Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I have read the other threads that were posted with "similar" problems, but doesn't seem to be my problem. So any help would be appreciated.
I have a 2003 E that I put a new starter and battery in about 6 months ago. However, here recently when I go to start the car, nothing happens. No clicking noise, no symptom of a weak battery, in fact all the dash lights come on. So I just wait a couple seconds and try again, sometimes once or twice more. There is no consistency to the problem, it will sometimes do this at the first crank of the day or if I just shut down to run into the store.
I took the car in last week for a tune up and they tested my starter while they had it. They said the starter was fine and that they couldn't duplicate the problem(of course not, why would the car act up at the mechanic shop).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rich Here

Hope I can help. I've had this problem before on two other vehicles-one of them a Honda Accord the other a Dodge van. Both times the fix was simply changing the battery CABLE leads. Don't ask me why this worked, I just know that it worked. Cheap fix:)

·
Registered
599 Posts
A few things to try:

• clean the battery terminals and install anti-corrosion pads on the terminals under the cables, you can find the pads at auto parts stores, they look like little felt washers and are treated with a chemical to prevent corrosion
  • check the under-hood fuse box to make sure there isn't any visible corrosion and clean any you find with a water/baking soda solution, after disconnecting the battery of course
  • consider replacing the ELD in the under-hood fuse box (Electronic Load Detector), i had a similar problem recently and replacing the battery and ELD fixed it. the ELD is very inexpensive ($20-$30 at the dealer) and easy to install, there's a number of threads on it, just search
  • have your alternator tested by a reputable shop to make sure it operates properly in both the normal output and high output mode, an underperforming or overperforming alternator can burn up or wear out things like your battery and electrical system
your problem is a little to generalized to diagnose but all these things are cheap or free and are likely to fix things or at the very least give you some more information to go on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One other thing to check.
Verify the shifter is pushed all the way into park.
As things get worn, the park safety switch can get wonky and won't close.
The next time, try just pushing up on the shifter or put it in neutral.
Just my $.02.

sPOTO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts