Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden my air conditioning is doing weird things. Part of the time it works and part of the time it doesn't. When I start my car, I can feel the compressor kick in and soon after I get freezing cold air just like always. Then after driving for a little bit the air will start to get warm and kinda humid, and sometimes I can feel the compressor engage and the warm air will turn cold again. Other times I have to manually turn the air off and then back on again which for whatever reason seems to make the a/c cool again. This cycle continues all along my drive. Air turns warm...either it gets cold again on its own or with my help...then turns warm again a couple minutes later. And the cycle continues every couple minutes. The problem seems to be more noticeable under load/at highway speed. Some days the a/c works fine as long as I'm on surface streets keeping it at a reasonable speed. And some days even on surface streets the a/c acts weird except at idle, where it tends to work ok.

Refrigerant seems to be okay...I hooked up a gauge to the low side with everything running and it said I was in the "full" range. As I said the compressor is engaging. The condenser fan works. I did the diagnostic recommended by the service manual by holding the two switches in on the a/c panel, and it went through its thing and didn't blink a number at me so I guess it passed.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have a similar problem? I'm really stumped. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm about to drive ~1800 miles back to school, and I really want to get my a/c working before I leave :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Welcome and it could be a number of things like a slipping clutch to the refrigerant being low. Just looking at the low side will not tell you if the charge is full and if its low the compressor will cycle on and off when the engine is revved. Open the hood and with the AC on have someone throttle the engine to 2000 RPM and watch the clutch for cycling or slippage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have had it serviced recently, Ice cold A/C then hot air is indicative of an overcharged system.
The compressor runs just long enough to run the pressure through the roof, then shuts down till they bleed down, then starts over.

Here in AZ this is a common problem as everyone is always trying to "top it off" and make it a little cooler.

Most of the time wasting money and overcharging.

You need to either go to and a/c shop or go to autozone and Rent/borrow a set of gauges and check the High side pressure.

Depending on the outside temp you want it below 250psi at idle. It should only go up slightly when the throttle is revved.

With the gauges you should be able to see the spike and shut down.

It could also be undercharged. If the low side drops below 25psi when revved the compressor will also cut out.

Hope that helps.

I added 2 12" slim fans to the A/C condenser on My E because it took forever to cool down after sitting all day and wouldn't stay cool in traffic.

Now, instant cold air that never stops. The E doesn't direct air through the condenser very well most of it goes around.

·
Registered
62 Posts
did the original op ever find an answer to this, this sounds very similar to the problem I am having?????? it seems unrelated to the compressor. Even with A/C off, it goes to ambient air to warm

it sounds like a faulty a/c control or like a blend door is malfunctioning

1 - 5 of 5 Posts