Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today some stupid woman hit my E!!!!!!! :evil: There is very minor damage but still. She pulled right out in front of me and I swerved but the rear driver's side couldn't get out of the way in time. Her car swiped the panels and I knew right away that she hit the plastic because of the sound. I thought, "GREAT" , I can only imagine what it looks like. But when I got out and looked, at first I didn't notice any damage. After looking the second time there are about three 6 inch scratches on the bumper, 1 on the side panel and one on the tire rim. Honestly, not too bad. After hearing some of the stories about how easily the panels get damaged, I was very nervous to look.
Being that I have never been in an accident before and neither had she, we didn't get a police report. Hopefully that won't pose a problem. And dealing with insurance companies can be a hassle, so at this point I'm just mad. Tomorrow I will get my first estimate and go from there.
Just wanted to vent to all of you who know how horrible it is for anything bad to happen to your E!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Obtaining a police report is one of the most important things that you should do when in an accident. It may be harder to prove fault without the police report. Now it is just your word against hers. Hopefully she is an honest person and all will work out well. Is she going to pay to get it fixed or file it with her insurance? I hope you at least got her true identity. I hate to be so paranoid, but in today's world you have to take every precaution that you can when it has to deal with a $20k vehicle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Berniesgirl,

Sorry about your E.

Always get a police report, the report will clearify who is more at fault. You may get into an accident with a less than honest person and by not have a police report, is your words against their words.

Hopes everythings work out!
:D
Take care,

·
Registered
957 Posts
For most minor accidents involving honest people - a police report is seldom necessary in mandatory insurance states because people's deductables generally will be higher than the repair amount.

In the past, I've walked away from a couple of really minor bumps and small scratches with apologies all around and a handshake because both parties knew the deductables would be more than the repair cost - and luckily nothing has come of it. :D

However, if you live in a non-mandatory insurance state where you don't know if the other driver even has insurance, you do not have insurance yourself, the other driver does not seem honest, or you just want to cover your @ss in general, a police report is always a good idea. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in NJ, so believe me I am completely covered. Her identity checks out, I already looked her up on the internet and I have her insurance company and policy number. So hopefully this can be worked out without the insurance companies. She seemed nice enough at the scene, admitting that she pulled out. Let's just hope, she can still get her story straight when it comes time to pay up.
Next time (there better not be one), I now know to get a police report!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just my two cents here but...I had a similar accident in another car. It was a low speed hit on my rear (I mean my car) by a lady who thought I was going to run a stop sign like she was planning to. She was all nice and apologetic at the time and wanted to know if we could work it out without the insurance company. I didn't think it looked that bad and was in a hurry so I got her name and insurance info and left. Well she turned out to be a real jerk. When I called her she acted like I was putting her out. I promptly called her insurance company and put a claim in. Then she had the nerve to call me at home and tell me what a horrible person I was. Here's the lesson I learned...perhaps you don't always need to call the police (in my city they won't come anyways unless there is an injury), but you should always let the insurance co. handle it (hey, that's why we pay for insurance in the first place). Here's something I learned as well. It's hard to tell how much somethings going to cost to repair. My little rear ender cost about $900 to fix. Also, unless they are nice enough to pay for a rental while your car is worked on, then you're forced to find alternate transportation yourself. In the future, if something like this happens again, I will call their insurance co. while I'm at the scene and get it all on record before I leave.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my first estimate today for $974. So tomorrow I'm going to give this woman a call and see what she says. I just don't want my insurance to go up since this was in no way my fault. That's why I want to see first off is she will just pay for it. As for the rental car, if I get this done soon, I still own the car that was being replaced by my E. I haven't sold it yet.
I'll keep updating as things happen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, the DC-area troopers won't come to a scene unless there's injury, or the vehicles are disabled. When I called to report my accident, the trooper didn't even want to file a report. I insisted, and he reluctantly took the information and gave me an incident number. I've been burned before, and didn't care what 'he' wanted - this was 'my' truck that was damaged.

Anyway, the damage didn't look that bad initially - front and rear bumpers both badly bent, but no leaks, the alignment was perfect, nothing rubbed. (I was hit by another truck while sitting still on I-495, and was pushed into a van in front of me.) Turns out there was almost $9K in damages! Luckily for me, the guy who hit me was quite honest, and had already called and admitted fault to his insurance co before I could call them and start my claim. Was a pleasant experience, considering the situation.

As mentioned above, it could get into a 'he said, she said' battle but chances are it'll be smooth. Make sure you file with HER insurance company, not your own. You should notify yours, let them know what happened and that you're taking it up with her insurance.

Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Carman63,

I got one word that described that "LAZINESS", it is your basic rights to have the authority to assist you in any major or minor emergency.

·
Registered
79 Posts
[quote:ac7760db86="Berniesgirl"]I got my first estimate today for $974. So tomorrow I'm going to give this woman a call and see what she says. I just don't want my insurance to go up since this was in no way my fault. That's why I want to see first off is she will just pay for it. As for the rental car, if I get this done soon, I still own the car that was being replaced by my E. I haven't sold it yet.
I'll keep updating as things happen.[/quote:ac7760db86]

If it is not your fault it will not count against you. At least that is how it is with my insurance here in GA. If your insurance company pays out nothing, then how can they raise your rates? There are strict laws governing insurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts