the last year or so. Sometimes they work, other times they don't. If you tap them, sometimes they come on, other times they don't. I remember researching this light problem here in the forum, and determining that it wasn't serious and was mainly an annoyance. But as I posted earlier, pressing the HVAC switches and turning the knobs does nothing to change my current problem; only turning off the engine and turning it back on.

Thanks for your quick reply.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It does sound like the blower commutator is coming loose or a brush is failing. A crazy question. Is it still under Warranty? As for the AC not working sometimes it sounds like ether its got a low charge or something electrical acting up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the blower motor a few minutes ago (which was stupid-easy! 2 phillps and 3 torx screws), blew it out (lots of black dust) and lubed it with WD-40. Seems to work a little better, but still not turning at full speed. I ordered another motor for $65, and I hope lubing the existing motor will get me through until the new one gets here.
The problem with the compressor not coming on sometimes is still a mystery. I'd be inclined to think it's not a low charge, because when it works, it blows very cold air. I may take ramblerdan's advice and dink with my HVAC switch connectors, but yeah, I tend to think it's something electrical too. Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a question for 'RamblerDan' if I may. I have a similar problem but without any obvious mechanical flaws or warning signs. The AC comes on and off when it pleases. But I notice the light on the switch cuts on and off(knob). If I tap it, the light comes back on for a while. I will pull it today and check for a bad connection, but cold this simple switch be the cause?

Also, to the original poster; how did your fix come out?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
VBsnow, do you mean the selector light, the lower switch light, or the "on" indicator? The first two are incandescent bulbs and subject to flaky behavior, but unrelated to function. The "on" indicator is an LED, soldered to the circuit board and not likely subject to being affected by tapping, unless the switch itself has a bad connection. In that case, reseating the switch connector might do the trick.

For the record, though, I don't know jack about a/c systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Intermittent A/C

This problem just began last week. Was driving 2+ hours and noticed that my air conditioning was not blowing cold air. Turned it off and a few minutes later turned it back on and it started blowing cold air. Had the freeon checked and it was ok. Has been working most of the time this week ok. Has anyone determined the cause of this? Had my mechanic check it and he couldn't find anything wrong. It was blowing really cold air.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Element air conditioning problems

Blowing hot air for quite a while then gradually some cold air. We have a CRV drive train which is experiencing a ton of A/C failures, partly due to no heat shielding and compressor failures. Honda supposedly has a seven year extension on warranty claims on this A/C failure from what I've read. Next week I'll see what the Dealer says, hopefully they'll be upfront about it.
For their sake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check the two AC refrigerant pipes to/from the cabin when you think your AC is not working. One of them should be sweating and quite cold, the other really warm/hot. If so your compressor is working.

A possible problem is your blend door operation. It might not be selecting the right mix sometimes (blend door motor failing).

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Shoot, I just read something about this too:

From my experience (2004 E) the fans under the hood die out. On a 2004, if the AC is on, and the engine is running, BOTH fans should be on. I think later year is different (help?). I had a few bad AC fans that I replaced. I bought TYCs and I was VERY happy with them. recommended to others as well. There's a whole thread on here somewhere with my comments on the repair. DIY. I had one die under warranty, and I helped a few other members with their. Only my warranty one died from what I know.

The other thread I read somewhere, somebody discovered they had a bad AC relay(?) in the under-hood fusebox. Sounds like a nice easy fix if that is the issue. DIY also. I forget the E year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts