Honda Element Owners Club banner

What do you think of the appearance of the 2009 Element?

• It's awesome! Way better than before!

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • It's good.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Meh. Don't love it, don't hate it.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • It's not my cup of tea...

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Seriously, Honda, what were you thinking? Eww!

Votes: 14 13.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, kids, I've seen a few comments on the 2009 freshening (I refuse to call it a redesign), but I'm really curious to see if the comments are reflective of the majority, or if they're just random comments. That said, I'm putting up a poll...

What do you think of the appearance of the 2009 Element?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now, I'll officially weigh in.

I'll apologize in advance, since I know this is gonna sound harsh, but... The new look? Deal-breaker. The front-end looks like a tacky afterthought shoved on there when someone remembered it was due soon and forgot all about it. The flattening of the hood clashes with the unchanged curved roof, and the clumpy thick grille combined with the wider headlights make the front end look like it is wider than the rest of the car. Maybe if the Ford Escape-wannabe headlights at least matched up the grille it'd be better, but they don't match on the bottom, and for no good reason.

In fairness though, I like the new rear taillights, and I like the updated IP. And who knows, maybe it'll grow on me... And besides, incongruent front-ends seem to be Honda's bag lately. I mean, look at the new Accord, all rounded and sleek with a boxy grille that makes no sense.

Overall though, I'm not impressed. Here's to hoping that the 2010 (likely in calender 2010 as a 2011 model at this rate) redesign is an actual redesign that again makes the Element a neat, coherent, awesome car that keeps the soul of the original but in a neat and coherent package. The '09 feels like a token effort and that Honda's gonna drag the Element out back and shoot it one of these days.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm amused by all of the reaction to what amounts to very minor changes in design. I think it still looks like an Element and it brings the E into line with the rest of the Honda Truck market front-end-wise. Granted it's not for everyone one, but if my 2005 MM was gone tomorrow, there's nothing about the 2009 that would keep my from buying it.

Seriously, how many people bought their E's for the looks?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Which is why I voted "meh". I don't think the changes are really that drastic, and I never really loved the look of the E. I do love the usefulness of it though, and the new ones are just as useful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
..(snip) it brings the E into line with the rest of the Honda Truck market front-end-wise. (snip)

+1. Not so much of a change in exterior that it would be a deal breaker to me. However, from the interior pics, the new fabric is blech AND eww, rolled into one!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm amused by all of the reaction to what amounts to very minor changes in design. I think it still looks like an Element and it brings the E into line with the rest of the Honda Truck market front-end-wise. Granted it's not for everyone one, but if my 2005 MM was gone tomorrow, there's nothing about the 2009 that would keep my from buying it.

+1 I also find it amusing that so many E owners are upset about the new "styling". To me the E has always been and still is a form follows function design.

·
12,178 Posts
My first E was an impulse purchase. My second E was bought because i was givien an offer i couldn't refuse on my first one. I originally wanted to wait for the 2007 CRV to come out. If i had to choose now i would take the CRV over the new E. Not for based on looks.....but for my current needs the E doesn't fit the bill anymore.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did the It's Good vote. I'm thinking of the OBP color, of course. I would like the Oreo-ness of the black panels though! :D

But overall, it's fun. I guess I'd take the cooler in place of the sunroof which I don't use much...to each is own though. It's kinda a this or that for me...both would be preferable, but one is just as fun as the other. :lol:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What a turd. Honda should be ashamed.
The 09' face lift makes the Element just another cute-ute by eliminating all of it's quirky features. It is completely undesirable to any outdoors man or sportsman with it's softer than the SC street looks. The only thing that would make it even more repulsive would be if they made it a hybrid or E-85 compliant, both of which are fallacies and scams purported by our illustrious government.
It looks like I'll be replacing the E with a Ridgeline if Honda doesn't come to their senses and re-redesign the Element. I just hope they don't neuter the Ridgeline before then.:)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Since the E is the original shoebox vehicle (I know the XB has been around but not in the US) sold here, Honda had the courage to do it first-I think the new E is a feeble attempt to emulate the Scion. I like the curved fender flares of the original design, it breaks up the cubist monotony. Glad I have my 07 already..on the other hand, if it came with a tdi engine.....:D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I started my Element addiction because of it's quirkiness and function. I was sick of all motor companies making vehicles that looked like exact duplicates of each other . . . it's nice that I can actually pick out my vehicle in a crowded lot!

So I don't like the roundedness of the '09 because it makes it look too close to the other Hondas and I'm very disappointed they took out the sunroof and limited the availability of the manual transmission.

That being said, it's still an Element with all its function so I just had to vote good. I just hope Honda does a better job next time around! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would not have bought an Element had they not made the SC. It's not that I dislike the "original" element becuase the car is largely similar, but the changes they made all of the sudden made the car appeal to me. I'd assume this is the logic behind the facelift the 09 gets..most likely it will appeal to a new segment of buyers. If you already have an Element, I don't think honda thinks you will be buying an 09 but for many, the changes they made will be the tipping point to cause them to take a second look. I for one like the changes they made. IMO, this should have been the change they made in 2007 to run for a few years and go into an entire redesign next year. THe changes they made in 2007 are almost invisable unless you know what to look for.
Anyway, I do like it but I know there are several people that didn't like the SC when it came out for the opposite reasons that I do like it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I would not have bought an Element had they not made the SC. Anyway, I do like it but I know there are several people that didn't like the SC when it came out for the opposite reasons that I do like it.
I didn't like the SC at first either but, it it grew on me after a while. The thing about the SC though is that it is sub category of the basic Element and the original flavor was still available for the purists. Now with the 09' there is the SC and the pretty much other SC. They screwed up by eliminating the unpainted panels as an option for starters and then ruined it completely by re-designing it as a street only vehicle unsuitable to be seen with in front of small children and persons with sensitive stomachs. I'll probably catch some ire from the few 09' supporters but, I'm confident my feelings are the same as many EOCers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think it's great because it a slight change & not an extreme change like the scion. I feel bad for the scion owner who bought the last model.

As for me I have on 08 and the changes to me go both ways...I like both designs and I'm glad I don't regret getting on 08 >.<

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Y'all should have been around when the first 06's came out with the painted panels-- now that ruined the Element! (you should have SEEN the threads then :rolleyes:) painted panels have been and always will be evil, and now even moreso do to their being metal. :evil:

What's up with the silver bar thingy on the back? it looks like a Ford Escape silver bar thingy... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I didn't like the SC at first either but, it it grew on me after a while. The thing about the SC though is that it is sub category of the basic Element and the original flavor was still available for the purists. Now with the 09' there is the SC and the pretty much other SC. They screwed up by eliminating the unpainted panels as an option for starters and then ruined it completely by re-designing it as a street only vehicle unsuitable to be seen with in front of small children and persons with sensitive stomachs. I'll probably catch some ire from the few 09' supporters but, I'm confident my feelings are the same as many EOCers.

I completely see where you are coming from. I knew from reading the forums that the SC was sort of the red headed stepchild in the Element family where as you put it "the purists" did not care for it. I also see the point about the painted panels and IMO, they probably should have kept them unpainted in some form becuase it is what essentially defines the element in the first place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts