Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello E family.

I have been chasing down a thud in the front of my E.

I have replaced
tie rod ends and balljoints with duralast brand
Inner tie rods and control arm bushings with Moog (non problem solver)
Complete strut assemblys
Sway bar bushings OEM
Sway bar end links(Duralast)

What could still be making this thud that sounds like its coming from the steering rack area ? Please any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Double check the right front upper mount. That one when, collapsed/worn out will THUD as the car bounces over bumps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, It got worse after replacing inner tie rods. It seems to knock after coming to a stop and then taking off, and random bumps in the road. Im curious is the steering rack can develop play. Im going to check for loose bolts as well try and determine if the motor mounts are shot. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the exact same problem with mine. I replaced a lot of parts, but then I found out it was the front engine mount. Replaced it, and now my E drives like a new car!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willbilly11

Double check the right front upper mount. That one when, collapsed/worn out will THUD as the car bounces over bumps.
Are you referencing the one that is next to the power steering rez? How do I visually check to see if they are bad? None of them have any signs of wear

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Are you referencing the one that is next to the power steering rez? How do I visually check to see if they are bad? None of them have any signs of wear
Under the bracket that is bolted between the engine and mount, there should be a small air gap. As the mount collapses, the bracket rubs through the rubber. Mine was rubbing after only a few years, and making a squeak noise over bumps. If left to rub, you will have metal to metal contact.
I added a spacer to raise the bracket. It has been quiet since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Under the bracket that is bolted between the engine and mount, there should be a small air gap. As the mount collapses, the bracket rubs through the rubber. Mine was rubbing after only a few years, and making a squeak noise over bumps. If left to rub, you will have metal to metal contact.
I added a spacer to raise the bracket. It has been quiet since.
It appears the air gap is there. The sound , sounds like it is coming from the middle at the inner tie rods. The sound did get immediately worse after putting them on. The transmission mount has some cracking but I cant say its where all the noise is coming from

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Willbilly11
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing