Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... the threads dealing with ultra-detailing the Element, rubbing out the paint with clay, hand-washing only, 3, 4 and 5-step handwaxing processes, handywipes and spray bottles to keep the interior flawless, lexol and vinyl treatment for plastic body panels, etc., etc., etc. :shock:

It seems a far cry from the imagery of a rugged, utilitarian, go-anwhere, rubber-floored, waterproof-seated, hose-it-out, indestructible plastic body-paneled, sandy-surfboard-hauling, utilitarian barn on wheels that is portrayed in the advertising.

One would think we were entering these vehicles alongside a 1923 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost and a 1938 Hispano-Suiza Dubonnet in the Concours D'Elegance competition rather than driving the muddy-dog-hauling grocerymobile that I had in mind! :lol:

But then look at the heritage of the can't-be-destroyed, go-anywhere, flat-camo-paint, canvas-top military Humvee which has become the $125,000 chrome-accented status symbol of the stars. :roll:

I'll confess to a bit of fussiness myself- but I'm trying hard to remember: "You bought the Element because it's an inexpensive, utilitarian, swab-it-out-and-go-mobile, breadbox-on-wheels!"

Thanks for letting me ramble. We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast,

Steve

·
Registered
894 Posts
:D Yep, can you see the "E" eventually becoming someone's well-loved and long-driven beater?

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
[quote:b3c10cb9f1="eleMentalCase"]... the threads dealing with ultra-detailing the Element, rubbing out the paint with clay, hand-washing only, 3, 4 and 5-step handwaxing processes, handywipes and spray bottles to keep the interior flawless, lexol and vinyl treatment for plastic body panels, etc., etc., etc. :shock: [/quote:b3c10cb9f1]

Hehe...that's true. It's a lot like my S-10 pickup when I got it new a LONG time ago. It was red and looked amazing when it was shined up. Took me a while, but I finally decided to throw things in the back and USE IT as a truck. But no matter how much truck it was, it was still my "baby" and deserved to be rubbed down, polished, etc. so it shined up and turned heads. I think the E is the same way.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's only natural to want to preserve the new look of a vehicle. Most people buy cars at the maximum they can budget for it, so the labor of love you see is merely protecting an investment second only to one's home.

With proper care the Element can look new indefinitely. Believe me, it's quite nice to have people asking me why I bought two new cars, not realizing one of them is over two years old with 62,000 miles.

The Element does lead a double life. In one case it has ultra-utility. In another it is very eye-catching. If you choose to operate your Element as an appliance, you may be denying it's attractive side. Still, it's obvious that most people treat their cars as appliances, one look out into a parking lot and you see all the grey and beige cars that go uncleaned. Then there's those couple of sparkling gems. Are they trying to show anyone up? Do they think their car ought to be in a row of Rolls? No, they just like having a clean car. I guarantee that those few clean cars are also the most deligently maintained.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, don't misunderstand. I think it's great when people genuinely enjoy the process of "babying" their car, their lawnmower or their golf clubs for that matter. More power to them!

I think my musings were, if anything, a reminder to ME about why *I* bought an Element. In years past I've owned Mercedes and a variety of other $40,000-$60,000 vehicles and maintaining them bordered on an obsession at times.

But at the moment, besides a big fancy pick-up I use for business, we own 2 Jeep Wranglers and the Element. (One of the Jeeps stays at our lake home).

For me- the appeal of all three of these vehicles is their utilitarian nature. I find myself washing and waxing them (which is good) but sometimes I find myself obsessing over them, worrying about every scratch or blemish. That's when I remind myself, "You bought these vehicles so that you WOULDN'T feel obligated to park halfway across the parking lot in no-man's-land and so that you wouldn't have to use your shirt-tail to wipe fingerprint smudges off the chrome doorhandles after closing the door! :lol:

I'm certainly not suggesting we abuse our Elements, nor am I making fun of those who obsess over them if it gives them joy. I'm just reminding myself, "It's just a car. It has plastic fenders and a rubber floor liner because it was created to be used hard, bumped by shopping carts, have the floor muddied and still keep on ticking."

Thanks for letting an old man talk to himself,

Steve

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think the Element is like having the best of both worlds:

I can drive through mud, spill a whole milkshake, and basically get the Element just as mucky and nasty as you can imagine.

Then I can clean her up so very easily and keep her shiny, sexy, and in show-off condition.

I kind of have a double-life about what I really take care of and keep immaculate in other aspects of my life. My books and CDs, papers and pens, and all that - perfect. My chest of drawers full of t-shirts? Not so much.

I didn't *love* my Trooper, so if it got a little crummy, I wouldn't rush to wash it. Plus, the spills made stains that stayed forever. Hate that.

Lucy is going to look good for a loooong time. Because she's Lucy. And she's mine. She makes me happy, and that should show!

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Element stirs emotions in everyone that sees it. I can tell by the expressions on people's faces and their comments when I show them the features of my E. Some people dislike it at first look but when they see the features, most of them come away with an appreciation of the vehicle. Well, this same emotional feeling applies to the owners and I for one have fallen absolutely in love with my E. I have never felt this way about a vehicle. I have said it on here before that I feel like it is a puppy that I just brought home and I can't play with it enough. I wash it every 3 days. I am constantly buying it toys (expensive ones at that). I make special trips to my garage just to look at it. I tell it goodnight every night. Maybe I have lost my mind but there is something different about the Element and I think I know what it is ------ it has a soul. Now, don't any of you get upset about that because I say it "tongue in cheek" but it does seem to be more of a living thing than any vehicle I have owned. The others were machines. This one speaks to me. With that feeling, how can I not baby it? Lets hear if others feel this way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steve,

I totally agree with you on this one but it still breaks my heart to see a 2 inch long scratch on the outside door panel.
I wouldn't really mine if i was the one who put the scratch there you know
kinda like a battle scar, but the thing is the scratch just popped up one day.
:O(

Blue EX with bungee cords

:O(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

Some people bought the truck to trick out and show.

Others bought it to re affirm their pragmatic stylish side.

For many it may be a mid-life crisis vehicle. A final, "I'm still hip" type thng.

Perhaps some bought it as a commuter/grocery vehicle parked next to a Lexus, BMW and a Mercedes at thier castle in the cliffs of Dover.

And Im sure there are a million other reasons why people buy them.

I say, enjoy the vehicle the way you see fit, clay it, wax it, or let mold grow on it, you own it! :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts