Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a gouge near the wheel well. I honestly don't know if it was there before I bought the E, or if it happened in a parking lot shortly after I bought it, but it's there. :-(

Anyway, what can I do myself to fix it? I have no tools, so keep in mind I'd have to purchase everything necessary. I still think doing it myself would probably be cheaper.

Any ideas?

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Hello,

I have a gouge near the wheel well. I honestly don't know if it was there before I bought the E, or if it happened in a parking lot shortly after I bought it, but it's there. :-(

Anyway, what can I do myself to fix it? I have no tools, so keep in mind I'd have to purchase everything necessary. I still think doing it myself would probably be cheaper.

Any ideas?

Do you have a picture so when can see exactly where the problem area is?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
Hi,

What you've asked is like asking what skin products to use on a 17 year old white woman's face for the rest of her life. Even with photos, it would be hard to answer. The condition of the skin and the skill of the cosmetologist are both important.

That you have no tools and have to ask, suggests that you have no previous experience with auto finishes, so I'm guessing that you probably wouldn't be satisfied with the results from your own repair work. Heck, I've been touching up my own cars for years and I'm not always happy with my touch up work.

Send pictures. Maybe it's a simple blemish that you can cover up at home, maybe you'll need to go to an automotive dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I take it that the gouge is on the plastic panel which is raw "no paint" there isn't much you can do.

1st suggestion is to change the panel, 2nd take it to a body shop and see if they can't fill it with some fancy material they may have. I'm not a body guy so its just a guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's on the paint part. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

It's about four inches long. Is a fix like that expensive for a body shop to do?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gouge on door?

Well, you've gotten my attention. Can't wait to see photo. I'm assuming if it is on the painted part of an EX, then it may be on the rear door? If it is, it will necessitate feathering and priming the scratch....spotting in the color...and clearcoating the entire door. If the scratch is closer to the front door, it may also necessitate blending the basecoat into the front door also....then clearcoating the two doors. I've had experience with Galaxy Gray. It is a beautiful color.....I actually had it as my first color choice over ASM. But, it can be a color matching challenge if you want the repair to be absolutely perfect.
If, on the other hand, you chose to "brush-touch" this scratch, it can be done....however, the high metallic color that it is, it doesn't touch up well.
Anyway, can't wait to see the photo. I'll try to help out and give the best advice I can. I've been painting cars since '67....that doesn't mean I'm the best...it simply means I have a lot of experience....and I'm getting old!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
It's on the paint part . . . about four inches long. Is a fix like that expensive for a body shop to do?
If you take photos, do it outside mid-day without flash, close up from several angles and straight-on from 3-4 feet away. But why guess? Get quotes from the dealer and some body shops.

·
Registered
247 Posts
no pic's??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts