Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I just finished building my platform. Turned out way better than I had envisioned. Did it over the Superbowl weekend, because...well, my team wasn't in, so who cares.

First build attempt. Luckily my buddies woodshop had EVERYTHING. So, it's all glue and dominos. Thanks for checking it out.

I have included the cut list as well. Hope this helps. I can add more pics if you have any questions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ramblerdan . I am a data geek. I know how irritated I get when I see something cool and the steps, BUT WHAT ARE THE MEASUREMENTS!! haha

Of course I was showcasing, but I can be helpful at the same time. Haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you!! This is my #1 mod priority and hope to start it soon. This makes things much easier. =D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to throw this out there. I am 5'11" and I have the seat moved up one notch. So the seat is not all the way back. If you are taller, adjust accordingly. Shave off about an inch from the total length.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finish

So, I decided to stain the tops and add a urethane coat or three. I used General Finishes Gel Grey Stain and General Finishes Gel Urethane. I made it look kinda shabby chic. I think I made it too pretty. Whatevs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Amazing! And the floor?

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks a million for posting all the specs. For a wood working novice like me the plans are going to make things SO much easier to visualize during the process.

I want to make some access doors into the storage areas so I don't have to fight against a mattress when the bed is set up. Additionally, I think I'll make one set of boxes a bit narrower than the other in order to create a bit more open floor space.

Question: what did you use for the floor of the boxes? It looks like wood in the bottom, but those panels are not in the plans.

Again, THANKS!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I want to make some access doors into the storage areas so I don't have to fight against a mattress when the bed is set up. Additionally, I think I'll make one set of boxes a bit narrower than the other in order to create a bit more open floor space.
Question: what did you use for the floor of the boxes? It looks like wood in the bottom, but those panels are not in the plans.

Again, THANKS!

Hello, I used 1/4 melamine panel. I cut a dado about 3/4" up from the bottom. IF i didn't have the tools to do this, i would have used a full plywood bottom. Luckily my buddies shop has EVERYTHING. :-D

As for the narrower cabinets, this means I wider middle, which means a potential to bow over time. IMHO, you do no gain that much more floor space. I had that thought too, but after it was said and done, I am am glad i did not. I would like to see the access doors. I thought about doing that as well. I settled for the top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello, I used 1/4 melamine panel. I cut a dado about 3/4" up from the bottom. IF i didn't have the tools to do this, i would have used a full plywood bottom.
I can't tell from any of the pictures, but a heads up that unless that melamine board is the special waterproof kind, the bottom of your boxes will be a disaster if any water gets between the joints. 99% of all melamine board is just a thin veneer over particleboard or MDF (think cheap IKEA furniture). The veneer is wonderfully water and scratch resistant! But the wood composite swells and disintegrates at the slightest hint of moisture. If you'll be placing the boxes on the ground outside while camping and such, I would strongly recommend replacing it completely. If you expect them to always be in the car the particleboard could stay, but I would recommend adding a durable "bathtub" of rubberizing coating or other tough paint to the base. Still a great build overall!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't tell from any of the pictures, but a heads up that unless that melamine board is the special waterproof kind, the bottom of your boxes will be a disaster if any water gets between the joints. 99% of all melamine board is just a thin veneer over particleboard or MDF (think cheap IKEA furniture). The veneer is wonderfully water and scratch resistant! But the wood composite swells and disintegrates at the slightest hint of moisture. If you'll be placing the boxes on the ground outside while camping and such, I would strongly recommend either replacing it completely. If you expect them to always be in the car the particleboard could stay, but I would recommend adding a durable "bathtub" of rubberizing coating or other tough paint to the base. Still a great build overall!

Thanks! I thought about the moisture. I have been lamenting over Plasti-dip since I built it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts