Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a viper 5701 and had it installed on my E. I LOVE IT!!! It's so nice walking out to my E when its 80+ degrees knowing when i jump it it will be ice cold. The alarm has remote start/alarm/keyless I love the fact that it has a 2 way pager that works up to 1000 FT. And to show off my new alarm to my friends.... i can check the temperature INSIDE of my E while sitting in class ;)

Must say this is one of the best things i've added yet. I've added this alarm because i plan on adding a Panasonic x910bt within a few weeks so i cant wait!! just had to share my new add on with someone!!!!!

Now i'm going to pull my E into the shade and wash her down!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I just bought a viper 5701 and had it installed on my E. I LOVE IT!!! It's so nice walking out to my E when its 80+ degrees knowing when i jump it it will be ice cold. The alarm has remote start/alarm/keyless I love the fact that it has a 2 way pager that works up to 1000 FT. And to show off my new alarm to my friends.... i can check the temperature INSIDE of my E while sitting in class ;)

Must say this is one of the best things i've added yet. I've added this alarm because i plan on adding a Panasonic x910bt within a few weeks so i cant wait!! just had to share my new add on with someone!!!!!

Now i'm going to pull my E into the shade and wash her down!
Congrats!! It will be kinda hard for you to put a Panasonic X910BT in your E..... Panasonic no longer makes car audio, HOWEVER, Pioneer makes a radio with the exact same model designation :evil:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LMAO im sorry i was looking at my panasonic plasma while typing and day dreaming about my E, i think your right i might stick with the pioneer

:lol:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey Elementfanatic...

I have the Viper 5901 ...can You turn on the rear defrost on yours with the remote??
I dont think mine works? and if yours does, I need to go to Best Buy and
throw some bows..hahaha...thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my 5701 manual it says the dealer must install and turn on this feature, im curious does your interior light stay on a little longer than normal with the viper installed?

·
Registered
680 Posts
just tested it. My interior lights go off as soon as I arm it. I think, it is in conjunction with the door locks. When I arm the system, it locks the doors, and then the lights turn off. I THINK

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya thats what happens with mine but if i dont arm it it seems the interior light will stay on for a good minuet instead of only 30 seconds or so like it used to. Strange but i plan on arming mine so it wont really matter. I'm going to add the window module to have my windows roll up/down at a later date, i doubt ill do the fogger/defrost because i'm in Texas and need it MAYBE twice a year?

There one more add on i remember seeing at the shop but dont know what it was, hence i probably dont need it lol.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
the timing is done by the domelight supervision wire that comes from the alarm. this wire's signal goes away after aprox 1 min or when the alarm is armed. if you clipped this wire it would revert back to the typical element timing and still go out when the alarm was armed as the doors would be getting lock signal from the alarm, which is what tells it to shut off before the 30 seconds.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:food004: Yoda your great! no matter what little tid bit i spew out about some sort of mobile electronics this guy is right on top of it! outstanding!

Now that i know my car wont stay on forever and kill its battery i feel better.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey guys! If you don't mind me asking how much is that system go for?

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
Auto start is great. I have it in my E and love it. Only problem with me is that I changed the horn in my E and put in some air horns and when my alarm goes off people in California wake up :lol::lol:. Now when I park at the train station going to work I don't alarm the car cause when the trains pass by they set off my alarm. "The Rube" is very sensitive.:lol:

Now you gotta get a rear view camera. Its awesome. I have it along with rear back-up sensors. If I hit something while backing up it means I dropped dead at the wheel.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys! If you don't mind me asking how much is that system go for?
mine was installed at a shop 2 blocks away. It cost me 541.37 with tax.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just found the 5701 at best buy for $399 installed. Can you change the temperature or would your have to leave the A/C on so if you start the car is just goes? They have the 5901 for $499 installed plus the BP module. It looks like a LCD remote. I want to get a good one!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I just found the 5701 at best buy for $399 installed. Can you change the temperature or would your have to leave the A/C on so if you start the car is just goes? They have the 5901 for $499 installed plus the BP module. It looks like a LCD remote. I want to get a good one!
You need to leave the HVAC controls set to where you would like them when you enter the car. Also, remember that the 5701 is still going to need the bypass, not just the 5901. The PKALL (the bypass) should be $79.99 at most locations and there is a $24.99 labor charge to install it. There is also a standard $5 materials fee. Not all Best Buys play by the same rules though, just a little info to consider while your shopping.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
first read the best buy reviews about their installs and how they jack the price way up about double what you first see "with install", found out bestbuy would cost over 600 bucks to really install it. second support your local shop not the big dogs, shop just down the street did my viper for 5401 installed including all extra bypasses and such, also they did it alot faster with actually trained personnel and they offer a lifetime warranty for as long as i own the car. I was going to go the BB route until i saw their hidden charges and install times/quality. I went with the 5701 because i cant justify the extra 1-2 hundred for the lcd and a little longer range. Plus i like the ghost LED aspect of mine where i can tell whats happening via the leds while others just see lights lol.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe all Viper alarms have the lifetime warranty....at least the one I had years ago did because I replaced it a couple times when I changed out cars. One of my buddies at work installs 'em and was able to make it out like it was the same car. :grin:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
first read the best buy reviews about their installs and how they jack the price way up about double what you first see "with install", found out bestbuy would cost over 600 bucks to really install it. second support your local shop not the big dogs, shop just down the street did my viper for 5401 installed including all extra bypasses and such, also they did it alot faster with actually trained personnel and they offer a lifetime warranty for as long as i own the car. I was going to go the BB route until i saw their hidden charges and install times/quality. I went with the 5701 because i cant justify the extra 1-2 hundred for the lcd and a little longer range. Plus i like the ghost LED aspect of mine where i can tell whats happening via the leds while others just see lights lol.
Please don't bash the quality of an installer/shop unless you have first hand knowledge that they do a poor job. There are just as many "hacks" (it's what we in the industry call them) at your local shops as there are in retail chains. You have to look at things in a different light when you consider the things you read about a "big box's" reputation. There are thousands of installers and it is much easier to find info about a "big box" store than it is a local/independant shop. MANY installers at chains come from independant shops because there is more stability in a chain store.

Lifetime warranty's on installation are available just about anywhere product is sold/installed...the question is....is that shop going to be there 5 years from now? For the record, I believe I can speak on this because I have the experience of working for an independant shop, owning my own shop and working for a big box store. I ran my own shop for 6 years and all of my installs came with a lifetime workmanship warranty....I never expected to not be able to back it up BUT as we all know, the economy has not been that great over the last year+ and even though I was not forced to close my doors, I decided to move on (or I should say return) to a company (yes...Best Buy) that for the most part has proven to be stable. I have also worked for an independant shop that has been around for MANY years, it was a great place to work for the most part, but there is limited room for advancement in those types of shops. The alternative offers more room for advancement, etc..

Also, I can promise you that Best Buy trains their installers and we have a network in place to help eachother out across the company. The only training I ever received at an independant shop was by the seat of my pants. I did send myself to trainings when I ran my own place though. My remote start/security installs take anywhere from 1.5 hours to 6 hours depending on the system being installed and the vehicle it is being installed in. A fast install doesn't mean a good install but it also doesn't mean it's poor install. The real problem I see on a regular basis is the sales staff isn't always on point with their info and often misinform customers when quoting installation parts/prices. This is something we try to improve upon with every customer interaction at my current store.

Now, I will admit...that pricing at Best Buy can sometimes be out there. Alarms do come with installation included. Ads normally state that additional parts and labor may be required. Not every vehicle requires additional parts, but most do nowadays. When I owned my own shop, I was generally about $100 cheaper for a similar remote start product compared to Best Buy, but now, if my former customers have any issues, my doors are no longer open. This bother me to no end, but it is a fact of life.

Lastly, this isn't a rant, just a request that you not make a generalization about an entire company's line of technicians because of some stuff you read on the internet. It would be like somebody saying you suck at your job because of something one of your co-workers screwed up.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe all Viper alarms have the lifetime warranty....
DEI offers a limited lifetime warranty of the Viper products. Typically it is a one year over the counter exchange and if there is a product issue after that, it is returned to Directed to either be repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thats the thing I want is someone that is going to be around for awhile!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
when I park at the train station going to work I don't alarm the car cause when the trains pass by they set off my alarm. "The Rube" is very sensitive.:lol:
You might want to peruse your alarm manual,because most of them allow you to easily disable the shock sensor for those times when false triggers are bound to happen. This will at least offer some protection and I'd really hate to hear that someone got a hold of your fine looking E' all because you didn't have your alarm armed.:shock: I've used that feature on my E' a few times during really bad thunder storms. Mine is quite simple to disable,as it's done via the remote transmitter.8)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Got the 5901 Viper installed

I had an issue that you may want to look into on your Viper. The alarm would not go off if the passenger door was opened. Simple test. Just set the alarm and unlock the door with your key and open. The manager gave me $75 dollar refund for my troubles. The tech at Best Buy said that passenger door was on a separate line from the driver door and the hatch. Just fyi. I have another post about this unit and its features..http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64499&highlight=viper

1 - 20 of 22 Posts