Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

My Factory stereo is finally dieing on me. I am looking for advice on a replacement head unit..

I am still using stock speakers and sub. My main concern is my Aux port or a head unit with one built in..

I also want to integrate my iPhone into the mess, I already use a blue-ant for hands free...I need something to work as a mount and charger for the phone, preferably sitting on the dash visible.

Thats really it, I don't want fancy..just want my iphone looking good up on dash and radio performance similar to the stock radio...Heck, I guess the easiest way would be to put a new stock unit in...

Any advice would be great

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
there are countless options out there, and i guess it would be easier to narrow down if we knew how much you were willing to spend. you can get a great pioneer nav radio with bluetooth for the phone and an ipod cable online for like 400-500 bucks, or you can get a basic sony, pioneer, kenwood etc radio with an aux jack either front or back for about 200. they are all over the place, so your budget has alot to do with what features you can get. and it will be around 50 bucks for install parts to put a radio in no matter which one you chose so dont forget about that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not looking to spend more than 2-300 bucks...less is even better. I don't like the ipod interfaces that come with most stereos..the iPhone's interface is much better and if it's sitting on the dash, I should have no problem changing playlists or songs on it... I just want to be able to use factory aux port or have one on deck..'

Thanks

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
well you are going to need a deck that has 3 preamp outputs for front rear and sub input of your factory amp, and it sounds like you just want a mini jack or rca (with an rca to mini jack adaptor) input on either the front or back. the problem is that if you want to control the ipod from the ipod you are going to have to use a mini jack for the input to the deck vs a dedicated hookup, BUT then you wont get charging at the same time. so if control is more important then charging or vs versa that will help determine the deck for you. let me knwo and i will continue to narrow it down. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just put in a Pioneer Premier fh-p800bt. They also make a Pioneer fh-p8000bt, which is the same thing, just without the ability to turn off the internal amp. So far I'm very happy with the unit. One nice thing about the ipod interface (built in and cable included) is that you can control the ipod from both the head unit and the ipod itself. Also the head unit has a central knob what works just like the ipod controls. The bluetooth seems to work well with my phone, although I'm still getting a few things set up. MP3 cd navigation works very intuitively as well. Plus I think the deck looks pretty slick in the E. Its got a factoryish look to it. Plus its got 4v preouts and a decent amount of onboard processing. And did I mention it looks good :D It looks better in person that it does in the crutchfield pictures, and either can be had brand new (not refurbed) on ebay between 200 and 300. I got mine for 225. And if you didn't use your ipod, you can hook up a usb harddrive to it as well. Basically you have a usb input as well as a regular aux input, which can both be connected at the same time.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
the 8000bt is a good deck and as pointed out it can be had like most things cheaper on ebay. after ipod cable and kits/harness you would be right around 300 bucks. if you arent keen on buying things like that on ebay its about 100 bucks more for everything from bestbuy or a local shop probably is in the same price range.

the alpin cda-105 is pretty solid too. no bluetooth, but you can control ipod thru deck or ipod and it will charge it at teh same time. you just need kits/harness and the ipod cable and you are probably under your 300 dollar budget.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9215413&type=product&id=1218060486350

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more question....do the factory decks work for all years..say I get a deal on an 09 deck......my E is an 04' do they all pretty much play nice together?

Thanks for all the advice guys

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yes they will as long as it is fron an ex or sc. the newer ones have a plug/control for xm too. the shape changed also so you will need to get a new dash trim from your local honda dealer

·
Registered
877 Posts
here's a used p8000bt for pretty dang cheap. Dunno if you care to buy used equipment. Personally 2/3 of the stereo stuff I get used and I've never had any problems. It's allowed me to have nicer stuff than I normally could afford. But then again I'm a broke college guy.

I'd assume that one comes with it, but normally it comes with a usb and an ipod cable, so you wouldn't have to buy one 'aftermarket'. I might be wrong, but I'm also thinking the regular factory ipod cable works as well. I picked up a double din sosche kit which integrates almost seamlessly with the deck. Fits like a glove. The only alpine I ever had was a 9855 I believe. They make some pretty good gear, I just wasn't happy with the 2v preouts. Personally I've had the best experiences with Eclipse and Pioneer/Premier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts