Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
We have decided to trade in our Isuzu Rodeo for an Element AWD EX in GG. I emailed two local dealers for quotes. I indicated I prefer email as communication method, one of them called me twice anyway and left messages but no quote, so I have not returned call. So far they haven't emailed me. The other respected my wishes and emailed me the following (in part):
Including the optional side steps and roof rack the selling price would be $20,888 plus tax and plates
Is this a good price or could I do better? We're not very good at playing hardball. Located in Pittsburgh, seems all the local dealers have at least 3 Elements on their lots. They don't seem to be all that popular around here, haven't seen too many on the roads yet.
Thanks in advance for any advice/negotiating tips.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Andrea:

When I started talking to dealers, I went to a dealership on the fringe of my search area, and walked the lot to check out the elements and civics (I hadn't decided yet). I avoided the salespeople and actually went for a joint test drive with another customer (no salesperson).

Once I left there, I sent an email request for price quote to three or four dealers in the area, and only ONE responded with a number (the others were your experience). That dealer offered a good price, and the first time I saw the salesperson (fleet sales) we did the paperwork. Bing bam boom!

If the salesperson doesn't respect your communication preferences, how else will they treat you later after you've bought your car there? Hmmmmmmmm.

Your price seems OK but then what about the other goodies that you may want to add later? One dealer tried that "free tires for life" bit on me (gong).... Read the posts in the sales threads and you'll get the gist of things, no hardball required, just a complete understanding of all the variables. Those who play straight you won't have any problem coming to a decision to give them the deal.

Capn

·
Registered
4 Posts
The MSRP in the Pittsburgh area for a 4WD auto is $21,310. I got mine for $19,950 with keyless entry installed. They also offered other options at delaer cost but I haven't added anything yet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Stacey,
Thanks for the info! May I ask what dealership gave you that price?
Thanks in advance,
Andrea

·
Registered
7 Posts
from my experience dealers usually are willing to bargain with cars they have in there inventory. A good way to haggle is say that your looking for a specific color (one that they don't have) they may lower the price to get your your business.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought an orange EX with a stick a month ago for 17,698 plus 325 for keyless enty and 285 for a dealer extra profit charge. Out the door including tax was 19,600.

Today, I am buying a second element for me. (first one was for my wife) I am getting a Green EX auto 2 wheel drive for 18,988 plus 225 for keyless from a different dealer. Cost out the door includeing tax is $20,627. I actually think this is a better deal than the first becuase sticks are hard for dealers to sell in Dallas.

Stay tuned for photos of my two elements. (And what a surprise for my wife and kids as they think I am buying a camry.)

Doug Fejer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Andrea,
I went to Washington Auto Mall in Wahington, PA. The number is (724)222-2213. My salesman was West Jones. He was great....did all of the bargaining over the phone. All I had to do was go in and sign the papers. I did wait until the last day of the July to buy. Give him a call.

Good Luck and Keep me posted!

Stacey

·
Registered
12 Posts
any update about your purchase?

i'm in pittsburgh as well and wondering if you found the right deal/dealer yet?

i've only been looking so far and have been to Baierl in wexford...
yet i haven't talked #'s yet....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the info and tips. We decided to put our purchase of an Element on the back burner (pun intended, sorry) due to the fact that we owe more on our current vehicle than it is worth. We've only had it a little over two years but we've managed to put 38,000 miles on it, and it didn't hold its value well at all. According to all the websites (KBB, NADA and Edmunds), a dealer will likely give us about 10,500 and we owe 4000 more than that. I can't believe how much it depreciated in two years! So alas, we are biting the bullet. Despite really wanting to buy an Element NOW, we are going to wait till we get our current loan paid down a little more.
Thanks again for all your help!
Andrea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts