Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently searching for All weather mats that’ll fit my 04. OEM only thanks!

·
Registered
(former owner of a) 2006 Honda Element EX 4WD A/T
58 Posts
The OEM ones are almost impossible to come by. I never pulled the trigger, but I found this listing on eBay that I have been considering for a while:

·
Registered
965 Posts
The OEM ones are almost impossible to come by. I never pulled the trigger, but I found this listing on eBay that I have been considering for a while:

Just to let you know I bought these exact mats from ebay. The mats are a very exact size and fit which sounds great but the material is very thin and does not have a lot of weight to them.

In the front it is okay as the fit is so tight between the left and right front mats that they dont move around much at all, although the drivers side does slide forward a couple of inches. I cut out the hole in the mat that is meant for hooking it to a metal anchor which unfortunately are not included in this set. Only the OEM mats came with the hooks, which I understand get rusted very fast anyways. I saw a few New old stock ones for sale online before but at outrageous prices.

You can either make your own hooks or just use a plastic tie like I did and it doesnt slide forward but its just annoying when you want to take the mat out for cleaning and have to cut the plastic tie and put a new one on afterwards.

The rear mat is a little more of a problem, its thin material and lightweight cause it to shift around very easily and although all the mats have a nice one inch raised lip around the edges to trap dirt, the lip can actually be a problem if you are loading boxes or other large heavy times into the floor of the back seat as they will push the mat out of place. The OEM rear mat is better if you are loading items in the back seat floor as it has no lip and is a much heavier weight and doesnt slide around as much. Perhaps some plastic ties could also be used in the rear to hold the mat in place.

The one inch lip on the front mats doesnt always keep the dirt in the mat either but does hold most slush/snow rain water from shoes and boots but dirt and sand still get under the drivers mat

The biggest single problem and this is a real safety hazard and I am astonished that anyone would sell a set of mats with this issue, is that the mats seem to have a very slippery greasy release agent on them to get them out of the mould after manufacturing.

This greasy coating is not washing off the mats after repeated washings with dish soap, degreasers, baking soda, vinegar, etc even after multiple washings. Getting into and out of the back seat with this slippery coating and lightweight unhooked mats is very dangerous. Even getting in and out of the front seats is a hazard and this coating gets onto your shoes too.

So far the only solution was not to wash the front mats at all and leave the grit from dirt and sand on the front mat to help give it some grip, much like putting sand down on a slippery road for grip.

I stopped using the rear mat altogether because of this slipperiness and not wanting to cause a hazard to unsuspecting passengers.

If you dont carry rear seat passengers maybe just buy the front two mats?

If you get lucky you may find a set of OEM mats or at least an OEM mat for the rear.

The seller I bought mine from said that they would eventually wash clean or be less greasy with use but in eight months of having these mats I have found that only leaving the dirt and grit on the mat makes them less slippery, the greasy coating seems impregnated into the rubber of the mats. They did offer a refund though

·
Registered
(former owner of a) 2006 Honda Element EX 4WD A/T
58 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Wannahonda. Glad I didn't purchase those then!

I was also looking at a set on fitmycar.com - someone on this thread pulled the trigger and was impressed: Complete Carpet Set

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Wannahonda. Glad I didn't purchase those then!

I was also looking at a set on fitmycar.com - someone on this thread pulled the trigger and was impressed: Complete Carpet Set
youre welcome, this is such a great forum. And thank you for the tip on the carpeted mats, I may invest in some to improve the acoustics of my E after I get a better stereo

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just to let you know I bought these exact mats from ebay. The mats are a very exact size and fit which sounds great but the material is very thin and does not have a lot of weight to them.

In the front it is okay as the fit is so tight between the left and right front mats that they dont move around much at all, although the drivers side does slide forward a couple of inches. I cut out the hole in the mat that is meant for hooking it to a metal anchor which unfortunately are not included in this set. Only the OEM mats came with the hooks, which I understand get rusted very fast anyways. I saw a few New old stock ones for sale online before but at outrageous prices.

You can either make your own hooks or just use a plastic tie like I did and it doesnt slide forward but its just annoying when you want to take the mat out for cleaning and have to cut the plastic tie and put a new one on afterwards.

The rear mat is a little more of a problem, its thin material and lightweight cause it to shift around very easily and although all the mats have a nice one inch raised lip around the edges to trap dirt, the lip can actually be a problem if you are loading boxes or other large heavy times into the floor of the back seat as they will push the mat out of place. The OEM rear mat is better if you are loading items in the back seat floor as it has no lip and is a much heavier weight and doesnt slide around as much. Perhaps some plastic ties could also be used in the rear to hold the mat in place.

The one inch lip on the front mats doesnt always keep the dirt in the mat either but does hold most slush/snow rain water from shoes and boots but dirt and sand still get under the drivers mat

The biggest single problem and this is a real safety hazard and I am astonished that anyone would sell a set of mats with this issue, is that the mats seem to have a very slippery greasy release agent on them to get them out of the mould after manufacturing.

This greasy coating is not washing off the mats after repeated washings with dish soap, degreasers, baking soda, vinegar, etc even after multiple washings. Getting into and out of the back seat with this slippery coating and lightweight unhooked mats is very dangerous. Even getting in and out of the front seats is a hazard and this coating gets onto your shoes too.

So far the only solution was not to wash the front mats at all and leave the grit from dirt and sand on the front mat to help give it some grip, much like putting sand down on a slippery road for grip.

I stopped using the rear mat altogether because of this slipperiness and not wanting to cause a hazard to unsuspecting passengers.

If you dont carry rear seat passengers maybe just buy the front two mats?

If you get lucky you may find a set of OEM mats or at least an OEM mat for the rear.

The seller I bought mine from said that they would eventually wash clean or be less greasy with use but in eight months of having these mats I have found that only leaving the dirt and grit on the mat makes them less slippery, the greasy coating seems impregnated into the rubber of the mats. They did offer a refund though
I lucked out buying my OEM floor mats off Amazon a few years back. My positioning hooks for the floor mats are not rusty at all. I really like the fit and look of the OEM mats that say Element on them. I would keep an eye out on Ebay for a used set or check local salvage yards.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
OP, not sure where you are located but I purchased the rear cargo tray from this seller a few weeks ago as she was relocating from CO to NM. I believe she said the carpets were lightly used.
I know for me after having rubber floor mats in my Element I could never switch to carpet. Last December I bought expensive OEM rubber high wall floor mats for my wife's Civic recently. With my OCD I would be constantly scrubbing her tan carpet otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts