Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -

I just had my valves adjusted on my 2005 Manual EX with 81000 miles. I picked up the car from the dealer today and I'm hearing a fairly noticeable clicking noise correlated in speed to the engine rpms. Is this normal? Assuming my valves were adjusted to the loose side of the spec, am I hearing typical valve clicking noises?

Thanks!

Joe.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree that this is not normal. When the valves are adjusted properly you should not hear any loud noises. Take it back and have it done over again.

·
Registered
874 Posts
go back, why would they ajust to the loose side ??? they just missed it or didnt know what they were doing. I don't under stand why honda did not use hydrolic ajusters. probly to help support the dealers service dept.:shock:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I dropped off my E at the dealer this morning. In addition to the clicking I noticed the distinct smell of burning coolant. The dealer confirmed both of the issues (clicking and coolant smell) as soon as I arrived. They told me I would have to pay to have diagnostic work done on the coolant smell!!! Pretty ballsy.

Other than this latest valve adjustment episode, the dealer in question has been great to work with and very price competitive for service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
clicking valvetrain is normal in solid lifter setup,(especially in a honda) the reason the valves need adjusted is because as it wears with mileage the valve clearance goes away (no tapping sound will be heard), so clearance is put back in by adjusting them to spec. this may be what you are heaing, since you are not used to hearing it since it was adjusted

but it is possible they set it too loose which is bad, but some clicking or tapping sound is normal and good, because on solid lifter, if there is no slight tapping sound, then that is a good indication that there is not enough clearance and a valve will not seat all the way and can lead to a burnt valve.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I dropped off my E at the dealer this morning. In addition to the clicking I noticed the distinct smell of burning coolant. The dealer confirmed both of the issues (clicking and coolant smell) as soon as I arrived. They told me I would have to pay to have diagnostic work done on the coolant smell!!! Pretty ballsy.

Other than this latest valve adjustment episode, the dealer in question has been great to work with and very price competitive for service.

Joe are you using Herb Chambers, or Cambridge Honda?

Personally, I like to set up street engines on the loose ( noisy ) side by a thousandth or so from factory spec.

Race engines are set up the other direction. You must consider that on a race engine, your going to be tearing it down after every race, ( Fuel ) every 2 or 3 races (Alcohol ) and every 7 or 8 races ( Gas ). So in essence the valve will seat under heavy load. Negating the clearance issue. In race engines, your looking for all the gas (read Air/Exhaust) flow you can get!

After all on the track your going to " float" the valves anyway. Some people attempt to spring them stiffer to minimize float, and wind up stretching the stem. That leads to the engine ingesting the valve at high Rpm's. Not Good !

A small amount of "tappet" noise is not bad for the Engine. If the valve sounds like it's slapping the seat, That's bad.

So what happened at the dealer's?

Dom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts