Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
don't know about averages. my fronts are at 63K right now, and still going. i swapped my rears at about 40K, b/c one of the calipers seized and prematurely ground down the brakes.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It depends on your driving conditions but sounds pretty good. I have 86000 on my original set but its a manual and I downshift going down hills.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
...but its a manual and I downshift going down hills.
Completely agree with Slimerdogs... the trans will make a difference, (I'm also in the MT camp... at 75k, looking around for -and finding- some great examples of pad/rotor recomendations but as preventative maintenance) ...climate and driving style will also make a difference...

FWIW, we (manual trans folks) are just exchanging one consumable for another... the AT folks need not bother with a clutch... :-D

To answer the question at hand... given the data provided, average and acceptable...
Rotors resurfaced just tells me that the person responsible for the job took pride in doing it right... worth every penny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
80,000+miles with auto trans and still on originals. I checked the brakes before winter and they still had decent life to them. I'll probably replace them this summer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
yea i never changed my OEM pads till 103k'ish... i did baby my car most of the time, but 103k on the first pair... pretty impressive!

·
Registered
222 Posts

Mine are being replaced at my next oil change at 70,000. Wow, seems like I'm the low-mile guy here, and I thought I used brakes sparingly. I'm a big time coaster.

New rotors and new pads all around - $600. Sound fair? Thats with ceramic pads.

Anyone else remember your first brake job in the E? Oooooh that sounds naughty. The MILEAGE of your first brake job!

·
Registered
216 Posts
107,000 miles on the original pads - again, careful driving and MT help.

I have noticed a VERY subtle pulsing recently, so some brake work might not be too far off - but the pads look like they have quite a bit of life left.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Just had the front pads replaced today at 45k. Indie mech showed me one of the pads and it was almost at the wear bar. But I used to do tons of city driving, now my commute is all rush hour highway traffic, and the Mrs Jdiane thinks she is mario andretti and slams on the brakes (she really doesnt understand 'coasting' :roll:). $200 for front pads, brake fluid, tranny fluid.

·
Registered
139 Posts
162080 on the original pads all the way around, still have a couple of millimeters(?) of wear before they need changing, according to my Honda dealer.

It is an AT.

I do fairly long commutes to work, and live in rural America.

·
Registered
222 Posts
162080 on the original pads all the way around, still have a couple of millimeters(?) of wear before they need changing, according to my Honda dealer.
It is an AT.
Dude, do you throw an anchor out the back? :shock:

·
Registered
536 Posts

It is an AT.

Gee, no sense in rushing into things here. A millimeter is a millmeter. Just kidding. You may have set the record for brake wear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, its seems like a caliper was hanging up too because since the new brakes my gas mileage is right back up to where it should be. Of course having some temporary 80 degree weather hasnt hurt either.

I was averaging 17-21 mpg combined the entire winter and I realize alot of that is the gas/ethanol crap they sell here during the winter but with the new brakes Im right back up to 21-25 mpg. Of course if a pad is hanging up that will burn them out sooner too. With the soft, late response of the E's brakes I am probably harder on them than in a vehicle with a normal or touchy brake pedal like my wifes Mazda...

My local mechanic seems to think I did the average for needing brake pads. On most of my previous vehuicles (GMs) Id get about 70000 out of fronts and 95000 on rears.

The E just seems to drive better like it did when it was new. The brakes started going this past November... constant road salt and corrision kill calipers and brakes.

NY/NJ driving is hyper fast to complete stop and go traffic. Im sure it will kill brakes faster not to mention the other driver idiot factor.

Deacon with all due respect pls dont ever drive behind me... LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gee, no sense in rushing into things here. A millimeter is a millmeter. Just kidding. You may have set the record for brake wear.
The way I see it is that the E, as much as I like the thing, is a business investment. The paint ain't peeling, the rods aren't knocking, the brakes are stopping fine so I don't fix something that is working. I'll let y'all know when I replace them.

Seriously, until I got on EOC, I thought that this was fairly normal for brakes to last this long. :-D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts