Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element Ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I believe it's my first post. This is the site for Element owners. Thank you for all the info.

2004 EX Auto / 278K miles

Recent work
  • shocks/struts
  • strut mounting plate
  • rotors/pads
  • inner/outer tie rods
  • ball joints
  • sway bar links
  • sway bar bushings
  • radiator/upper and lower hoses
  • radiator fan
  • plugs/ignition coils
  • drive belt
  • tensioner
  • balanced tires
The problem seems to happen randomly and only at low speeds. If I accelerate in goes away. I don't feel it in the steering wheel or even in the gas pedal but I guess it's the differential. I plan to change the fluid very soon as well as what does in the transmission. Motor and transmission mounts will be changed at the same time. Anyone ever experience anything similar?

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
487 Posts
Does it occur only when turning? Or going straight as well? Can you tell if it follows engine or vehicle speed? If you have no idea how old the transmission fluid is, do at least two drain and refills with a little driving in between.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element Ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it occur only when turning? Or going straight as well? Can you tell if it follows engine or vehicle speed? If you have no idea how old the transmission fluid is, do at least two drain and refills with a little driving in between.
Thank you for taking interest in my troubles.

After writing the original post I realized that I'm feeling 2 different things, the engine some times jerks, and also I feel I vibration in what seems like the drive axel but it can't be since as far as I know the rear doesn't operate unless there's slippage occuring in the front and this is never the case. I don't feel when turning. It only seems to happen when going straight. It doesn't always occur either. It feels like a studder for lack of a better term for both the engine(rare) and what I believe is the drive shaft(more frequent). No CEL.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thank you for taking interest in my troubles.

After writing the original post I realized that I'm feeling 2 different things, the engine some times jerks, and also I feel I vibration in what seems like the drive axel but it can't be since as far as I know the rear doesn't operate unless there's slippage occuring in the front and this is never the case. I don't feel when turning. It only seems to happen when going straight. It doesn't always occur either. It feels like a studder for lack of a better term for both the engine(rare) and what I believe is the drive shaft(more frequent). No CEL.
I am AWD and I had my drive axles replaced at about 120k along with my motor mounts. Your problem sounds more like drive axles to me because of the intermittent nature. When my drive axles were bad I would notice it more in the 40- 60mph range.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element Ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your attention to this matter.

After more driving I've noticed that it is around 35-40 mph. Light throttle. I never notice this issues when I'm med to full throttle.

The engine buckles occasionally but I think it would be best to focus on one element, no pun intended.

Drive axles you say? I'll look into that. At this point I will keep it. On the fence. I like it but I forsee more investment though I'm happy learning as I have been working out the kinks.

FYI - I drive 100 plus miles a day when I'm using it .. almost everyday. . . I love the practicality of it!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had my '08 repaired for the same thing. Tried engine mounts, had a really torn up one, didn't fix it. It was time for another rear end fluid flush, didn't fix it. Had a bad ball joint, replaced both, still bad. Replaced the left front axle, still no joy. The right side front axle was the problem. They put back the original left axle and everything else was due anyway. There is really no way to tell if the axles are worn until you replace them. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element Ex
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your attention to this. I know that the right axle has been changed. On to the left. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the rear control arm bushings.
Lots of info here and on the web.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
Low-speed low-acceleration judder or jerks that don't appear at harder acceleration or speeds are a sign that your AT is overdue for a fluid change.

With your mileage, it 's worth it to do 2 changes this time, and also change the inline filter (by the bottom of the radiator.) Honda ATs need a ATF spill and refill at least every 30,000 miles after the first scheduled change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts