Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by my Honda dealer that i should to have my hitch installed by the dealer so that my warranty will be honored if I have any problems. Unfortunately the dealer does not install a 2" hitch. I was told that i could get an adaptor to make it a 2" hitch but that seems flakey to me. I have read in this forum that lots of people are installing 2" hitches and the site is even sponsored by Valley hitches. I want a 2" hitch because so many attachments are for 2" hitches. Is there an actual problem with this or is my dealer giving me bogus info? Help.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I was told by my Honda dealer that i should to have my hitch installed by the dealer so that my warranty will be honored if I have any problems. Unfortunately the dealer does not install a 2" hitch. I was told that i could get an adaptor to make it a 2" hitch but that seems flakey to me. I have read in this forum that lots of people are installing 2" hitches and the site is even sponsored by Valley hitches. I want a 2" hitch because so many attachments are for 2" hitches. Is there an actual problem with this or is my dealer giving me bogus info? Help.
Ya. Do a search for it. The '09's seem to have a lower plastic rear bumper and it complicates things a little. You can find some pictures that shows the issue and whether or not you want to do it that way or not. I don't think it'd bother me personally.

Look at the bottom of the page for links to other posts on this but here's one that shows the problem.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54461

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Very good question on the "dealer says it will void my warranty". It will in no way void your warranty for installing a 2" hitch. What you tow with it may but they will have a hard time proving that one. You are better off getting the 2" from the start and not using the adapter. The adapter extends the hitch out farther and puts more strain on the tongue.

U-haul has been a very good place for many of us who don't have the time or tools and know-how to install the hitch. Their prices are very good too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disappointed

Wow, That looks terrible with the bumper cut away. I'd like to get a 2" hitch but I'll have to be assured they can do a better job than that.
A 1 1/4 hitch with an adapter is not appealing either. With an additional fitting, whatever I put on there will be loosey goosey, especially a bike rack.

Shucky darn.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I don't think any of those E's had their bumper covers cut. Those were just pushed up and out of the way. If you had the cover cut to fit down around the receiver it would probably look a lot better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2" U-Haul hitch on my 09 and I am very pleased with it. It does push up on the plastic a little, but is not noticable unless you are down on your knee's looking at it. I did no cutting of the plastic at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other Pics Looking better

I scrolled down to some other Pics from the link supplied above and the hitch looks better in those Pics. I think i will do the 2" hitch. Most attachments are 2".

I was quoted $326 and an additional $195 for a relay box that will keep your electrical system from being compromised. Is the relay necessary?

$520 plus tax seems excessively expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed the U-Haul badged version of the Valley hitch.. Mine doesn't touch the plastic. Took maybe an hour (if even that) to do out in the driveway with common hand tools.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I scrolled down to some other Pics from the link supplied above and the hitch looks better in those Pics. I think i will do the 2" hitch. Most attachments are 2".

I was quoted $326 and an additional $195 for a relay box that will keep your electrical system from being compromised. Is the relay necessary?

$520 plus tax seems excessively expensive.
Somebody will have to confirm if the connectors are the same in the '07-'09 element like all the other Honda models from those years. Assuming it is, you can buy that $195 relay box for a quarter of the price on Ebay and it takes about 10 minutes to lean under the dash and plug it in to the socket already provided and then lift the lid for the spare tire and plug the trailer pigtail in to the other socket (also prewired.) The kit like this not only protects your electrical system in case of problems with the trailer wiring (THAT never happens...) but it's cheaper and easier to do than U haul's "universal" trailer wiring. I bought a similar kit for my E and it turned out to not only be equal to the Honda kit at a fraction of the cost, but it actually WAS the Honda kit in a different bag. Search Ebay for element trailer. The biggest hassle is locating that preinstalled plug by your feet. It's clear over next to the left hand wall up past the hood release.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Element-All-07-08-Trailer-Towing-Wire-Harness_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1c0c4599eeQQitemZ120464972270QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And this is how easy it is to install.

http://www.capandhitch.com/PDF/HITCHES/CME-56029-INS.PDF

The hitch #78258 is available from U-haul for $135 and they charge between $30 and $60 to install it here in Indiana. I don't see their rate online but you can get it local to you at
U-HAUL CENTER BREMERTON
2804 Kitsap Way
(6Th & Wycoff)
Bremerton, WA 98312
(360) 479-5710

·
Registered
27 Posts
2" hitch for 2009

CORMAC, for what it's worth, I just ordered a 2 inch hitch plus the wiring harness from ETrailer.com for my wife's 2009 Element EX. ETrailer has a decent reputaion on this forum.

The hitch I ordered was Draw-Tight (p/n 75659) at $153.95. There was also a Hidden Hitch available for a dollar less.

The wiring harness includes the stuff in the 'relay box' that keeps your electrical system from being 'compromised'. This was p/n 118645 and cost $44.95.

They offer free shipping (UPS ground) for orders over $150, so mine came in under $200 with me installing it.

The install instructions on their site are straight forward and there is an abundance of free advice available on this forum.

And, as already noted, NO it won't void your warranty to install a non-Honda hitch. Some dealers are ignorant/mos-informed or even devious at times.

Good Luck

·
Registered
715 Posts
I just installed a 2" hitch on mine and the wiring harness. Under $200 for both. Very simple to install. The 2" hitch is usually classified as a class 3 which means it will carry a heavier load than the 1-1/2", but the load rating of the vehicle is what you need to pay attention to. Not the hitch rating.

The reason you need a converter for the trailer wiring is because Japanese vehicles have the turn signal lights separate from the tail/brake lights. The converter changes it so your tail/brake/turn signals will work with the single light bulbs on each side of your trailer. The connector you need is T-One brand part # 118465. About $40.00. You just plug one module under the dash and the pigtail to a connector in the spare tire area and you're ready to go. About a 3 minute install. Don't pay someone else to do it. It's too simple.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did the harness in like 5 minutes! I love the fact that the E is pre wired like this! The trailer place I went to wanted $80...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed 2inc. Tow hitch and wiring in 45 minutes, so my son can pull his seadoo for summer very straight forward and easy with great instruction on wiring from fumes box und $200.00 from E-bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts