Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Element 4WD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks I have a2004 Element with a demon. Only happens once in a while and don't even know where to start to look for the issue. Periodically over the last couple years the car would act as if the batter was completely dead. Today it did it for the first time back to back times. All I have to do, to get it to start is unhook the battery terminal. It resets whatever the issue is and the she starts right up. Never was too big of an issue and since she is an old girl just dealt with it. Now that my daughter is driving it, I would like to chase down the demon. Any ideas? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,610 Posts
Before you do anything else, check the Negative Battery Cable down where it bolts to the engine. This is a known problem area on Elements. For some reason (possibly planned obsolescence). Honda left the last 3 - 4 inches of the cable without any insulation, and they tend to corrode there.

Anyway, replacing the Negative Cable its an inexpensive fix that you should check out before you go any further.

I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Before you do anything else, check the Negative Battery Cable down where it bolts to the engine. This is a known problem area on Elements. For some reason (possibly planned obsolescence). Honda left the last 3 - 4 inches of the cable without any insulation, and they tend to corrode there.

Anyway, replacing the Negative Cable its an inexpensive fix that you should check out before you go any further.

Yep mine needed replacing when I bought the car. It literally was hanging by a thread but the bigger problem was the positive battery cable terminal itself. The metal had somehow gotten stretched out and no longer could be tightened enough to secure to the battery post. The simple fix was to jam a screw in there between the post and terminal rather than replace the positve cable, will do that later.

Unbelievable that the mechanical shop I brought the car too before buying it did not find this. My car was not even running when I bought it and I never even drove it and the circumstances surrounding the purchase did not allow me to even see under the hood before buying it. Needless to say I never went back to that shop again.

·
Registered
2004 Element 4WD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep mine needed replacing when I bought the car. It literally was hanging by a thread but the bigger problem was the positive battery cable terminal itself. The metal had somehow gotten stretched out and no longer could be tightened enough to secure to the battery post. The simple fix was to jam a screw in there between the post and terminal rather than replace the positve cable, will do that later.

Unbelievable that the mechanical shop I brought the car too before buying it did not find this. My car was not even running when I bought it and I never even drove it and the circumstances surrounding the purchase did not allow me to even see under the hood before buying it. Needless to say I never went back to that shop again.

Thank you for the input. I checked all the cables and they are all in great shape. I live in Florida so I am lucky that I don't have to deal with all the northern rust issues. This is an odd one. I feel something is maybe triggering the security system...a guess. What ever it is, all you need to do to get it to start is disconnect the batter and reconnect and voila she starts. I changed out the positive connector today and added a master disconnect to the negative side, I know this is not a great fix but makes things quick when the demon shows up. Still open for other ideas. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts