Honda Element Owners Club banner

Just curious..........

806 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  slimerdogs 
#1 ·
Why on earth is 2nd gear locked? Most cars will have 2nd downshift to 1st when needed, but not the Element. Why, Why, Why?????????????????

#4 ·
It's an automatic. Every automatic I've driven has a 1 and 2 gear, some even a 3. Normally while in 2, it will keep the trans in 2nd, BUT it will also downshift to 1st when coming to a stop. The Element does not, and it states this in the owner's manual as well. I'm just trying to figure out why someone would ever need the car to be locked in 2nd permanently.

#8 ·
Both my sister's 2004 civic and my father's 2007 Fit have automatics, and when in Drive the transmission will downshift through all gears when coasting/branking slowly to a stop. It was really disconcerting the first time I felt it, then I looked at the owner's manuals and figured it out.

Great feature, never seen it anywhere else - has anyone else driven an automatic that downshifts itself when in Drive?

#10 ·
Fords also when in second they stay in that gear. You will need to bring yours up in the mountains right above you in the snow and have some fun and see what it does..:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.