Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my E for a little over a week, and I'm still working on just getting some of the basics covered. I replaced the tires, got my hands on a key fob and got it working. Still waiting on some missing interior panels to arrive and waiting on my storage armrest as well. I'm also considering the dead pedal from Ursa Minor (does anyone else make one?)

But I've seen mention of other things here and there. Like the battery, and just now, in a thread about a salvage E being rebuilt (and of course, I can't find it now) someone mentioned a "home depot grill" to protect the ac compressor, and a light mod.

Is there a list anywhere of highly recommended mods? Not just things like "ooh, I like having a string of LED's to light up under the seats and pulse with the music" kind of mods, but actual useful mods, or things that maybe Honda could have done better? I know not everyone will agree on what is and isn't necessary. For example, I really think there should have been a dead pedal, but if I was in the majority on that one, I think there'd be more options out there.

I checked all the forum categories, but didn't see a sticky thread anywhere. Was hoping there might be something like that.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Having done the interior LED swap on every car ive ever owned in the past couple decades, Id say thats a must. Its cheap and simple yet the added light output and less battery draw make it a win win.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I've looked over the FAQ now. It's a little bit dated. It's kind of frustrating to click on a link and find that all the pictures are gone. All the links in the threads are dead. And then there's things that just aren't there. Like the Home Depot grill.

The other problem with all the links being so old is that so many of them were created years before my E came off the assembly line. So I don't even know if the issues that are being dealt with are relevant to me. I was hoping to find something a little more useful.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Ok, I've looked over the FAQ now. It's a little bit dated. It's kind of frustrating to click on a link and find that all the pictures are gone. All the links in the threads are dead. And then there's things that just aren't there. Like the Home Depot grill.

The other problem with all the links being so old is that so many of them were created years before my E came off the assembly line. So I don't even know if the issues that are being dealt with are relevant to me. I was hoping to find something a little more useful.
OK then. Skipping the faq, I think most everybody agrees that the Home Depot grill is a good solid #1 on the list. Most of the other things are for comfort.

·
Registered
893 Posts
1.- Home Depot Grille

2.- Side Turn signal / Markers

3.- Horn - Upgrade

4.- Replace Cabin air filters

from there on, It depends on what you like
I also did

5.- Both dome lights simultaneous

6.- Disabled seat belt chime

7.- HU Upgrade - TV/DVD player w/ rear view camera

8.- switched keys on ignition chime

8.- LED Dome lights

9.- Automatic Defrost Light program

10.- AC condenser Cooling Upgrade. (gotta love Texas)

11.- Towing Hitch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Great Photo Server Crash"

Sounds ... Tolkienesque.
The whole process seems to be a "Great Information Crash". With enough searching, you can find the threads to the mods everyone talks about. But the threads are old enough that most of the pictures in the original posts are gone, and the threads have grown to 40 some pages of posts consiting of everything from people who just post "sick" or "awesome" to people who have posted their own variations or modifications. It leaves you having to wade through miles of posts to try and put together enough information about the original that you can figure out what the variations are and how it all works. It's kinda sad that there's sooo much information that's so muddled and hard to get to.

I suppose my complaining about the problem without offering a resolution isn't much help. If I could do anything, I would. At the moment, I'm in a catch 22. I don't have the info to do the mod, so I can't do the mod yet. Which means I can't take pics and create a new, clean mod post. Oh well. I'll get there.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Mitchelwb, which mod are you referring to? The grill-guard mod requires only simple tools and supplies, and is pretty intuitive once you get the bumper off the car. And the threads on that subject are sprinkled with references (and links) to Honda's fog-light installation instructions, which clearly show how to remove the bumper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mitchelwb, which mod are you referring to? The grill-guard mod requires only simple tools and supplies, and is pretty intuitive once you get the bumper off the car. And the threads on that subject are sprinkled with references (and links) to Honda's fog-light installation instructions, which clearly show how to remove the bumper.
the HD grill is one of them. And I do apologize for sounding like such a whiny baby, I never intended to.

I have a short attention span for this kind of stuff is all. Between work, house, kids, and all my other hobbies, time for scouring through threads trying to piece together information from multiple sources, and the main source is only partial with all the missing pictures, I lose interest too quickly. I have no doubt I can handle the tools and hardware aspect of it. My primary hobby is pinball repair and I'm pretty handy with most any tool, manual or power, but I like to be prepared to get a job like this done quickly, without having to reinvent the wheel.

Go to HD, get the parts, come home, grab the right tools, the right set of instructions, and then do the job.

So again, not trying to be a cry baby. when I started this thread, I was just hoping for some solid instructions. And I believe it was you that pointed out a handful of links to other threads asking for something similar. Maybe it's time we put something like that together. I'll do what I can, but unfortunately, I'm new here and haven't had my E long enough to even know what all the "necessary" mods are yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like i want to do them all hahahahah.:grin:

1.- Home Depot Grille

2.- Side Turn signal / Markers

3.- Horn - Upgrade

4.- Replace Cabin air filters

from there on, It depends on what you like
I also did

5.- Both dome lights simultaneous

6.- Disabled seat belt chime

7.- HU Upgrade - TV/DVD player w/ rear view camera

8.- switched keys on ignition chime

8.- LED Dome lights

9.- Automatic Defrost Light program

10.- AC condenser Cooling Upgrade. (gotta love Texas)

11.- Towing Hitch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts