Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 05' E about a month ago, no matter how much gas I put in it or how dry I run it my fill ups are never more than 13 gallons (actually my max is about 12.6)

I thought the vehicle was equipped with a 15.9 gallon tank? I ran the gas gauge past the E the other day just to try and see if maybe it has a big reserve. I didnt run out of gas, but cant imagine there was much gas left. Filled up and only put in 12.6 gallons.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The book says 15.9. But remember, when the gas light comes on, you should have appx 3 gallons left.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Gas gauges are never actual measurements of the amount of fuel in reserve, just suggestions as to whether you should consider getting gas or not.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
This thing needs another 5gal. My light comes on when I reach around 230-250 miles. My motorcycle (Honda ST1100) can go that far on a tank of gas. I need it to go 350+ If it had a bigger tank people wouldn't complain about the gas mileage so much.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I bought a used 05' E about a month ago, no matter how much gas I put in it or how dry I run it my fill ups are never more than 13 gallons (actually my max is about 12.6)

I thought the vehicle was equipped with a 15.9 gallon tank? I ran the gas gauge past the E the other day just to try and see if maybe it has a big reserve. I didnt run out of gas, but cant imagine there was much gas left. Filled up and only put in 12.6 gallons.
It's not a good idea to run the tank until it's empty. The reason it has a 'big reserve' is that you have a pressurized fuel system and an in-tank fuel pump. That pump sucks in air, and it's done. Very expensive to replace too...

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's not a good idea to run the tank until it's empty. The reason it has a 'big reserve' is that you have a pressurized fuel system and an in-tank fuel pump. That pump sucks in air, and it's done. Very expensive to replace too...
Thanks for that useful tidbit Tim :razz:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
And there's so little chance of it, but next time it's convenient, look underneath and make sure something didn't happen to the bottom of the tank to leave it scrunched in a bit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another thing to consider is your fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the gas tank. To run your E low on fuel on a regular basis is a terrible idea. Due to not wanting to replace fuel pumps regualrly I have a rule that when the gas gauge gets to 1/4 of a tank fuel is required.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another thing to consider is your fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the gas tank. To run your E low on fuel on a regular basis is a terrible idea. Due to not wanting to replace fuel pumps regualrly I have a rule that when the gas gauge gets to 1/4 of a tank fuel is required.
That is a great rule, and even more because not all gas stations clean their underground tanks on schedule, therefore sometimes you will pump in some residue along with the fuel. No problem there, the fuel tanks are designed to trap that on the bottom part of them, but when you go close to Empty, the fuel pump will probably start to suck residue from the bottom and either get clogged or send it to the injectors which will get clogged.

I do also try and never go below 1/4

·
Registered
550 Posts
This thing needs another 5gal. My light comes on when I reach around 230-250 miles. My motorcycle (Honda ST1100) can go that far on a tank of gas. I need it to go 350+ If it had a bigger tank people wouldn't complain about the gas mileage so much.
Nah, they would still complain. The folks who are getting 18 mpg on the road would still think the rest of us were lying.
se

1 - 11 of 11 Posts