Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had hoped to do both front wheel bearings and fix my exhaust leak today. The DS wheel bearing literally kicked my ass at every step. 12 hours. Access to a lift, a press, an induction bolt breaker. Argh. The rotor was a PITA. I couldn't get the ball joint separated, so I removed the LCA as well (it needed replacement anyway). The first wheel bearing had play in it, so I tossed that I put in the second. Still have a howl, but at least the LCA and ball joint are new. Feel like a wasted a whole Saturday. All I got done was the drivers side wheel bearing (and the lower control arm and ball joint). At least I got the front wheel bearing done - but hat wasn't where the noise is coming from.

I had hoped to do both front wheel bearings and fix my exhaust leak. It didn't happen. Tomorrow will now be fixing the exhaust leak and figuring out which of the other 3 bearings is bad. Replacing some dash bulbs as I noticed a few are bad as I drove home after dark. If my DS door lock actuator arrives soon enough, I will do that too as programming my new remotes seems be futile until I fix the DS actuator.

Just venting. Still like the car and the price I bought it for. But I need to get it right. It will happen - just didn't happen today.

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the exhaust leak fixed today. Replaced the doughnut, although the one that came out seemed fine. New doughnut and new bolts and springs. I think the issue is simply the design - the springs don't have enough pressure to get a good seal. So I added a couple thick washers to take most of the compression out of the spring. The leak is gone, but at a certain harmonic, the exhaust rattles. So maybe I will have to use thinner washers. I need to see where the noise is coming from.

I'm thinking the howl may be the transfer unit. I'll get under there with a stethoscope. Doesn't seem too bad of a job to swap in a used unit.

And then I replaced the dash bulbs.

Baby steps. :)

·
Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
95 Posts
If you're replacing the door lock actuator, I did my driver's side about two months ago. I will say the hardest part was removing the little metal hook tabs and plastic "holders" on each. I had to take the entire door handle off to get the last one out. Don't rush it...it took me about 3 hours on something so small.
There are a bunch of videos out there but weirdly the video below was the most help.

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the video. I toyed with trying to get it done tonight, but it can wait. I bought a couple remotes and they aren't programming properly (won't unlock). I think it is because the actuator is bad so it can't cycle the locks during the programming. Either way, it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I will be tied up for about two weeks.

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank goodness for Youtube. That door actuator was anything but intuitive. I can't imagine somebody doing it without a FSM or Youtube. Even with the walkthrough it was about 3 hours. The remote still isn't unlocking the doors, but the door switch works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts