Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to share with you guys my dash cam setup. I've seen some crazy drivers on the autobahn here in Germany and decided to get a dashcam. It's legal to have a dash cam as long as it is not blocking your view. I did some researching online for some purpose built dash cams / car DVRs and some were either too expensive or the video quality just didn't cut it.

I have an iPhone 4 and found an app called "Car Camera DVR". I had to pay for it and I don't recall the exact price but it was less than $5. You can set it to record in timed segments (2, 5, 10, 20 & 30 min videos) and how many segments (1, 2, 5, 10, 15 & 20) before it loops back and overwrites itself. Video resolutions include 640x480 & 1280x720 with the options to choose Low, Medium or High compression. The FPS can be set for 7, 15 and 30 frames per second. Audio recording is also included and you get to option lock the auto-focusing of the camera. You can't play music and run the app at the same time.

This is now my dedicated dash cam since I upgraded to a different phone (Galaxy Note 2 :-D)

Anyway, here is the setup:

Lens kit with lenses, windshield mount and iPhone. Link for the lens kit: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HCST7Y/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Not pictured is the car charger which I leave plugged in when it's in use.

Here is a sample recording at 640x480 resolution, 30fps using the wide angle lens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
great post, thanks for sharing.
I've tried it like you, but a bit bothering, everytime I have to activate the app and make configuration, however it is really a great alternative solution.
Dashcams had a substantial price drop these 2 years, I ordered a cheaper dash cam earlier this week. If it works well I might spring for a better one in the future but for my needs right now it doesnt need to be super high resolution and the videos shown by reviewers were more than adequate.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I also tried something similar, but stopped after realizing that the phone was getting dangerously hot. It may have been the app, but I'd rather not risk it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also tried something similar, but stopped after realizing that the phone was getting dangerously hot. It may have been the app, but I'd rather not risk it.
ya, that's quite dangerous, it is said there has been accidents with the whole car get burned caused by the overheating of dashcam which embedded with poor battery, that's terrible..

been looking at http://www.szswill.com/car-camera.html
some items looks cheerful, anyone got one? any of these worth a punt?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Lifeproof case with their car mount, it has the hole on the back to allow the camera to show through. I have used it a couple times in my toaster to capture some footage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts