Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in Canada, and every 2nd oil change, they want to clean the brakes. Mine is an 08, and so far I have had three brake cleanings @ $100 each, would love to know if all dealers do this? I have queried it, and am told that they take it apart, put grease inside. Disc brakes are open to the elements, seems like a poor design, if it needs cleaning for normal use so often.

I like the element, I also like good value for my dollar.
Thanks for reading
cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
Cleaning Brakes

I have never heard of the term "Cleaning the Brakes" and for 100 clams a pop I think your dealer is taking you for a ride. I would ask them what they do for that $100 you are paying. Now, it could be that they are lubricating the pins and other sliding surfaces of the brakes but I would ask anyway. Actually you could be doing this procedure yourself and save some money.

Hope this helped.

·
12,180 Posts
I'm in Canada, and every 2nd oil change, they want to clean the brakes. Mine is an 08, and so far I have had three brake cleanings @ $100 each, would love to know if all dealers do this? I have queried it, and am told that they take it apart, put grease inside. Disc brakes are open to the elements, seems like a poor design, if it needs cleaning for normal use so often.

I like the element, I also like good value for my dollar.
Thanks for reading
cheers

A brake service (cleaning and servicing) when done properly will take about an hour to do. It is part of the "B" service. Are you getting it done because your dealer tells you it needs to be done? Or are you following the maintenance minder on the dash?

·
Registered
715 Posts
The only time mine will ever get "cleaned" is if I'm doing a brake job (at about 75,000 - 100,000 miles) or if the calipers are sticking. I think your dealer is just cleaning your pockets. I would find another dealership to take it to.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The only time mine will ever get "cleaned" is if I'm doing a brake job (at about 75,000 - 100,000 miles) or if the calipers are sticking. I think your dealer is just cleaning your pockets. I would find another dealership to take it to.
You also live in TN where it probably doesn't snow often in the winter and salt is rarely spread on the roads. Therefore, you have less stuff to cause your calipers and pads to stick.

The OP lives much further north and possibly closer to the ocean. I'd think that where he lives salt is used to keep the roads clear of ice. In which case, it would be wise to routinely clean and lube parts of the brake system. Especially considering the number of people who mention they have pads sticking b/c the slides are corroded.

In the OP's case, I'd guess that a good brake servicing after the winter might be a good idea. Since I really don't know the climate where he lives and how many miles he drives, maybe every other oil change is a good interval for that service.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The price might seem excessive, but a yearly brake service is a good idea. (To me service= remove and clean caliper & components, inspect pads & components, re-lube & reassemble. Every other year add brake fluid flush/bleed)

Depending on the year of the E, and the wording in the maintenance schedule, it is factory recomended to perform an "inspection" or "service" close to yearly. Lets assume you're doing 5-10k mile oil changes, every other oil change would be about yearly for most people.

I recomend doing it in the spring if you live in an area that is prone to corrosion and/or uses snow & ice melting chemicals on the roads.

Search for "sticking caliper" or look for the treads about rear brakes draging and needing new pads and rotors every 20k miles and you'll see why it is such a good idea.

It isn't really a poor design, it is just part of owning a car. There is nothing special or different about Honda's disc brake design as compared with Toyota, Kia, Ford, GM or most brands with similar type vehicles. I hear comments all the time like "I never had to do this with other brands" or "I've never heard of lubricating the brakes" but I've been doing it as part of normal maintenance since I was a little kid. Every spring when the snow tires came off I'd help my Dad clean, lube, and adjust the drum brakes on our old VWs. To someone that has never done the maintenance on their previous cars I say, "so don't do it on this one either." If that worked ok for you before, it'll prolly be fine for you now." Most people don't keep their cars long enough for it to realy matter anyway. Just the absolute most basic maintenance (occasional oil change, new tires and battery, couple sets of brake pads) will prolly get you 4 years or 100k miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm going to stop with the brake cleaning, as I don't think it is required for the warranty.
I hate to tell you this, but I would not stop it. I also have an 08, and live just south of you. I've had to do mine twice already - I can hear the right rear brake pad dragging against the rotor every January after a few weeks of winter rain. I do it myself, though, I wouldn't have the dealer do it. It is not hard if you have jack stands and a couple of wrenches.

It should not be required for the warranty, though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
IMHO, where you live with the salt and corrosion, it is probably best to have the brakes "cleaned". I presume that means re-greasing the slider pins and pad contact points. However, $100 for that service is a complete rip off. It's likely 50 cents of grease, and the rest labor.

I used to live in salt and snow Michigan. Never had the brakes cleaned on my old beater prelude. Over the 18 years of life that car gave me, no brake/caliper related issues. Now I live in california, and Ive been converted to the a Do-it-yourselfer clan - I do relube the brakes at each pad or rotor change (twice on the element in 6 years).

I'm going to stop with the brake cleaning, as I don't think it is required for the warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Absolutely

the only time mine will ever get "cleaned" is if i'm doing a brake job (at about 75,000 - 100,000 miles) or if the calipers are sticking. I think your dealer is just cleaning your pockets. I would find another dealership to take it to.
Absolutely!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will be in the minority here, but here goes. I've had the car for 3 years, never opened up the brakes until just now. The previous owner never did either, as far as I could tell. 70,000 on it, plenty of city driving. After reading this thread, and some others, decided to look. Pulled the pads off, wear is uniform, all about 5-6 mm thick. Rotors at the upper end of the range. lubed, put it back together, will not bother looking for another year. That's the front ones. I suppose I should look at the rear ones, too. Will do when it stops raining, here in Seattle it's usually July 5th :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts