Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2007 Element .... I am having intermittent cranking issues... it will sound like it is going to crank, and then it doesnt', it is firing, but not starting. It does start, but sometimes it can take quite a few tries.

I've taken it in and they said the battery and starter check ok... Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? It doesn't matter if it is the first time I've started it for the day or the third...

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome to the EOC,

First off please fill out your profile so we know a little more about your E.

Your description is a little lacking, could you please restate your question, from my seat its a little confusing, you are talking about 2 different things in the same sentence. I think maybe you are saying that the engine does turn over but does not fire right of way. If its not cranking, then thats a separate issue from not firing the engine because you need to crank in order to fire.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry it is a 2007 SC with 30000 miles..... It acts like it is going to start... it goes. nananananah... nanananaanh..... is is TRYING to start, but it is like it is not getting fire..... sometimes it does it a few times sometimes 10 times... then it starts...

Then it starts... does not matter what the temp outside is, or how many times it has been started before....

THIS!!!!

I think maybe you are saying that the engine does turn over but does not fire right of way

·
Registered
71 Posts
The starter cranks normally, but the engine won't start - At least you know that the starter is working. If the starter cranks but the engine won't start, there could be wide range of problems. Here are some of the most common:
- Problems with fuel delivery system (e.g bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay, clogged fuel filter, etc.)
- Problem with engine electronics (e.g crank sensor, cam sensor, air flow sensor, power relay, engine computer, etc.)
- Defective ignition switch
- Problems with vehicle security system
- Internal engine problems (e.g broken timing belt or gear, low compression
If you are noticing that the problem has been getting worse by the number of times you turn the key, I would check out the fuel delivery system and then the ignition switch. If you have a lot of keys on your keychain that weigh a ton, have the ignition switch checked. Then remove some of your keys or toys that are on the key chain, this will prevent ruining the new switch!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HA!!! Typical woman! I DO have a lot of keys on my key ring... I will take them off and see what happens.... so far I've started it twice today and it has started right up!!! Thanks for all your help! I will keep all posted in case someone else has the same issue!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
HA!!! Typical woman! I DO have a lot of keys on my key ring... I will take them off and see what happens.... so far I've started it twice today and it has started right up!!! Thanks for all your help! I will keep all posted in case someone else has the same issue!!
if you have a second vehicle that also has some sort of transponder system (most cars out there now days) the other transponder pellet could have been giving the factory immobilizer system a false reading by it seeing that second key as part of the transponder reading in addition to your honda key. that is why i keep mine and mrs. yoda's keys (07 GTI with transponder) on seperate rings. hopefully that is all it was, and if it was you might be able to get one of those little rings that allow you to link them and seperate them (the other key) easily, or just keep it on a seperate keyring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far so good..... knocking on wood.... I have not had any issues since I removed all the extra keys off my ring... now it is just the key and transponder :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts