Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us (More than Honda intended) are old enough to remember the unique position that the original VW Beetle had in automotive history, specially in its early years (the '50s and '60s).

It was relatively inexpensive, unconventional, totally different in appearance, very practical, and reliable. It could also be had in colors that were quite unlike anything you could get from Detroit. Those who loved it were somewhat crazy about it. It also became something of a generation thing.

While the jury is still out on reliability, most of us have put our trust in Honda's reputation for quality. Otherwise, all of the above seem to apply. As for the generation thing, that may be why the E is attracting so many older owners, who get the same feeling about the E that they had about their old VWs. (Are we trying to regain something of our youth?)

I'd be curious to know how many of the older owners have Beetles (or microbuses) in their past. :?:

I've owned a Beetle, 2 microbuses, Ghia.

Bart

SSM EX

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 1963 Beetle brand new, and also an 'unsafe at any speed' 1966 Corvair that we bought new that we drove until 1982. My son has a restored 1965 Beetle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah! Mine were all new, 'ceptin the "old" microbus.

Aaah, the corvair! So many of us had great hopes for that car!

Did you know that some of the very first ones were bought by Porsche to see what could be learned from them?

Boy did GM screw up with that one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny thing about the Corvair lawsuit, Ralph Nader lost the case in 1974! He filed a similar lawsuit against Porsche and the case was thrown out of court.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I never bought a new bug, but my first car (in 1977) was a '64 bug that I paid $50 for. Sold it for $50 a year later. My second bug was a '65, purchased for $500 in 1986. It looked like it was put together out of spare parts, but it ran great!

I've always thought that someday I'd buy another old bug and restore it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased my first VW bug (a 1967) after returning from Vietnam in 1969, restored one while living in Dallas in 89 (a 1965) and presently have a VW Jetta IV and Golf III. I am now pricing a EX 4WD Automatic here in SC, and it appears the best price I have found so far is $20,733 (+TTL), including roof rack, mud guards, keyless entry, and wheel locks. This seems comparable to what others have found, agreed?

Anyway, the Element is quirky enough to draw me to it, but practical enough to not make me regret it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
While I am not old enough to have purchased an "old school" VW Beattle (born in 1975!) but they were my first car love....my mom's friend had a Tiffany Blue one....with a white rag top....to a 6 year old it was the ulimate car....I wanted a beattle for the longest time, but I never ended up buying one.....and who knows if the E hadn't come along I might have bought a new Bug convertible.....it is just too darn spunky, but alas my E came into my life and I couldn't be happier....plus bugs are so freakin' popular I would just feel like I was running with the crowd, when in reality that is the furthest thing from the truth!

But I do feel the whole "peace, love, and happiness" attitude from MOST E owners.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will hopefully be able to buy an E soon (if I can get a decent deal!! Theres only one choice in Anch.) , and right now own a 73 bus... and an 82 civic. the civic is on its way out, but I have spent so much $$$ on the bus that Ill probably have to keep it forever.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My first car was a 1974 superbeetle. Awesome car! That thing would run through anything. It ran on 3 cylinders for quite some time until my father informed me and fixed it. And during a huge winter storm when nobody else could get their cars started it turned right over. Still get warm fuzzies thinking about that car. In that respect I guess the E is very similar--gives you that warm fuzzy feeling! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bart Thomas said:
Some of us (More than Honda intended) are old enough to remember the unique position that the original VW Beetle had in automotive history, specially in its early years (the '50s and '60s).

It was relatively inexpensive, unconventional, totally different in appearance, very practical, and reliable. It could also be had in colors that were quite unlike anything you could get from Detroit. Those who loved it were somewhat crazy about it. It also became something of a generation thing.

While the jury is still out on reliability, most of us have put our trust in Honda's reputation for quality. Otherwise, all of the above seem to apply. As for the generation thing, that may be why the E is attracting so many older owners, who get the same feeling about the E that they had about their old VWs. (Are we trying to regain something of our youth?)

I'd be curious to know how many of the older owners have Beetles (or microbuses) in their past. :?:

I've owned a Beetle, 2 microbuses, Ghia.

Bart

SSM EX

Hey Bart,

Funny you say that, I swore I'd never own anything other than a VW. Though I was born in 78' I have always loved the VW family. When my NB got totaled last month, I started looking into another VW, but I was tried of the NB, seems like then I got it, it was rare to see them on the street they were so different...retro vibe...now you see them in every street corner. So, then I drove by the Honda dealership and saw the E's. Damn, it was just love at first sight...though being a VW girl, well I felt like a trader...meh driving a Honda, ha-ha.

Long story short, I went and got me the E, and I've been looking around these postings and seems like a lot of us are on the same wave-length. It's like driving a big toy truck, just like with the Beetle. Still inside I'm a V-dub girl...but still seems like a lot of VW owners are gravitating to the E.

The V-dub spirit still lives on...Peace, Love, and Happiness

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I It also became something of a generation thing.

You're right. I think when Honda came up with this car and designed it for the age group they say they did, they forgot all about the love affair the baby boomers had with the VW.

My first car was a 62 beetle purchased used in 64 (traded in on a new 65 mustang). Later I had a 69 pop top camper...My sons first car was a 74 Thing.

Probably would still have the pop top if my wife could have ever found reverse.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe it's the uniqueness of the vehicles that we chose the Element. I too am a former V-dub guy as I recently sold my 2000 VW Beetle....I also loved it because as a child that was one of the cars I loved to see, so I decided to purchase a New Beetle. After the purchase of the Beetle, I was immediately attracted to the Element at the first site of it. I even went so far as to test drive the E while still owning the Beetle. After several passes of the Honda dealership, I purchased my Element last August for my B-day and have loved the E ever since.

I truly believe all Element owners just really want to be unique in their life and that's why we all chose the E.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have love the E since it came out in 03, but as I seek to grow my collection (like Leno, only smaller) I would love to add an old beetle.

My brothers call my E Fillmore after the VW van from Cars. I like the nickname.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am a long timer in the VW world. I will have to say this is my first and last honda. I do like the E but I long for a Golf , Rabbit or GTI.

I have been a VW nut since I was 15 when I got my first buggy. Here is a list of cars I have owned.

1965 Fiberglass buggy
1970 vw bug
1966 vw bug on the 1970 pan 1776cc engine
1956 vw bug
1950 vw bug
1974 vw Baja bug 15 inch suspension
1966 vw lowered bug
1961 vw 21 window bus
1965 vw bus
1964 vw kombi
1962 vw truck
1965 vw truck
1966 vw crewcab
1964 vw sunroof bug
1974 vw bay window
1988 vw Vanagon till the engine blew about 80mph
1988 VW vanagon I-4 conversion DIY kit diesel (KIT)

This is where I got just stupid
2000 F150 Ext cab 2 whl drive
2002 F150 Crew cab 4 x 4 (when gas was still cheap)
2005 Honda Element

Though I like the element I am a VW guy through and through. I am in the process of getting rid of the E and finding a Golf or GTI. I have even thought about getting a Jetta or Passat wagon to replace the E. 2.5 liters of engine while it gives it the get up and go they could have done the same with a 2.0T with a 6 speed tranny or a 5 speed VT tranny. It is alot of hind sight in what honda could have done to make alot more of us to want to buy and keep the E.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Spuds said:
I bought a 1963 Beetle brand new, and also an 'unsafe at any speed' 1966 Corvair that we bought new that we drove until 1982. My son has a restored 1965 Beetle.
Are you Mr. Holland? Is your son named Cole? ha ha

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have always loved the E. I was still in highschool/early college when they first came out, but as soon as my wife and I had jobs, she went out and got one and we love it! We aren't old enough to have been fans of the old beetles (although she did like the new ones back in highschool) but I think that the E will be the beetle of its time.:-D

·
Registered
625 Posts
The element just has such a cool, different, funky style it stands out like a Beatle or a mini or a Jeep or a Hummer.

One of the cool aspects i love about the E.

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
my sweetie was "dokota clementine"
1961 VW camper
tiny rear window and bullet shaped blinkers.
I still smile about the one!
jurn

·
Registered
151 Posts
Previously I've owned a 62 bug, a 72 bus and a 66 bus. Currently I own a 1959 sunroof bug with 72K on the odometer.
I think the E is much more closely related to the VW bus. It's got that efficiency, ugly cute thing going on. I'm sure glad my E has more than the 36 horsepower of my 59 bug!

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
billyguitar said:
Previously I've owned a 62 bug, a 72 bus and a 66 bus. Currently I own a 1959 sunroof bug with 72K on the odometer.
I think the E is much more closely related to the VW bus. It's got that efficiency, ugly cute thing going on. I'm sure glad my E has more than the 36 horsepower of my 59 bug!

Hey, I hear ya on horsepower. I have hills around me and they were always fun......hehehehe
jurn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts