Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was disgusted by the nasty tone in his article. I expect better from this guy. As well as that there were factual errors about the load etc.

I got the impression that the article was hastily written and/or he was having a bad day.

Boo Hiss I say.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
Both this review and one other I've seen read as though the reviewer decided they didn't like the Element and started from there. And never actually did research on the car. Both of the reviews had incorrect spec information and and only obligingly mentioned any positive attributes of the E. And both read as though they were 90% written before they actually drove the car.

For this particular review, what bright orange and bright green? Galapaos Green is almost olive, when did that become bright? I bought it since it was not bright green. And while SOP sounded like it sould be bright, in person it's a deep tomato red/orange that I wouldn't consider all that bright either. He makes it sound like ther're dayglo orange and neon green.

·
Registered
504 Posts
He outed himself when he said the aux input is for putting "ones and zeroes" into the stereo. Though it is called a Digital input, it is strictly analog.

He definitely had decided the vehicle was flawed before he started.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This guy should have a Buick century :roll:
No emotion into his text, he should be transfert to weather news :wink:

·
Registered
504 Posts
It seems to me that many of these reviewers cannot separate the different classes of vehicles. It seems they are reviewing a Lexus Sedan one day, a Volvo stationwagon the next day and a Ferrari the third. A lot of them can't step back and not let the luxury vehicles influence their review of a utility vehicle.

Those who review a vehicle by grading how well or poorly a vehicle fits it's unique niche seem more fair and more useful to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey folks, this guy has driven many vehicles in his life time. To him it is just another vehicle. I found most of his points to be based on fact and not emotion. ( the plastic panels do scratch fairly easily don't they?) I too believe that the fwd system is a waste of time on this particular vehicle and therefore I chose not to get it on my "E". The fact that the front door needs to be opened to access the rear doors is a pain in the butt and something that I also noticed before buying. I understand that the inconvenience exists because without it there would not be a huge access point into either side of the vehicle. (this I like very much and so I am willing to give on the rear door issue.) I am frankly surprised that he did not make mention of the huge blind spot created by the "A" pillar. I found this to be one of the most negative aspects of the vehicle when I test drove it. The fact that he found the seats uncomfortable does not surprise me either. Although I prefer a more rigid seat, the vast majority of motorists tend to prefer the soft cushy type of seating. (I say stick with a domestic if that is the case).

At the end of the day, I could not be any happier with my decision to purchase an Element. I have owned many vehicles over the years from Mustangs to minivans to full sized GM trucks. Each one of them had good points and bad points, but the one universal constant was the two Honda vehicles that I have owned. There is a quality that they posses that is difficult to describe to some people. To those of you who have owned them, you know exactly what I am talking about. It is for this reason that I am willing to over-look a few minor imperfections in the "E" and enjoy it for what makes it the unique vehicle that it is.

It's just a vehicle folks! Don't take his review personaly! I have read about a dozen different reviews on this vehicle since December and this is the only one that had a different slant to it.

Suck it up and go out and enjoy driving your E! I hope to do the same as soon as I get it.

:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've probably read three dozen and this may have been the most negative of all of them. He has his opinion and we have just as valid different opinions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
jim Kenzie is an ass. He is so biased towards general motors(caps left off on purpose) that it is just not cutting it here. For the record Mr Kenzie was the guy who was used in all the Young Drivers videos for car care, fuel economy, and so on. All he could preach was "this Cavalier, That S*#$tbird This Grand Am blah blah blah............" I think his article sums it up quite cleverly. Jim you're a jerk. This car was not built for narrow minded fuddy duds like yourself. Go home and drive your 1982 Amc Gremlin and get back to us. :? :lol:

For the record I have found the "E" to be very smooth, very quick(quicker as time goes on),good on gas,comfortable,a good handler, and overall EXCELLENT VALUE!

1981 Pontiac Phoenix
1978 Delta 88
1987 Suzuki Samarai
1984 Suzuki sj410
1993 Ford Ranger XL
1994 Mazda 323
1995 Mazda MX3 Precidia
1996 Civic CX hatch
1996 Civic DX coupe
2001 Ford Ranger XL (current daily work)
2000 Acura 1.6 EL (current)
2003 Honda Element Y SOP (current)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a further thought to share you guys. Jim Kenzie says loosely quoted "that when I turned up the sound system, my ears hurt. It aint no Bose....." I live with another couple-they have a 2002 Acura RSX type S with the Bose system. My buddy has confided in me that he is very saddened by the fact that the stereo system in his car(bose subwoofer standard) sounds no where near as nice as the stereo in my "E".
I have no quams with Bose. My house is littered with Bose Home Ent. equiptment and I think its fantastic. I just don't appreciate the whining that seems to be attached to every aspect of Jim's scathing :x review

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think he said when he cranked the sound, his ears hurt. That just does not make sense to me. The louder the sound, the more your ears will hurt. So a Bose system producing loud sounds does not hurt the ears? How many rock musicians have any hearing left?

·
Registered
504 Posts
The sound system thing is a perfect example of comparing apples with oranges. Why should a utilitarian Honda come with a better or equal system to an Acura? How can any reviewer reasonably expect it to be so?

I will tell you this - it sounds much better than the factory sound in my previous more expensive PT Cruiser to which I had added a $500 factory subwoofer.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:19219b2b53="isketerol"]I think he said when he cranked the sound, his ears hurt. That just does not make sense to me. The louder the sound, the more your ears will hurt. So a Bose system producing loud sounds does not hurt the ears? How many rock musicians have any hearing left?[/quote:19219b2b53]
Being an audio guy this was the point that really stuck out at me. In the audio world, when someone holds Bose in high regard or as "the reference" in great sound, it is quickly obvious to most that they are not really an expert but a mindless follower, easily swayed by marketing and branding, and that they haven't truly done thier homework or at least listened to enough systems to know any better.

My point is, it is very telling about Jim that he holds Bose in such high regard. I suspect he is a moron. Whether this moronic attitude also applies to his ability to subjectively rate cars is beyond my scope of knowledge but I have a hunch that I would'nt be too far off if I said so.

Take this guy with a grain of salt. :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kenzie is an idiot. If the Element is such a piece of crap why does he give it a 7 out of 10?

Here's one of his more petty beefs: "Nor is the fuel cap tethered". Yup, no fuel cap tether is a huge problem. BTW, I had it on my Odyssey and hated it - the fuel cap just got in the way. He is just a whiner.

If you read his "columns" at http://www.motoringtv.com/kenzie/index.html you can see what a fool he is. They are poorly researched and are thinly disguised shills for his favourite car manufacturers. He's too busy trying to win "Automotive Journalist of the Year" awards to do a good job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts