Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cross-country road trip? In a car like this, how could I not?? At some point last year, I got a wild hair to take a cross-country road trip, and it is going to happen this year!

Starting in mid-August, I'm taking six weeks to drive to Maine, camp for a week, pick up a friend, drive to California, camp for about a week, then drive home.

Here is the route from Washington - Maine at this point (subject to change!):

WA - ID - MT - ND - SD - MN - WI - IL - IN - OH - PA - NY - MA - VT - NH - ME

After Maine, I'll kill some time, then head to Delaware to pick up my co-pilot. From there, we are heading on a southern route, something like:

DE - MD - VA - TN - AR - OK - TX - NM - CO - UT - NV - CA

Camping with the West Coast camping fools, then heading directly north,

CA - OR - WA!

A lot of this trip will be on main interstates, but we'd like to see some beautiful things, especially on my (solo) week up in the Northeast, and (together) down through the south. National Parks are also of interest!

The eastbound trip is pretty well scheduled, and will mostly be long driving days. The return trip will still require making good distance each day, but my hope is to see some sights and not have brutal driving days. I've done that before, and want to enjoy the ride!

Your suggestions are welcomed!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I personally would head NE when you travel through Wisconsin and go through the UP of Michigan and then heading to Maine through Canada.

or drop down into lower Michigan> unless chicago is a target. there is much to see in northern michigan>if you have never been if an be a surprise

ahh... but time is always the enemy on these trips

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did consider going through Canada via Michigan! But you nailed it ... Chicago is indeed a target. I'm staying with a friend for two nights there and exploring the city before continuing on. Old family friends in Ohio will keep me on that route up through Erie, PA and into NY.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Why do I think you took out a Costco locator to make-up your route?

Look forward to seeing pictures and hearing the stories

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Cross-country road trip? . . . .

WA - ID - MT - ND - SD - MN - WI - IL - IN - OH - PA - NY - MA - NH - ME . . .

Your suggestions are welcomed!
Trina, this sounds like a lot of FUN !! :)

If you are crossing the WI-IL State line on I-90 , you'll be 7 miles and 6 corn fields away from my house !!

The way I read this , sounds like no camping along the way . . . only at the 2 end points ?

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Disappointed you didn't say MD. It's okay...I'll meet you at one of the Many VA Costcos... Oh I can come to DE too! :grin:

-g

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Wow, this would be so much fun, we did something similar many many years ago - dang near 25 years ago now... anyway, if you're going through the "NM - CO - AZ - UT - NV" areas, do not miss Arches NP, Mesa Verde NP, or just about any of the canyon lands in South-Eastern Utah as they are absolutely breathtaking.

If time isn't a tremendous worry, avoid the interstates travel as many of the back roads as you possibly can - you will enjoy the trip a thousand times over if you do. Trust me, twenty years from now you will be so glad that you did.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Avoid I-95 and I-81 in VA and NC by driving the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway.

That would be immersion in Shenandoah NP and Smoky Mt. NP.

Overnight at Big Meadows campground in SNP (my usual haunt).

Consider jumping off at Charlottesville, VA to tour Thomas Jefferson's amazing home: Monticello.

Boone/Blowing Rock, NC for a night (way high up on the BRP).

Be nicely cool up in the mountains in the summer, as opposed to the oppressive humidity of the lower elevations.

Asheville, NC is something of a magnet for artists and just off the BRP.

Epic trip - we'll feast on your photos!

:)

P.S. be warned that Virginia is one gigantic speed trap, the proceeds from which Virginia is counting on for revenue. Going 20mph over the speed limit in that state is a criminal misdemeanor and the exorbitant fines and penalties reflect that (in addition to the criminal record that it establishes for the driver). Reason enough to stay off I-95, I-66 and I-81 and take it easy on the rest of the roads.

If you are busted, I could refer you to an excellent attorney (the only reason I do not now have a criminal record).

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Junebug, you are a mad woman!:jump021:

Driving cross country and back in the month of August is very commendable.
I’m glad that you’ll be picking up some one to share the driving with on the ride back to the West Coast.

Being a In-N-Out fan you should pick up a copy of Guy Fieri’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives – An All American Road Trip”
My guess is that you’ll be near to many of these delectable road side food dumps and you should (for reasons of prosperity) stop at as many as you can, try the foods, rate them and post some pics.

If you stop to see Box4Rocks and Obi, please slap Mike around for me. (he’ll love it!)
Inform him that if he can’t make it the 2010 West Coast National Meet that his dog Obi is intent to go without him.
(Obi might be planning on hitting you up for a ride) :eek:die:

The end of your long hot summer drive will have you rolling into the coolest part of the country, under the canopies of gianormus 300 ft. Redwood trees, the amazing Ocean Pacific, clear water rivers and many friends to greet you upon arrival.

Could there be a better way to wrap up an epic cross-country drive?
I think not!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very exciting! I hope you plan to spend some time in upstate NY. If not, we're going to come and get you!
If by "some time" you mean "one night or more," I think we're set. :) Not sure if I'll have more than one night, but I do hope to see a bunch of you!

Also, I would like your personal recommendation for pizza in CT. I'll probably pass through there on the way out, and I should go, right?

ORANGEE said:
Why do I think you took out a Costco locator to make-up your route?
Heh. One might think ... but I didn't. :)

Box4Rox said:
If you are crossing the WI-IL State line on I-90 , you'll be 7 miles and 6 corn fields away from my house !!

The way I read this , sounds like no camping along the way . . . only at the 2 end points ?
Hey, maybe we can meet for a cup of joe and/or an Obi-dog visit! That's one of my long driving days, but if I'm that close it'd be a shame to not see you! You're right, I decided not to camp along the way. While very excited, I'm a little anxious about being on the road for so long, and decided my own bathroom and hot shower each night (and staying with friends) would add to my overall enjoyment!

gisele said:
Disappointed you didn't say MD. It's okay...I'll meet you at one of the Many VA Costcos... Oh I can come to DE too!
If for no other reason, we need to meet to have a "dirtiest Element" contest, right? (I added MD, not realizing it's near impossible to flee Delaware without crossing Maryland.)

bh241 said:
anyway, if you're going through the "NM - CO - AZ - UT - NV" areas, do not miss Arches NP, Mesa Verde NP, or just about any of the canyon lands in South-Eastern Utah as they are absolutely breathtaking.

If time isn't a tremendous worry, avoid the interstates travel as many of the back roads as you possibly can - you will enjoy the trip a thousand times over if you do. Trust me, twenty years from now you will be so glad that you did.
Benny, we were planning on Arches and Mesa Verde, so I am glad to hear the added recommendation! And I promise to at least consider back roads where it makes sense. I hear what you are saying, and hope to balance interstates with longer driving days.

hiker chick said:
Avoid I-95 and I-81 in VA and NC by driving the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway.
We are heading from Milford, DE to Virginia Beach, VA first, and then west from there somehow, so we'll be a bit further south. Maybe we'll shoot up to Charlottesville and snag a piece of the Blue Ridge Parkway? Thank you also for the criminal misdemeanor information. My employer would have an issue with a criminal citation, so I'll avoid that!!

Miss Ellie & Co. said:
Could there be a better way to wrap up an epic cross-country drive?
I will be SO excited to see you all!! (And frigging STOP for several days!) Guy Fieri's diet would kill me!! Haha ... I may check out that book, though, and pick a few key stops!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I 80 from IL to NY. You can't beat it. Great rest stops through OH. Most with a quality restaurant along with the fast food. If your ready to stretch your legs in mid-PA, Du Bois has one of the most unusual Harley Davidson stores in the US.

What a great trip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I envy you! It sounds like a great trip!

Where in Maine are you going to camp? Maine is huge. It is slow to go east to west from New Hampshire unless you are at the southern tip near the shore. Mountains and lakes in the way. Very scenic of course. But your friend can advise you.

In CT, there is great Italian food in South Hartford. Take the Brainard Road exit off 15/91, which is close to the intersection of 84/91. Taking the Charter Oak Bridge from 84 to 91 south will save you headaches. Brainard Rd is the first exit i think, but Wethersfield is fine, you just go north a bit to get to Hartford's southend. Maple Giant Grinder and Pizza is at the corner of Maple and Adelaide St. Really great eggplant grinders too, thick and tasty. There used to be a lady there, all she did was fry eggplant all day and was it good. I'd like to drive down and have one now! On Franklin Avenue, for desert you will find the Modern Bakery and Mozzacatos Bakery and others. Modern has a counter to sit at, Mozz has a cafe. Cookies! Napoleons! Good pizza in New Haven too, though I don't know specifics. Good pizza in Wethersfield too, right in the village, which is a very pretty place to visit. Forget the name of the pizza place. It is near Comstock Ferre nursery. Also Vito's Pizza in Wetherfield on the Silas Deane Highway. This will be on the right when you get off 91 onto Silas Deane/99 south.

This is making me hungry! I used to live in the pizza capitol of CT, and Maine has no good pizza north of Portland.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
We are heading from Milford, DE to Virginia Beach, VA first, and then west from there somehow, so we'll be a bit further south. Maybe we'll shoot up to Charlottesville and snag a piece of the Blue Ridge Parkway? Thank you also for the criminal misdemeanor information. My employer would have an issue with a criminal citation, so I'll avoid that!!

I will be SO excited to see you all!! (And frigging STOP for several days!) Guy Fieri's diet would kill me!! Haha ... I may check out that book, though, and pick a few key stops!
Trina, I could get you on the Naval Bases here if you want to see the strongest part of the military in this area. Also, lots of good places to eat and visit if you have the time.

Bob

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Trina, I could get you on the Naval Bases here if you want to see the strongest part of the military in this area. Also, lots of good places to eat and visit if you have the time.

Bob
Trina -- Let him take you to the Jewish Mother if you are there on Thursday night. Best shrimp on the east coast. Take him up on the navy base tour.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did read the last few posts from the 16-18th, but didn't respond! Laaame of me.

Spotman, do you think you'll be around for a dinner meet on Tuesday, September 7th? We're figuring to get to Virginia Beach around dinnertime ... maybe we can plan something?

Cyclist, We have a 5 Guys out here, go figure!

I'm bummed we won't be there on a Thursday, cuz I loves me some shrimp!

Thanks for all the food recommendations ... who knows what all I'll get to, but I know it's going to be a great trip!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts