Honda Element Owners Club banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
945 Posts
Don't fix what ain't broken.
My mechanic, who is very knowledgeable and honest, (and he owns an Element) keeps telling me the same thing.

But the vast majority of what I have read one this site disagrees. And there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here too.

Valve adjustments should be done at about the 100K miles interval.

Besides, a valve adjustment can be done by most better than average DIYers out there, and it's cheap insurance against the alternative; which is burnt exhaust valves. And you don't want that!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi,
Well, the good news with the Honda K24 is it is a advanced world class engine made by people known for excellent engines...

The service manual says it needs a valve adjust at 110,000 miles.

Why would you take a chance of damaging you're engine by not following the service schedule of the Makers???

Just sayin!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Another thing to consider is that several of us on the forum have discovered badly scored, or worn, cam lobes when we've taken our Element in for a valve adjustment so there's that to consider also. Get them valves adjusted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well.... if that's not enough let me add another story:
I was skeptical of all this rhetoric about valve adjustment even though I was suffering the classic "Stalls when Cold" symptoms (not 'cold outside' but engine cold).
Changed the spark plugs and the coil packs and still cold stalling. Read & read & read... finally took it in and had the oil changed and valves adjusted.
Needless to say, the cold stalls went away and the fuel mileage went up 2mpg.
I was driving a minimum of 500 highway miles / week at the time and had been for two years.I track my mileage by recording the tank fill volume from the pump and my odometer mileage. I figure that the numerous data points I have from doing it at all outweighs the error in the methodology. The 2mpg improvement showed up immediately and stayed consistent for months afterward, now I don't drive but a couple hundred miles a month and all around town, so my overall mileage is down some.

Needless to say, I think that the benefit is so great that I plan on having it done every 50,000 miles now.
Bottom line... GET YOUR VALVES ADJUSTED. :)

81 - 86 of 86 Posts