Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I did some searching on "howl" noises and didn't find anything definitive. My E has about 15K on it and was originally taken in for what I thought was bad rear brakes. I noticed a burning smell from the rear about a month ago. Dealer found nothing and said she was good to go. Burning smell persists and is accompanied by an intermittent "howl" as I drive along, usually at 50MPH and greater. The noise is also louder the faster I go and vice-versa. I can remove the "howl" by banking slightly to the left, but it usually comes back unless I jerk the wheel really hard. That tells me it may be a bad bearing? Along with this smell, which seems to be consolidated to the rear passenger wheel is a really warm/hot temp. to the wheel that is not present on the other side. I'm hoping whatever it is, the warranty will cover! Thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It sounds like you have a sticky caliper. Slightly ride the brakes and see if it changes or goes away. If the bearing was going bad it would almost be a rumbling sound that you will hear. The other thing to try is do a tire rotation and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, good call. I forgot to mention the noise dissipates as I push on the brake. I have an appt. this Saturday -- they claim they found "nothing" last time and that my rear brakes were in great shape. Yeah right, then why is my rear wheel cover starting to accumulate dust? I'm just hoping they find and fix whatever it is this time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts