Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me about the new IPods out....the 10 gig and 15 gig are $100 difference....other than the 5 gigs, what make it worth $100 more? What purpose does the docking station do? Can one buy yhr docking station on it's own? Thanks EE

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:4181cb4dc2="Eazy E"]Tell me about the new IPods out....the 10 gig and 15 gig are $100 difference....other than the 5 gigs, what make it worth $100 more? What purpose does the docking station do? Can one buy yhr docking station on it's own? Thanks EE[/quote:4181cb4dc2]

Why not just check out the Apple web site?
All the answers to the questions you've asked are there...

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ (for product info)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...w1vbVwwIUQwSRt/0.0.5.1.0.5.21.1.1.1.2.0.0.1.0 (for purchase info)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The 15GB iPod comes with a dock, carrying case, and wired remote. The dock, which is very handy, is basically like a sync cradle for a PDA. You connect the dock to your computer and leave it there. Then, when you're ready to connect, just drop it in, and it'll charge and sync automatically. The dock also has a line-out, so you can drop it in and it can charge and play to your stereo. Could you do the same thing with the cables? Sure, but it's not as convenient.

The wired remote is pretty basic- just play, volume, and track foward/back. However, since you'll want to keep your iPod in the case (to keep it from getting scratched), it's nice considering you'd have to take the iPod out of the case everytime you needed to make a change.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Save some money and get a 2nd generation Ipod from Apple's website. I picked up a 10 gig for $199 and a 20 gig for $299. They are refurbished and have the same warranty as one from a store.

Email me at [email protected] and I will send you the link if you want it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It may be too late for you, but I got the 2nd Gen 20G for Windows at Best Buy at a whopping $200 off just two weeks ago. They were marked down from $499 to $299 as clearance because the new ones came out the first week in May.

I can't believe I put off getting an mp3 player for this long. I've been wanting to get one for 2 years now. I have listened to more of my music collection than ever before! I've got two-thirds of my CD collection in the I-Pod and still have 10 gigs of space left to fill! Once I figure out how to convert my vinyl records - remember those - to digital I'll probably have to juggle the music that I can put on the 'Pod at one time.

The only thing I dislike is the sync function in the Windows version. It erases and reloads ALL the songs instead of just the songs that have been added since the last upload. Did they fix this in the new ones?

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:2cdd0c96f9="Alien Element"]The only thing I dislike is the sync function in the Windows version. It erases and reloads ALL the songs instead of just the songs that have been added since the last upload. Did they fix this in the new ones?[/quote:2cdd0c96f9]

That can't be true!?! Can it?!?

There must be a setting somewhere.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Here's the dialog box you get when you connect the IPod to the firewire port or when you manually hit the SYNC button...

You can add tracks individually, but I may add 10 to 15 albums between sync's. I just sync up while I get ready for work so I don't have to sit there and wait.

·
Registered
176 Posts
[quote:e5afbab76f="Alien Element"]Once I figure out how to convert my vinyl records - remember those - to digital I'll probably have to juggle the music that I can put on the 'Pod at one time. [/quote:e5afbab76f]

My dad is currently converting his vinyl to mp3-- I'll try to find out his method and send you a pm.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:c6826929e8="Alien Element"]Here's the dialog box you get when you connect the IPod to the firewire port or when you manually hit the SYNC button...

You can add tracks individually, but I may add 10 to 15 albums between sync's. I just sync up while I get ready for work so I don't have to sit there and wait.[/quote:c6826929e8]

Alien, I used to have MMJB and did not have this problem with my Archos (unless this is an iPod freak thing, which I doubt). IIRC there is a sync setting that allows you to toggle between complete replacement and iterative additions to the existing files. I think you just need to wade through the settings to find that. The whole idea of syncing is based upon the iterative approach not complete replacement and I think you'd have lots of people in an uproar if this was truly the case. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've heard this is the case with windows iPods using MusicMatch. There are a few other programs that do a much better job on the windows side... or so I hear. I've got a mac, so everything is beautiful from my end! :lol: If you're willing to hang in there, though, the Windows version of iTunes should be here by the end of the year (bringing with it Apple's iTunes Music Store which TOTALLY rocks, btw) and the user experience should be back on par.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the 3G 30GB iPod and it so rocks. The Belkin auto adapter has a line out connection which makes connection in the E Extremely Excellently Easy. 8)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe that is a security feature from/for Apple. Its built into the syncing software. The purpose is that if you take your Ipod to someone elses computer and want to borrow their Mp3's, you loose yours. And when you take your Ipod home and try to copy the new Mp3s to your computer it will ask you if you want to erase the Library on your computer or cancel the transfer.

I believe that is the case-Im sure this can be found on Apple.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, it's an anti-piracy thing... but couldn't you just copy your friends library using the IPod as a mounted hard disk then offload them to your PC and add them to your own library. Then sync and have both collections!

Not that I condone music piracy, but Apple is being silly if they think that they can stop file sharing in this manner.

Instead of converting my vinyl records to digital, I would much rather find someone who has the same title on CD and copy it. Would that be considered piracy, since I do own the same music just in a different format?
Hmmm, this could get tricky since I have Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" and "Ride the Lightning" on vinyl - and you know how they are about file sharing!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts