Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having made up our mind to get an Element over a CRV, we discover that the Element has no side air bags. After much research on the many Element owner sites, we discover that the side airbags will soon be available. Lo and behold, only in the US. My wife spoke to someone at Honda head office and was told that since the Element already has a five star safety rating the side airbags will not be introduced here in Canada. Am I understanding this correctly ? Is the safety of Canadians not as important as that of the Americans. I would happily pay more to have the side airbags but Honda says "sorry". We currently have one Honda product and are very impressed with it. We were on our way to becoming a faithful Honda family by adding the Element but this has put a major damper in my opinion of Honda as a safety concious company. I am so disgusted by this that I am now considering getting something completely different.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would strongly suggest that you read some of the posts in other forums discussing the value of and the need for the side airbags. I am not sure if the side air bags are an option in the US, or standard. If standard, I would expect them to be in the Elements we receive here. In any case, as at least one poster has stated, thery actually have little value.

Don't let this one thing stop you from getting the Element. Fall in love with the "E", don't resist it. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done a lot of research on the other forums and it is an option on the Element in the US. It even lists it on the Honda web site for the US as an option. The guy my wife spoke to was 99% sure that we would not get them here (he was apparently the Element expert). I had a major Automobile accident last October and suffered major injuries as a result of this. Safety is now of the utmost concern. Although some would disagree with the need for and effectiveness of side airbags, I am of the opinion that extra safety devices cannot be a bad thing. Also taking into consideration that the vast majority of high end/luxury vehicles have them (including my other Honda vehicle) they must be there for a reason. I have not lost faith in the safety or beauty of the Element, just in the approach to safety that Honda is taking for us Canadians. :(

·
Registered
894 Posts
Don't put too much faith in the gentleman you have spoken to. I have spoken to various people at Honda as well. There is varying information available to them. I would find out the product codes for the side air-bags and then ask a dealer if they can order an Element with that product code here in Canada.

Also remember that the Element is not a "high end" or "luxury" vehicle. To that end, if offered in Canada it will be an option not a standard feature.

Have faith that Honda Canada is not endangering anyone's safety. There may well be some Federal approvals to be made.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:058124cf64="superkal"]Am I understanding this correctly? Is the safety of Canadians not as important as that of the Americans?[/quote:058124cf64]

You are correct. :lol:

(just kidding)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts