Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
First time poster, long time lurker with a confounding electrical problem.
Our '04 E has 180K miles.
Two week ago the electrical system started acting up. The typical pattern:
1. Radio cuts out - loses power.
2. A/C cuts out a few seconds later
3. ABS light comes on
4. Windows and wipers, if in use, run very slowly.
5. Speedometer, temperature gauge, and fuel gauge drop to zero.
6. If, at this point, i park the E and turn it off and leave it alone for a while, it will start up as if nothing had happened. Once I popped onto the highway, sped along at 45 for a few minutes, and the problem disappears.

Mechanic said that battery and alternator are fine, as are their connections.
He said that when off there was a 10mA draw from somewhere, but that it was not enough to drain the battery.

So, from poking around it seems that the ELD may be the culprit.
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Thanks!
Art D.
W. DC

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,693 Posts
vote for ELD

Your in Washington, figured you might get the pun

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2004 w/about 155k miles. I just started having issues a month ago. It started with the radio just going blank. Then 2 weeks later the radio did it again.
Then 2 weeks later, while cruising slow in traffic the Engine light came on. Then a couple days later, while in bumper to bumper the engine light came on again. This time along with the ABS light, the Airbag symbol and then I started traveling at a higher rate of speed and they all went out....? Now my automatic window on drivers side doesn't work

·
Registered
6 Posts
ADrauglis

Did it work. I am having the exact same issues. I have gone through 3 alternators. How difficult was the fix? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the exact same issues as ADrauglis in this post. It only happens when it is warm outside, The other night the car did exactly what ADrauglis described. I was lucky to get to a road where I could go 50 mph. Once I did that the car was normal.

I have had the alternator change 3 times this summer. The battery and starter replaced in may. I have had minor issues all summer but it seems to be acting up more and more. The current alternator test normal as well as the battery. Full Charge and everything. Is it the ELB or the computer. I have checked and had the mechanic check for bad grounds. there are none. OH, what to do?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This does not sound like an ELD problem, all the ELD does is control how much amperage the alternator pushes out to recharge the battery faster or slower depending on how much power the vehicle is drawing. You could completely unhook the alternator & the vehicle would remain running until the battery dies, which could be a decent while if few accessories are being used. If you are constantly fighting dead or drained batteries, then maybe alternator (or ELD) is the issue.

This sounds much more like a corrosion issue, and the high speed (sustained high rpm) would push the alternator output up possibly explaining the vehicle's tendency to overcome the issue. I would be replacing relays throughout, starting with the ones under the hood that control the various circuits being affected above. The relays are what control the power reaching each accessory, and a failing relay would cause intermitant power losses to whatever it was powering.

I have met very few mechanics who truly understand electronics and electricity, which is very sad considering how deeply integrated electronics are in every car these days. Those that dont are always quickest to begin throwing parts at a car randomly, which is just wasteful and expensive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Adding my experience & feedback in case it helps any others in the future.

My situation:
* 2005 Element EX AWD
* ~ 125K on odometer when issue started
* Timeframe around Jan. 2018

After the issue started to progressively get worse (first was just instrument cluster cutting power & ABS lights going off, then progressed to radio & interior cabin power, one time cut my ignition power - thank God I was in a parking lot with no one around).

Found this thread along with others related. I replaced the part in question (ELD) where now 95% of the issue is gone. Before posting, I gave it about 2-3 months to confirm.

For the most part its gone. The main times I see power cutting would be if I'm cycling the key and my radio cuts intermittently or when I have the A/C on - intermittently when the compressor puts an amperage load on the system, my radio cuts power.

Some more troubleshooting is needed on my end to fully resolve this. For now though, adding my feedback for others who find this from an internet search.

Attached are pictures related to the part in question.

To find the relay, it is actually below what you see from the top view looking down on the fuses in the engine bay. To access, remove the two big fuses (towards the cabin), which afterwards you can access this relay (that also has a wire connector coming into it from below the fuse panel. (Once you get in there these notes will make more sense.)

I ordered my ELD from Amazon BTW.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts