Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent last week at home in Williamsburg to escape the 4 foot of snow we got here. I contacted via the internet Peninsula Honda about their 2010 Orange Honda Element.

As I was leaving for home last Thursday, I finally get a call from them. I informed the internet sales gentleman that I was leaving for home and was only interested in seeing the new 'Orange' Element and that we were not prepared to purchase yet.

I get a call yesterday around 1:30 interrupting my afternoon nap from the internet sales guy telling me that a woman was looking at 'MY Orange Element' and that he could hold it for me if I wanted to give him a security deposit. :roll:

Ummm, what part of 'NOT Interested in purchasing at the moment' did he fail to understand??? :?

·
Registered
244 Posts
little similar story

my dealer had my e on cars.com

when i asked for a test drive they had already sent it for auction

i made them brign it back

after they got it back they called me and told me that someone was looking at it

its an old sales trick

at that point you tell them no thanks if its still there when im ready then we will see

·
Registered
68 Posts
He was just doing his job and may have been required by his boss to make the call. There are many ways to look at this but the simplistic approach is that you contacted them showing interest in a vehicle. He would be remiss in his duties if he did not make an attempt to entice you further. Was there really someone looking at the Element, maybe, maybe not, we will never know. There is a saying in sales, "How can you tell when the salesperson is lying to you? His lips are moving". There is another saying, "How can you tell when the customer is lying? His lips are moving". I am not implying that either you nor the salesperson are/were lying just that it happens so often in sales that people on both sides get jaded and even minimal trust is difficult. How the Sales Floor operates varies from dealer to dealer some are more laid back others go full pressure. Add to this that the last year or so has been hard in the industry and he probably(most but not all do) makes his living on commissions and anyone that shows interest is a better chance than cold calling. He called you back which is more than some dealers internet sales people have done for me. I have shopped for used cars online a number of times and someplaces never bothered to return my emails or calls. Their loss as I can shop elsewhere. Living in Alaska it does not matter to me which of the lower 48 States I shop in. There will be freight no matter what or we fly down and drive home. You were right to be upfront with them and state that you are only looking and not ready to purchase but please remember they hear that a lot and many times those people end up making a purchase. Times have changed but not that long ago the statistic was that someone that went car shopping would mostly likely make a purchase with in the first 4 hours and the longer you stay on the lot the more likely they will make the sale. The shopper that drives away will go to the next dealer and likely buy from them. Buyers today are more savy but the salesperson can't take the chance.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AKRunner, I do understand what you are saying; I have spent a life time (it feels like) in a form of sales in one industry or another. However, I made it clear I was not to be the one to purchase as I am currently unemployed and my DH was out of town till mid the first week of March.

I had initially contacted me on Sunday, letting them now via email I was leaving the area that Thursday, they waited till I was leaving Thursday to contact me.

I was very clear in the fact that all I really wanted to do was catch a glimse of the new Orange that Honda was using on the Element. I was very truthful with this person and I wasn't happy about the phone call. Even if I were prepared to purchase, I won't have purchased form them simply because of that experience alone.

I've walked out on a sales person for more or less and have no problem telling sales people I don't like how they are treating me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts