Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. So. I just installed some skid plates that are made specifically for the element. One was under the engine area and the other replaced the OEM bar around the gas tank. After installing, my gas gauge has not been the same. I normally get 300 miles on a tank driving highways and 200 driving cities, but now with the skid plates, my gas gauge is close to half of a tank when I have only driven about 60 miles. I think last time I got gas I only drove over 150 total and the gas tank light came on with about 4 bars above the bottom bar on the gauge. Any ideas? What is the device that monitors the gas gauge? Is it inside the tank? If the skid plate is very tight up on the tank, would that affect that gauge and throw it off? I still need to do a few more trips and more highway driving to really get an idea. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
is it possible that you pushed the tank up so high that the fuel line is crooked and no longer is vertical in the tank?
what happens if you drive another 60 miles, or another 120 miles?
(spare gas can recommended or stay close to gas stations or friends.)

i edited the above to replace the word i used to describe something out of position. it is also used to describe a male chicken. and apparently is also not allowed in this forum.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be. I honestly really don't know how the fuel line and the gauge work together and where those mechanisms are located. Also, what was teh word you were using with the asterisk? did it start with a F? If so I hope the line is not busted.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think you just have a separate issue all together. I've had my skid plates on for a few weeks and I typically gas up every other day!! rofl

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I am pretty sure it's the skid plates. I did not have this issue before putting them on. It's been the only change to the car. when I step on gas and let go the car feels like it's pulling back slightly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it attaches to the outside of the gas tank. Going into the bolts that the OEM bar that goes around the tank went into. GOnna check for damaged lines tomorrow, and never really saw any of those get hit or knocked, but you never know

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, I had to add a few spacers and longer screws to allow a few centimeters of clearance from the gas tank to the skid plate. It was just tight enough that the skid plate pushed the gas tank up and affected the sensors for the fuel gauge. All is well now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know this is a year+ old post, but I'm curious about the skid plate idea. Are there any current conversations going on? Can anyone list some links for who sells them or where to find some? I'm thinking particularly about the gas tank and getting rid of the bar that bangs into twigs in the roadway! thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts