Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let's just set this meet for the 20th. 10 am meet time at Blaisdell park in Waimalu. Bring your own bento. If you want to ride and need a bike, let me know and I'll bring one down for you. If you know anyone else that is thinking about getting in to biking for excersise, this might be a good opportunity to introduce them to the sport and our awesome Element family. Again, it is a short hour to hour and a half ride that is mosty very flat so don't worry if you're a little out of shape, like me.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Okay cool. I will post up the list again. Oh yeah and it is also byod (bring your own drink) it's gonna be a hot one!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Got my bike re-registered so I'm all legal now. :D

Hey Aaron, know of any beginner routes in Mauka? I tried the ravine last Sunday, coming back up was a killer...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Boy, The Stories I Can Tell You...

Hey Aaron, know of any beginner routes in Mauka? I tried the ravine last Sunday, coming back up was a killer...
Sorry, this is going to go a little off-topic, but Dude! You don't know what a "goldmine" you've come across! If you can't bike it, hike it! :D

The gulches, gullies, ridges, and hills mauka of the H-2 freeway are interlaced with literally miles and miles of jeep double-track, HawaiianTel and HECO service roads, abandoned cane haul and pineapple harvest roads, not to mention the many more miles of singletrack that the dirt bikers have carved out over the years.

You can conceivably ride from Schofield's East Range all the way to Manana/Pearl City Industrial Park, and over to Crestview, if you knew the trails well enough and had a half a mind to do it. With a lot of portaging, of course. In and of itself, the area of Ka Uka Blvd. mauka and behind Mililani Memorial Park is a trail rider's paradise.

All of what I'm describing however, traverses private property, State forest reserve, and land under military jurisdiction, so mountain biking on these access roads and trails is technically, illegal.

Geez, I wish I had a digital camera back in the day... :-( Some of the views from the highlands are simply spectacular and as you look back toward the summit of the Ko`olau, all you see is pristine forest and patches of `uluhe fern. Stunning.

BTW, if you're looking for a relatively easy off-road experience with easy access, try Ka`ena Point. You can park at Mokuleia Beach Park and ride the 2.5 miles to the end of the road. Beyond the pavement, you just follow the dirt road for another 2.5 miles until you reach the boulders that bar further vehicular traffic.

You can then pass into the Ka`ena Point Natural Area Reserve, ride around the point and continue on to Keawa`ula Beach (Yokohama Bay), after you cross over one treacherous washout on the Wai`anae side by foot.

The ride is relatively flat, save for a couple of very low rises, but it is very bumpy. One word of caution. DO NOT ride out there after a heavy rain. Trust me on this. But with summer upon us, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you are really adventurous (and a glutton of punishment), you can venture up to Pea**** Flats/Kuaokala Forest Reserve, above Mokuleia. Miles of fireroads and singletrack will eventually lead you to the Ka`ena Point Satellite Tracking Station. Situated on the spine of the Wai`anae Mountains separating the Wai`anae Coast from the North Shore, there are utterly fantastic views of the Mokuleia shoreline, all the way to Waimea Bay and beyond to the north, and overlooks into Makua Valley to the south. If you're not into climbing, this ride is probably not for you...

Or you can try riding in the Alan Davis/Queen's Bath area near Sandy Beach, below the Makapu`u Lighthouse Trail. Pretty easy ride, but some of the track is pretty rutted up.

Man, all of this talk about mountain biking and reminiscing makes me wish I could really get back into it...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
lol they censored pee kock flats!! lol

·
Registered
890 Posts
lol they censored pee kock flats!! lol
Actually that was me. I beat the word censor to the punch and added my own asterisks b/c I remembered a previous post of mine had a word that contained a reference to male fowl, and it got bleeped out.

BTW, anyone interested in more easy off-road riding can also try the Maunawili Ditch Trail in Waimanalo. It's actually a multi-use path shared by trail runners, equestrian riders, and mountain bikes, so you just need to be attentive and show some courtesy.

On the plus side, it's a relatively short, leisurely ride on fairly level terrain. For more of a challenge, you can connect up this trail with the the lower section of the Maunawili Demonstration Trail, on the Waimanalo Town side. On the negative side, the trailhead is off of Waikupanaha Road in a very rural area.

Not saying that Waimanalo is a bad area... Like anywhere else though, there are bad apples. Anyone who want to try this might want to leave their car at the District Park and ride in the couple of miles to the trailhead.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Once I get in better shape and start riding more, I'd like to try some "trails," although my bike may not be good enough for that. Aching can tell what my bike can and cannot handle...

So where's updated list for 20th? I'm in...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to be rude, but can we get back to the subject at hand? Please post if you are or are not going to make it to the next meet. It's a Bring your own bento picnic/bike ride. If there's not enough interest, we'll just scratch the idea and try something else next month.

·
Registered
26 Posts
June 20th Meet

Aloha Folks!
Tyke (Wolfman and Linda) checking in. Just got back from the mainland last week. Got to visit the grandkids in DC and then headed down south to Chattanooga for a big family reunion.

We had a great time, but are now both physically and financially exhausted and really happy to be home again!

So sorry, but Linda and I will be unable to attend the meet on the 20th. My schedule is jammed with meetings every third Saturday of the month.

Have a great time, we'll see you soon!

Tyke

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I know the real reason Tyke!! You only ride bikes with motors :D (just messing with you folks) OKay well hope to see you peeps on the next meet. OKay this is what I got so far. Let me know if this is accurate? How much turnout do we need to make this happen Aching?

Bike ride
1. Aching
2. Kristy?
3. AYF
4. Metal03
5. Elemento

Picnic
1. Aching
2. Kristy
3 Metal03
4 AYF
5. Elemento
6. The.element (bike ride?)
7. Oldblue ? (bike ride?)
8. Sandy ? (bike ride?)

Come on we need you peeps to chime in and let us know what's up here.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Bike ride
1. Aching
2. Kristy?
3. AYF
4. Metal03
5. Elemento

Picnic
1. Aching
2. Kristy
3 Metal03
4 AYF
5. Elemento
6. The.element (bike ride?)
7. Oldblue
8. Sandy ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay guys, less than one week till the next meet is supposed to happen. Post up and let the rest of us know if you are planning on attending. Also, I need to know if I need to bring bikes for anyone. We might just scrap this one and wait another month if there isn't enough response by, let's say, Wednesday.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ha! ha! you're right, but there are a bunch of things happening and watching her is just one of the things; biggest thing is a graduation party that we're attending.

hope to make the next one :D

Is your daughter bolted to the house? :D:lol:
Last time I checked, kids are VERY mobile.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I am ready just need to find out if it's a good to go from Aching. Aching?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We're good to go. Just need to know how many bikes I need to bring down to the park. Also the heights of the people who will be riding them would be good so I know which bikes to bring. Because it's a BYOB event, I guess it doesn't really matter how many people come. As always though, the more the merrier. Kristi said she won't be riding so she will stay back with Matt.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts