Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from first road trip in the 2010 EX, and was surprised and annoyed to discover that my and-or my wife's iPhone(s) caused occasional buzzing in the Element's audio system.

It's the same noise that I occasionally hear when my iPhone is near my computer monitor. I assume it's caused by the phone periodically transmitting its position to the cell system.

Are others experiencing this problem? Is there a cure?

It didn't seem to make much, if any, difference where the phones were placed in the car. My wife, riding in the passenger seat, naturally laid her phone in the dashboard tray. Mine usually was in my shirt pocket as I sat at the wheel.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
313 Posts
i PHONE

just got back from a 3000 mile road trip in the e. i have a iphone and have not heard any thing out of the radio. no problems, maybe it has something to do with 2 i phones in the car at the same time. never had a problem with my computer either. you the iphone all the time while i'm talking to customers over a wireless head phone hooked up thru my iphone.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I work for AT&T and this is normal with most any cell phone from my experience. If your phone is transmitting data or in use and it is too close to a radio or speakers, (I hear it on my computer speakers at work sometimes) it can give off a buzzing noise but can be intermittent. You can hear this a lot as well if you are on another phone (landline from my experience) and your cell phone gets to close to the receiver. Only way I know to remedy the issue is to move the cell phone further away from which ever other electronic device you are getting the feedback off of.

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well the real question is what kind of iPhone you have and what type of signal it is getting. The original iPhone uses the Edge network and sometimes the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS only get Edge coverage in some areas. The 3G data network won't bother the speakers but the Edge will, causing the noise. I discovered this after upgrading to the iPhone 3G and the noise disappeared when I was using 3G data in the car.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well the real question is what kind of iPhone you have and what type of signal it is getting. The original iPhone uses the Edge network and sometimes the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS only get Edge coverage in some areas. The 3G data network won't bother the speakers but the Edge will, causing the noise. I discovered this after upgrading to the iPhone 3G and the noise disappeared when I was using 3G data in the car.
That's a good possibility because 3G or UMTS is on a different MHz signal than EDGE for the most part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the knowledgeable advice!

My iPhone is a first-generation version, while my wife's is a 3G. I'm now suspecting that my phone may be the culprit. We'll experiment and see what we can learn.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for all the knowledgeable advice!

My iPhone is a first-generation version, while my wife's is a 3G. I'm now suspecting that my phone may be the culprit. We'll experiment and see what we can learn.

Thanks again.
The original iPhone is the culprit because it only operates on the Edge network. The solution is to turn on Airplane Mode to disable all cellular communication if you are only using the iPhone to listen to music in the vehicle. Of course you won't get any calls either.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Buzzing is not really just iphone, it could happen on any phone use GSM, other than 3G.

Here is good article talk about it.

From article:
".....The cause of this buzzing has to do with GSM's "time division" nature. The ever-knowledgeable Keith Nowak, spokesperson for Nokia, explains it as follows: "[[With GSM]] the RF transmitter is turned on/off at a fast rate, and that 'pulsing' is often picked up by nearby devices that don't have good RF shielding. In the case of GSM the pulse rate is 217 Hz, which can be easily heard....."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts