Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I may be buying a 2011 or 2010 Element soon, but in another state... and I'm in California.

So much great stuff on these forums. Love seeing all the custom mods. Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Look at the underhood engine data decal. It shows the engine displacement as well as what emissions standards the vehicle meets. It will say Federal OBD-II and/or California OBD-II. It may also have LEV or ULEV as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are located in CA and you are buying an Element out of state, you probably want to talk to your regular smog person before purchase. Rustedwrench is correct - the sticker will either tell you whether the vehicle was originally first sold in California or not. If it is a federal vehicle (first sold anywhere but CA, though other states now use CARB rules) then you should be able to purchase it and use it in CA. The caveat is that if you are buying a federal Element from out of state and it doesn't have a catalytic converter because someone stole it, you should consider replacing the cat with an OEM out of state Honda part before it gets to CA because no matter what type of vehicle it is, if you replace the cat in CA, only CARB cats can be installed in CA. These tend to be more expensive than cats from Honda dealers in other states.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I may be buying a 2011 or 2010 Element soon, but in another state... and I'm in California.

So much great stuff on these forums. Love seeing all the custom mods. Thanks!
Cali DMV rules for importing an out of state car:

so... probably not going to be able to register a 49 state car in Cali, unless you qualify under one of those exceptions to the rules...

suggest you get the VIN, and have a conversation with a Cali DMV rep, to determine if they consider that VIN OK to register in Cali...

·
Registered
660 Posts
you are looking for this sticker:

Font Gas Technology Rectangle Auto part

it specifically mentions the california ARB. I have not heard of an element not being made California compliant. For smog checks, the catalytic converter will need to match the numbers On that tag.

Reactions: jon_slider
1 - 6 of 6 Posts