Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the following is a dream of mine and i'm not sure if its already been done.

i want to mod my E to have a soft top just like a Jeep Wrangler. Something that can be either folded down into the back or completely taken off.

i would also like to mount a full size spare on the back for easy access.

i know it would cost less and be a hell of a lot easier to just but a jeep, but where is the fun in that? plus it just wouldn't be my Daisy.

i've attached a crude Photoshop rendition of my idea.

has anyone else done anything similar? any ideas on how to make it happen or at least make it easier?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the most challenging part would be keeping the structural integrity of the body but that looks like it would be a fun mod.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Interesting... theres a camper top on here - Ursa major on the first 'page' - I thought there was 'convertible E' someplace but it too may have been only a computerized image....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting idea. If I were in a warmer climate I always wondered if you could remove all the glass and have plastic curtains made. It wouldn't change the structure of the E, and would be pretty wide open with the rear sunroof.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the most challenging part would be keeping the structural integrity of the body but that looks like it would be a fun mod.
i was just thinking a roll cage. that should keep it rigid and also give places for the top to attach.

and i did see a rag top convertible and i'm not sure if it was computer generated or not. the one i saw was just on the roof itself, i want the whole back to fold down. that would probably mean a different tailgate with it too.

i just have to find a good shop in my area that i can get a quote from. this is definitely something out of my hands.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
12,179 Posts
Well thats one way of getting a sunroof on a 2010:roll:

And Lizzurd...............you have stinky wizzleteats? thats just nasty and you should have that looked at:twisted:
Not a Ren & Stimpy fan i see jojo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGsxwQpa_g

Aside from the structural issues mentioned above you also have the issue of engineering a soft top that wont leak or flyoff as well as trying to hang a spare tire off the sheet metal that wasn't designed for it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Interesting idea. If I were in a warmer climate I always wondered if you could remove all the glass and have plastic curtains made. It wouldn't change the structure of the E, and would be pretty wide open with the rear sunroof.
The window glass actually is part of the structure, a very important part. With the glass intact a vehicle can support much more than it's own weight on the roof in the event of a rollover. With the glass removed the roof would cave in like a dented soda can. Plus the Element's structure is already compromised by incorporating the "B" pillars into the rear doors. The E makes up for this with reinforced rocker sections and a domed roof line making it rather egg like and quite sturdy, as long as all the parts are intact and working together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts