Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Element was selected by JL Audio (www.jlaudio.com) to make the molds for their stealthbox sub-woofer system. We looked at the spare tire well (not enough room), the center console (one option) and the present sub-woofer area (another option). The latter seemed reasonable. Will post more information when I see the first test results tomorrow. 8)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds Good. Too late for me. But it'll help alot of other people. I had a box made for the console. Can't woth to see pics of it. See what the "PROS" came up with.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Please post any info as it becomes available. I made my own custom semi-recessed cabinet where the EX subwoofer goes for my DX. I utilized an 8" Kicker solo-baric sub hooked up to a 600w x 1 amp. What size will the sub speaker be? Dual voice coil? If it's done right, I'll definately buy it. I think JL could do a more professional job then my first attempt ever at custom cabinet building.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can't wait for more info on this, I'm pretty much waiting on this so I can get a sub in my DX. It would be cool if they had an amplifier option available as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
[quote:0752bbf02f="chetster"]I received pics of the first mold taken. Can anyone tell me how to post photos?[/quote:0752bbf02f]

You'll need to host them on the internet first, then link to pic here.

If you'd like I can host the pics for you, I have a little web space left from my ISP. Email me at [email protected] with your pics and I'll post them here.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:4ad121576f="chetster"]I received pics of the first mold taken. Can anyone tell me how to post photos?[/quote:4ad121576f]

Hi Chet,

I don't know if you remember but I was the guy who hooked you up with JL Audio. I'd be glad to host the photos. Just e-mail them to me - you already have my address. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is EXACTLY what I have in mind for my E. 1 10 in the center console, put the amp in the spare tire well and go from there. Molds look good, I imagine the second one will be more formed to the shape and then they will make a plaster cast. Did they give you any estimated production date? I would love to be one of the first to pre-purchase this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have made MANY custom fiberglass enclosures already and I have NO idea what they are doing. How many of what size is going in there. I personally think a 10 would be way too bg for that spot. Js boxes are for near stock looks and a 10 would not look close to stock. I am currently making a fiberglass enclosure for mine that will hold 2 12's. I would have already finished it but Im making an enclsure for my Civic that will hold a Boston Acoustic 15". Ill get some pics when Im finished.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:f5d6a29ab8="Turtle"]I have made MANY custom fiberglass enclosures already and I have NO idea what they are doing. How many of what size is going in there. I personally think a 10 would be way too bg for that spot. Js boxes are for near stock looks and a 10 would not look close to stock. I am currently making a fiberglass enclosure for mine that will hold 2 12's. I would have already finished it but Im making an enclsure for my Civic that will hold a Boston Acoustic 15". Ill get some pics when Im finished.[/quote:f5d6a29ab8]

All I have to say is this - when have you ever known JL audio to do anything in a half-assed fashion? :?

IMHO a sub up front would be great and will provide a much better soundstage as compared with putting subs in the back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with you on the staging part. I will keep my sub in the front, but it will be an 8" in its own custom enclosure. The 2 in back are just for a low more uummmffff. I will be entering my E in many car shows, so this is a key part in it anyways.
I also agree with you on the JL quality of work. They build great stuff, its just that a 10 will not look right i the front.It would be too big and obvious, which is what the "Stealth" series boxes are designed NOT to be. An 8" would be perfect there. Anything smaller and your options are out the window. Hardly anyone make a REAL 6.5" sub style woofer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is just a guess based on the photos, but it looks like the sub will be mounted on the bottom and be downward firing. That may explain why the flat area of the mold is a couple of inches above the floor. This would make the most sense because largest part of the enclosure would be at the bottom and would taper upward to meet the shifter area. This would allow for a larger sub without excessive intrusion into the footwells.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just read on another site that the stealth box made for the CRV fits the Element - i checked out the pics it looks good - fits in the spare tire well.

Does anyone know anything aobut whether it actually does fit and how good a fit it is?

O-IN

·
Registered
51 Posts
No kidding, how long does it take em' to build an enclosure? I'm really interested to see what they come up with, but I'm concerned about the power it'll take to drive it without adding a whole bunch of equipment. There's not much room in the E to add all the components I'd like to, without cluttering up the usable storage area. Hmmm.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:43ef7ed88f="4rachnid"]No kidding, how long does it take em' to build an enclosure? I'm really interested to see what they come up with, but I'm concerned about the power it'll take to drive it without adding a whole bunch of equipment. There's not much room in the E to add all the components I'd like to, without cluttering up the usable storage area. Hmmm.[/quote:43ef7ed88f]
Any kind item that will be mass produced takes time to create because of the enormous number of things that need to take place like:

• modeling for exact tolerances
    machine tooling
    3d cad/cam work modeling
    negotiating pricing and quantities of supplies from vendors
    desiging packaging materials
    creating marketing information
    creating user manuals
    determining pricing structures and profit margins
    testing and quality assurance

Besides, it's possible that JL could have the enclosure mostly done but we just don't know because Chet simply has not seen it or taken pictures of it or maybe just does not have time to post them. The point is we just don't know.

Also, with regard to your concerns for having to use a lot of cargo space in order to install car audio/video components:

Take a look at the systems posted on this forum, most have creatively added lots of components without taking up any cargo space.

My own system is completely hidden with the exception of the subwoofer which resides in the rear cargo area but is instantly removable in case I need to haul some cargo.

Don't worry about hiding an amp to power the sub - there's plenty of spots to hide them. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update...
JL expects to take my car again for sound tests...
I have no updated photos as of yet. Soon as I
get more info I will pass it on. I am getting
"antsy" myself.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts