Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned many Honda's but I think I finally must admit to myself; the Element is definitiely no Honda....it can't be. My wife jokes and says they must be made by Kia or some other crappy company. I've owned my E. since June of 08' and I think that everything that could possibly go wrong with it has.....I'll buy Honda's again but I would never buy another E.; I'm thoroughly convinced these are farmed out to be manufactured by another company. I'm writing this to inform anyone else considering a Element to use caution and to say; don't get caught in the "novelty" factor of owning one...THESE ARE NO ACCORD OR CIVIC.....PERIOD....Do not factor in anything you think you know about the overall quality of Honda's whan considering an E.

Sorry, I'm finally done!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dont feel the E is a novelty, an Aston Martin Vanquish is a novelty. It all depends on the car you get, not all E's are defect-prone. Some cars are lemons. Some are not.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I see you are really getting the word out, saw you reference this post on another thread. Can you list exactly what has gone wrong and how much you have spent on it? Did you buy it new/used? As you obviously know, you are in the minority with your experiences and cursing its existence will probably fall on deaf ears here. I came over from a Jeep and enjoy the reliable reputation the Element has.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see you are really getting the word out, saw you reference this post on another thread. Can you list exactly what has gone wrong and how much you have spent on it? Did you buy it new/used? As you obviously know, you are in the minority with your experiences and cursing its existence will probably fall on deaf ears here. I came over from a Jeep and enjoy the reliable reputation the Element has.
Hey..Im not looking to rally anyone....I've only posted the absolute truth...take it for whatever it is and nothing more. My E. has turned out to be an F-ing turd....PERIOD.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, your's is an 07'...who knows what you'll have in 4 years...huh?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its fun to speculate, but isn't it true that if there are major defects in the first year or so of a cars life, it's probably a lemon? sure down the road, i might have to fix and issue, alot of factors come into consideration, environment, driving habits, etc.

You can pigeonhole an entire model because of one bad experience, you just can't. A restaurant, what the hell! but a car, not so much.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Original Question:
Is the E really a Honda?

Dave's Answer:
If you look closely, under ultra violet light, on any regular honda, the "H" logo still looks like an "H", but for the Element... if you look at the "H" emblem under ultraviolet, and you can move a mirror around and see that it's actually a "Ford" emblem...

Actually, I have no idea. Sometimes cars are bad. Not every new car comes out and works perfect. SOmetimes there's recalls, or issues. No way to tell, since there's no way to drive a new car for several years in every condition before you release it to the public. You just have to hope your brand new car is a good one...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey..Im not looking to rally anyone....I've only posted the absolute truth...take it for whatever it is and nothing more. My E. has turned out to be an F-ing turd....PERIOD.
I was not accuse you of lying. I asked before but didn't get a response, what problems have you had? Having a list of all that has gone wrong will be more valuable to viewers of the thread. I can understand your frustration. I am having a Jeep worked on and I got some bad news, it may need a new engine. The sad part is, I have had better luck than most with it. I will trade you straight up! :)

·
1,049 Posts

I see you keep dismissing people that have newer model Es.

Well, I own two elements.

One is a 2003 model with 55,000 miles on it and the other is a 2004 model with over 155,000 miles.

We have loved our Elements since the first day we bought them. They are both running as strong as day one.

I wonder how you will dismiss mine.

the box rox said:
I've owned my E. since June of 08'

I notice you bought your Element in June of 2008, so you clearly did not buy it new.

the box rox said:
I'm thoroughly convinced these are farmed out to be manufactured by another company.

Actually, Elements are made in one place and one place only. That is East Liberty Ohio Plant. Which is the same plant that manufactures civics.

I would like you to answer Basset Box's question as to the exact problems you have had.
How many miles were/are on it?
Do you know the history of the Element?
Was it maintained properly or abused?
Did you purchase it from a private party or a dealer?

Answer these questions please.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I dont feel the E is a novelty, an Aston Martin Vanquish is a novelty. It all depends on the car you get, not all E's are defect-prone. Some cars are lemons. Some are not.
Damn straight. The 05 E my wife drove (sold due to financial reasons) was as solid and reliable a vehicle as you will find. My '05 M/T that I just traded ran GREAT but it was developing some suspension issues at 75K which is a little earlier than some other cars, but not enough to fault Honda on the design.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Counterpoint:

My E is coming up on 90,000 miles.

Only issue to date: odometer bulbs went out at about 70,000 miles.

Other than tires, oil and preventive maintenance, the most reliable car I've owned. My plan is to drive it to 200,000 or 300,000 miles, then get another (hybrid? plug-in electric?).

Sorry you got a lemon.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Mine is a 2003 with around 110K miles on it - I'll buy another one, if and when this one dies..............
just normal maintenance, nothing special - only issue I had was the odometer, and that was covered on a Tech Bulletin and replaced for free
Paint still looks good

This is a Honda, built @ the Honda Plant
Built in America, by Americans

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
the_box_rox...

People have posed some questions for you, please give us a nice laundry list of the issues you are having. If you can't then this thread will be removed since it is nothing but noise without some sort of statement of the issues.

Why if you have a 2007 does your profile list a 2003? Is this your second Element or did you select the wrong year? If as T pointed out you purchased a 2003 model in 2007 then there was a 4-5 yr period of time that you personally can't account for. You might not know how your Element was maintained, if at all.

I have a 2003 which I have owned since Jan 2, 2004 when I bought it new with 8 miles on the odometer. It now has 123,000+ miles without a single issue other than bulbs blowing and replacing tires as they wore out and brakes as they wore out. I have done all of the routine maintenance that is required as well.

Making a blanket statement that the Element isn't a Honda because yours might be causing you some grief is very irrational.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sounds like box rox is blowing off steam in regard to his E. There have been no discrepancies listed by him for others to see. I have an 04 and other than normal wear and tear items plus an ELD my E has been outstanding. :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Laundry list:

drivers side power window regulator
passenger side power window regulator
drivers side power lock actuator
Keyless entry replaced due to complete failure
passenger side power mirror motor
a sensor that prevented the o/d button on the shifter from working
the ac control dial has something going on - The ac varies all on it's own...full blast to nothing and back and forth
a short in the passenger side door speaker- goes in and out
a multitude of squeaks, rattles and cluncks - I've yet to fix / locate them all despite replacing lots of bushings, struts and etc.
3 windshields in 12 months (due to poor design?)
a squeal from somwhere around the windshield that at 60+ miles per hour will drive you crazy....can't locate problem
(Still thinking of other things)
the rear hatch / 5th door is stuck shut....will not open

Bought my E. from a private party with 82,000.... it now has 98,000...it seemed to be very well taken care of when purchased and I know I've taken very good care of it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
GO FOR IT, trade for the jeep,both of you will be very happy. by the wat how was your E treated& maintained the first 5 years? how and where was it driven?I traded well sortof traded my $33,000+ montaro for my used 2005 E other than 2 or 3 small things like door clunkson bumps,I wish I had done it years ago. the montaro gave very good service,but bad mpg,&parts cost very high. v6 that had about the same power as the E (havent tried towing yet). get the jeep,thats what you want any way.and your mind will be at ease. and by the way hundi&kia are the same parent co. and make very good units.chocolate,vananilla,chery,grape,ford,bluebarry,gm,mopar,tutifruti,,take your pick they all make crap.&they all make very reliable units. any thing can be trashed then cleaned up to resell. good luck with your new used jeep!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Their are many things I love about my E. and I really appreciate this site....everyone here has been a huge help to me. I just think I've reached the point where the negative outweighs the positive now.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.