Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So last week, I took my E into service for a scheduled oil change, and when they were wrapping up, they mentioned to me that I needed new cabin air filters. Knowing how easy it is, I declined the service because I didn't feel like getting ripped off that day, but I'm noticing a rattling sound now that sounds like its coming straight from the cabin air filter cabin. I took a couple of videos hoping some of you geniuses here might know what is causing it.

One video is the outside of the air filter cabin and you can hear the rattling sound. The pitch of the sound goes up accordingly to how high I turn the fan on!
The other video I managed to sneak my cameraphone into the little compartment to record what is going on. You'll hear the rattling again, but my the mic is a lil too close to the air vent! Sorry, but you'll get the picture..

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on??

Video 1:

Video 2:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Great job with the camera.

1rst posibility is that something made it past the filter. Since the filters are above the turbine, it is easy for a foreign object already trapped by the filter to be pushed out and fall down when you slide the filter out for replacement or inspection.

Second posibility is that the motor itself is making the noise if the brushes are worn out or the rotor is rubbng the cage for some reason.

In any case, the process of finding out and correcting goes the same way.

.... Continue

·
Registered
893 Posts
Pull the black plastic cover beneath the glove compartment. No screws. Just pull it off from the front (side facing you) and clip off.

You will then see the motor body.

Inspect and find the electrical connector. Push the lock tab and pull the connector off.

Look at the circunference of the motor case flange and you will find three screws 120 degrees apart. ( no, i did not measure them) and take off.

The motor assembly will come out.

...continue

·
Registered
893 Posts
Time to inspect.

Look around the area where the turbine was and look for foreign objects. Put special atention to the left side, the duct where the turbine pushes the air towards the evaporator. I didn't think about it the last time I did it, but your camera trick is perfect for that.

After cleaning it. Take the blower and clean. If you use compressed air you will notice some or a big amount of black dust. It is residue from the motor brushes, and it is good to have it cleaned.

....continue

·
Registered
893 Posts
Now take the blower assembly and plug it to back to the electrical connector.

Make sure the air blower is off before you do it.

Grab the assembly by the motor case or set it aside so the turbine turns freely.

Hold it in place ( not from the white turbine) and turn it ON.

Inspect it for noise. If it noisy or too noisy for you, you are better off getting a new blower motor assembly.

....continue

·
Registered
893 Posts
Get the blower assembly and Assembly back ( either cleaned or new assembly) to its rightful place on the heater box and secure with the same three screws you took off.

If is not plugged, plug back until connector "clicks"

Put the cover back on by aligning the back tabs on the back and pressing the clips at the from ( towards you)

Replace filters if you haven't done so using the regular procedure.

Make sure you reward yourself after each section with the drink of your preference. VERY VERY important.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wrenchmeister, you are truly a Wrenchmeister!

Thanks for the very very detailed instructions! I was amped to try out those directions with the details you included! Until I got to the end and laughed about the paper clip! I thought that little metal wire was part of the assembly itself, but you would know best since you've actually taken it apart.

I'm going to grab a magnet tonight and see if I can fish it out of the air filter opening. If not, I'll put your instructions to good use, keeping in mind your important tip about the drink of my choice..

thanks again, i'll let you know what I find out!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I figured it out!

With your advice, I found some stuff lying around to fish out that paperclip. It wasn't catching onto my magnet so I whipped out my phone and snapped another picture.

After I took a look at the picture, I figured out two things:
1) That paperclip is just a white painted line!
2) There was a leaf there that I couldn't see before.

I took the leaf away and the noise is gone!

Thanks for the help Wrenchmeister!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
That's what I love about this site, people ask questions and knowledgeable people respond and no dumb remarks just helpful folks. Thanks Wrenchmeister!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts