Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully you can answer this question for me thoroughly. I was looking at the web site and came across the aftermarket harness that allows an iPod to be hooked up to the factory stereo through the data output of the iPod, not just the audio jack (I don't know the technical names for the two outputs, but it's not where just the audio cord plugs in). It says that this will allow me to completely control my iPod through the factory radio (scroll through playlists, artists, albums, songs, charge the iPod, etc.)

I need to know if my stereo will display all the information, like the song and album and artist or playlist, and if I can completely control it only touching the stereo and keeping my iPod locked in the glove box. I also need to know if it will keep my iPod charged, but not run down the battery when the car is off. Finally, I would like to know if I can use this and still have my AUX input that came from the factory to use on my iPhone when I want to listen to Pandora. I have an '07 Element EX with the factory stereo.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If your asking about the USA spec.. If you have an XM radio the name of the song and the artist will show in the display. It will keep your ipod charged and does not run down the battery. You can control it from the radio or the controls on your steering wheel. And you can still use your aux port. Oh and I don't know about the play lists I don't use them but I think they have to be named Honda 1 through 6 to use the channel buttons.
I drilled a hole in the back of my glove box and keep it in there. I never take it out unless I want to add more songs.
I think it's the best mod i've done on my E

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your asking about the USA spec.. If you have an XM radio the name of the song and the artist will show in the display. It will keep your ipod charged and does not run down the battery. You can control it from the radio or the controls on your steering wheel. And you can still use your aux port. Oh and I don't know about the play lists I don't use them but I think they have to be named Honda 1 through 6 to use the channel buttons.
I drilled a hole in the back of my glove box and keep it in there. I never take it out unless I want to add more songs.
I think it's the best mod i've done on my E
So, you're more than happy with it, and you never think you could do more if you just had your iPod in your hand?

I really want this to work like its working in my head, but don't want to spend the money for something that doesn't give me full control over my iPod. I do have XM buttons, and I just wanted to make sure that will let me go to any artist, any album, any song, all from the controls on my stereo.

Thanks so much for helping, this very well could be the greatest thing I've ever done to my element if it works like I want it to!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
So, you're more than happy with it, and you never think you could do more if you just had your iPod in your hand?

I really want this to work like its working in my head, but don't want to spend the money for something that doesn't give me full control over my iPod. I do have XM buttons, and I just wanted to make sure that will let me go to any artist, any album, any song, all from the controls on my stereo.

Thanks so much for helping, this very well could be the greatest thing I've ever done to my element if it works like I want it to!
Here you go, check out this thread:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56199

I love it. If you have any questions after you read my post on how it works
as well as how to install it, let me know.

Here are the answers to the questions in your first post.

I need to know if my stereo will display all the information, like the song and album and artist or playlist, and if I can completely control it only touching the stereo and keeping my iPod locked in the glove box.
Yes, you can leave your iPod in the glove box and fully control it from the factory radio.

I also need to know if it will keep my iPod charged, but not run down the battery when the car is off.
No, once your car goes off, it stops charging. It thinks its charging, but its not. I recommend disconnecting your iPod when the E is off!!!

Finally, I would like to know if I can use this and still have my AUX input that came from the factory to use on my iPhone when I want to listen to Pandora.
Why dont you hook up your iPhone to the USA Spec?? This way you can listen to Pandora the same way you listen to your iPod!!
I have fully tested this with a v3 and v4 iPhone. Works like a charm!!!! You cant control anything if you are listening to Pandora
because you will be in the direct mode of the USA Spec (the usa spec also has an AUX in, so you can have
two AUX ins in your E, the factory one, and the usa spec one!!)

To clear up a few things that Rick mentioned. You do not have to rename
your playlists. Check out my pictures. It goes through them all. I didnt drill
a hole in my glove box, I just put the cable over the top of the glove box.
There is enough room between the top of the glove box and the bottom of
the dash to put the cable. This allows me to keep the iPod in the glove box,
or if I am in direct mode, I can put the iPod on the passenger seat or my
center console.

Like I said, read through my post, and let me know if you have any other
questions!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that pretty much wraps it up. So you would probably say that this is fairly easy and I can do it on a Saturday afternoon?

And I want to keep my aux as an option because my plan is to lock all this up in the glove box with the iPod and never touch it again. I want to minimize cords, but I need to keep my iPhone out because I still get calls, and I will keep it mounted on the dash.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I think that pretty much wraps it up. So you would probably say that this is fairly easy and I can do it on a Saturday afternoon?

And I want to keep my aux as an option because my plan is to lock all this up in the glove box with the iPod and never touch it again. I want to minimize cords, but I need to keep my iPhone out because I still get calls, and I will keep it mounted on the dash.
Gotchya.

It took me a couple of hours, but as you can see, I took a lot of pix. I wanted
to document this as best as I could. I would say that with my tips and tricks
in that install guide post, you should be done in less than an hour. If I did mine
again, I bet I could do it in 30 - 45 minutes. Its that easy.

Keep us posted on what you do and when you do it!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm waiting on my taxes next week, then I'm gonna order it and get it installed the first Saturday after it comes in. While I'm in there, I'm gonna wire a 12V for my GPS and keep it hidden behind the dash to keep it all tucked away, so I'll post how it all goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts