Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my new 2008 EX, and we are still deciding whether the repair protection offered by the dealership's owner's (Larry Miller) company, Landcar is worthwhile. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if in 7 years/100,000 miles, there is a high likelihood of $1800 worth of repairs.

The plan is no deductible, includes towing, $25/day rental car reimbursement, and is supposed to cover all repairs (not preemptive maintenance). Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,491 Posts
Isn't that what auto insurance is for? Sounds like pure profit to me....... :mad::rolleyes:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Run as fast as you can from this. Third-party (not Honda) service contracts are not worth the paper they're printed on - they are full of Ferengi-print with all sorts of exclusions that mean you pay anyway. That's the business model - sell something of perceived value that costs little or nothing to support because you rarely pay out.

If you feel you need the security of an extended service plan, then buy the official Honda contract, called "Honda Care", and the paperwork has the Honda logo on it. And be clear about it, if it does not say "Honda Care", then it is not the Honda service program.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I take it that this place is not a honda dealership? The honda warranties are usually less than $1000 bumper to bumper. I am a warranty person myself and basically just write it out, weigh it out. What kind of warranty is on it now?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we've pretty much decided against this thing, but for the sake of discussion and education, I'd like to continue the conversation.

Yes, it is a Honda dealership. Larry Miller owns like 40 dealerships (not all Honda) in Oregon/NV/ID/UT and owns the Utah Jazz.

This is a brand new car (mostly, anyway...it's going to have 400ish miles on it...it's coming from 120 miles away from us) and carries the basic 3/36 + 5/60 that I think is generally accepted. What does Honda Care add/cover?

My general belief is that Hondas are very reliable and that I'm unlikely to have anything catastrophic happen, particularly if i do the regular maintenance (as I always do with my cars). I sold a 2004 Prius to get the Element, and we had not done a single REPAIR on the thing in that time, only maintenance stuff. So I believe a car can be extremely reliable and repair free.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I purchased the honda care warranty for my element just for the piece of mind of having a warranty that covers everything besides general maint. I paid $960 for 7/100,000 miles from the production date. I would say just from the price that they are trying to make a heck of a profit off of it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
consumers report i read earlier this year had an interesting article. they said of all the car extended warranties, only 23% of those purchased benefited them financially.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just purchased my new 2008 EX, and we are still deciding whether the repair protection offered by the dealership's owner's (Larry Miller) company, Landcar is worthwhile. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if in 7 years/100,000 miles, there is a high likelihood of $1800 worth of repairs.

The plan is no deductible, includes towing, $25/day rental car reimbursement, and is supposed to cover all repairs (not preemptive maintenance). Thoughts?
BlackSheep....Personally I think the extended warranty for a Honda is a waste of money especially in view of the outstanding reliability reputation the product line has demonstrated. I am not saying that nothing will ever go wrong with a Honda (stuff does wear out) but it just takes way longer. I have almost 80K on my E and have had nothing major happen to it. I have replaced the battery and put a new set of tires on it and am getting ready to replace the front brake pads and rotors. Based on personal experience if I were buying, for instance a Chevrolet, I would buy all the warranties I could get.:-D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought from Larry Miller too!

Hi there! I just traded in my 06 E for an 09 E with navi at the same dealer. I bought the landcar warranty. I started researching and decided I was going to cancel it and get the Hondacare online for a lot less. When I went in there to cancel, we went over the things that are covered and benefits and it really does look like the Landcar one is much better. It covers alot more than Hondacare and you can take your car to any dealer, not just a Honda dealer. I probably paid too much for it. I paid $1550 (I supposedly got a discount of $250 for being a Costco member), but probably could have negotiated to pay less. I have used extended warranties in the past that have saved me quite a bit. With something like touchscreen navi, I wouldn't be surprised if the touchscreen or display went out before my 84 month warranty is up. Replacement of that alone would be worth it. Also, the 3 year standard warranty for new Hondas doesn't include road side assistance, which is included in the extended warranty.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I didn't buy one on my E. I'm trusting the reliability that Honda is known for will (hope) be here on my E. I didn't buy one on my Tacoma- Thankfully, I never put a dime above nomal maint, and replaced brakes (only do to rust) at 80k.........

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I didn't buy one on my E. I'm trusting the reliability that Honda is known for will (hope) be here on my E. I didn't buy one on my Tacoma- Thankfully, I never put a dime above nomal maint, and replaced brakes (only do to rust) at 80k.........
I'm with you. In 45 years of car buying, some new-some used, I have never purchased an extended warranty. I have never regretted it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
of the 23% who actually used aftermarket warranties, i bet most of them were Audi owners. i tell everyone, if you're going to buy an audi, make sure it's a CPO car, or has an aftermarket warranty, you're going to need it. plenty of our customers have made double their money back on them. but this car is not one of them... oil, tires and brakes... drive it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
---have to agree with Spam----it's a Honda---- if you were buying a Daewoo, you might want to get all the help you could muster (no offense to Daewoo owners)---g-o-o-o-o-d maintenance schedule is the ticket:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've seen the light....kinda

Ok, so I canceled the extended warranty I just bought for a full refund, but I decided to purchase the Hondacare online for $580 (72 month/80K miles). I know, I know, it's a Honda but I feel better with the warranty & roadside assistance (since Honda doesn't provide it with their standard warranty) and $580 is a reasonable price...$8 a month for less worry (as unfounded as that worry may be).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Extended warranties are like playing the lottery or buying insurance. If you don't need them They seem like a waste of money. But if you do need them. The you'll be glad you did.

Sort of like playing the lottery.

:)

D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Extended warranties are like playing the lottery or buying insurance. If you don't need them They seem like a waste of money. But if you do need them. The you'll be glad you did.

Sort of like playing the lottery.

:)

D
Thats a great way of putting it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts