Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...5189&pageNumber=0&aff=automotv&psrch=automotv

Havent seen it in person yet just been talking to the guy. Ive been looking for a Element but cant spend a whole lot of money. I cant go over about 12-13 thousand and need a automatic. The guy says I have first dibs on it but I have to decide quickly.

So I came along this one. Its a color i want but im worried about getting such a old car. Also as you see they put new rims, tires and springs on it. The guy said this drops it down 1". I am not going off road with this but I do want to make sure that enough clearance for everyday driving and country roads.

So what do you guys think? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Old car? It's only six years old!

This looks like a pretty good deal, the gray panels look cool with the black body and the wheels speak to me.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea I suppose its not literally that old and doesnt have much miles. However it is the first year of the Element which kinda worries me.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it being a "first year". By now any teething issues would likely have been taken care of during the warranty period. If your still concerned, ask if you can take it to an independent mechanic for a once-over. Worth the hour's labor charge for piece of mind, and can provide some price leverage "my guy says it needs new struts, which will cost..... knock that off the price." Frankly, with that low mileage, its a great buy, and an inch is not going to make any difference with your road clearence - the suspension kit and rims shows the previous owner was a car nut, so very likely babied the vehicle. That's rare and the kind to buy!!!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
My '03 is a beauty with 116k miles on her, see is still a young thing

The one you are looking @ is a nice one

·
Registered
39 Posts
She's not old! I have a 2000 Nissan Altima with 150000 miles on it and she looks brand new and I hope has many years to go. Let us know what you decided. I think that car great. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
She's not old! I have a 2000 Nissan Altima with 150000 miles on it and she looks brand new and I hope has many years to go. Let us know what you decided. I think that car great. Good luck!
Hah! That's nothing: My son bought a "new" school car to take to college for his junior year - a 1989 Volvo 244 w/315,000 miles. It runs like a fine watch.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well waited to long and somebody snatched it up. Looking at another one now thats a little more local to me.

Its a '03 EX AWD with about 80,000 miles on it. Guy says the lowest he will go is $9000.

Whats the average life of these cars? Is it common to go well over 100,000 miles?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
From what we have seen so far, 200,000 is not unrealistic. In fact there are several that have that on them. I know of at least 2 Elements with over 350,000 on them. They are being used as delivery trucks for a Pizza shop. That indicates that they have several drivers each day. Keep in mind that they are 03's so there have been several sets of school kids driving them over the years.

I hope that helps.

Dom

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was a Great Deal....

..at least I think so, I picked it up last Thursday.
Kind of cool finding it referred to on the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just bought a 'new' '03

I picked it up for $6500, which I thought was a decent price, even considering the 148,000 miles on it(!) It runs impeccably and clearly has been taken care up by the one owner who had it previously. I did a bit of maintenance like a transmission service, valve adjustment, and some other little things when I got it. But after looking for vehicles for a while and having a few checked out by my mechanic, I found that this one seemed to be in better shape and less pricey than some subaru outbacks with half as many miles on them. I didn't expect to consider anything with this kind of mileage but TRULY it runs like new and looks almost flawless. And the previous owners almost never had it in the shop. Only for routine things like tires, battery, spark plugs, oil changes, etc. I expect at least another 100,000 miles.

so... so far, i am very happy. and i would half to say that mileage on a nicely driven honda is not the same as other makes. I wouldn't have ever considered a ford or chevy with that kind of mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts