Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so since I put 15x8 -19 offset wheels on my E, the front wheels stick out about 2-2.5 in from the body of the car. In order for me to pass inspection in VA, I would need to make some sort of wide fender flares. I dont really want to buy a set of universal wide fender flares. I was thinking of making some to bolt to the existing points in the fenders, so i can take them off after the inspection, if they dont look very good..

But for the material, I was thinking about that black plastic that you would use for gardening. That stuff that goes in the ground to protect from weeds and such.. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can use?

thanks in advance,
David

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Y dont u just make some wide body fenders with molding clay or something and them make a mold of them, that would be cool.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Can't you put mudflaps on her and pass inspection? That works in NJ.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in Va. and own a 4Runner with tires that stick out about 3". When I went to get inspection I asked if it would pass inspection before it went in.The first place I went said would not pass so I went to another station an ask and they said it would pass. Been going to them every since,about 3 years.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bass player - i dont have the stock wheels and tires anymore

CK - I do have the front and rear mud flaps, but the tires stick out farther than that

insane - I can try to make a mold..ive just never done that before..

·
Registered
599 Posts
How about going to an off road store to test fit some fender flares and use some double sided tape. It might save some time and it might look pretty decent. Another option would be to remove the plastic tabs in the front fenders and the screws in the rear fender and push the plastic fender out, possibly wedging something between the plastic and metal. It might give you the extra width you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
There's gotta be someone in your area that can loan you their stock wheels for a day or two. If you can't get a hold of any stock rims/tires to do a temporary swap then I like NOSkweezePSI's idea of the fender flares. I've removed the clip/screws and the fenders are just flopping loose against the metal fender support. You can wedge somthing in there but you may not be able to push them out 2-2.5". That's kinda far, they're plastic not rubber. good luck.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my inspection expires in december, so i have a little while to figure something out.. I will go and ask my buddy at the local honda dealership to see if he can just pass me..who knows? it might work..

I cant really do anything now because its going to be raining for the next couple days..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you have any pics of how much the tires stick out?? i was thinkin of doing this exact same thing but was worried they would poke out just a bit too much.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

that is a pic of what it looks like now. I dont have a closer one.. The front sticks out about 2-2.5" and the back is about 1"

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Wow !!

Keep a close Eye on those wheel bearings !

Dom

·
Registered
122 Posts
NICE! so is it the offset that makes them stick out? it dosent appear that the rim is much wider than stock. i like them alot!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, i will keep an eye on the bearings.

yea the offset is -19. the rim itself is 15x8. I think the stock wheel size is 16x6.5. The tires that I have are 225/70/15, so they are stretched a little bit to fir the 8in wide rim. In the front i have spacers as well, to clear the caliper.

The fronts rub a little bit when i have the wheel turned all the way in either direction, but that doesnt bother me..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
outboard of the caliper? I will go take some more pics today and post them for you..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here are some pics that I just took a few minutes ago..
This one shows the spacer in the front. Look inbetween the rim and the hub. There is a silver spacer, which allows the rim to clear the caliper. Before the rim was hitting the caliper, which didnt allow me to go anywere :-x..

This pic shows how far out the fronts stick compared to the back. The fronts are about 1.5 treads out (2.5"), and the back is about 1 tread out (1")..

And heres another one just for fun..

let me know if you want any other shots

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have to ask, what is the point of passing an inspection on a car that isn't, I don't know the term, but, basically, wouldn't you get a ticket or something?

Eventually?

Also, what is the point of the wheels? Is it a look thing or do they provide a function?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Also, what is the point of the wheels? Is it a look thing or do they provide a function?
the wheels connect the tires to the hubs. that is their function.
experience has shown that round ones work best, but some folks have used curbs and such to experiment w/ other shapes. the actual shape, design, color and fitment is generally the owner's decision.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to ask, what is the point of passing an inspection on a car that isn't, I don't know the term, but, basically, wouldn't you get a ticket or something?

Eventually?

the point of passing inspection is that it is my only car. I am paying for it and i like to customize it and make it mine. I have been driving next to police and sheriffs for almost 3 weeks now, and no one has given me any trouble. I like the look of it, and this is just the beginning.

The wheels are there for the looks. There isnt really any other function besides what nacranym said. But like i said above, i am customizing it to my liking because I chose it, i am paying for it..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts