Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was taken just after it was delivered... I half-way unpacked it and stuffed it into the back of the Element so I could bring it to my friend's place to install it! The rack was so big that it stuck out the back almost to the end of the tailgate.

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now it's on! It's such a great looking roof rack. The way it contours to the roof-line is just awesome. If anyone is thinking about getting this and has a few extra dollars lying around (I know it's expensive, but I sold some junk on ebay to help finance my obsession), I would highly recommend this rack. The quality is unsurpassed and it just looks awesome!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nice purchase. Thanks for the pics.

Gobi is on my list for the future when I need one. I think it is the best on the market. They are not cheap but I think they are almost worth it!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry for the double post...

If you get a chance after you have driven it for a few tanks of gas I am real curious how much the fuel mileage is affected. Probably be at least a drop of a couple mpgs. Also interested in the added noise of the rack.

Looks great on your E btw!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a ton for the positive comments! I think it looks great and I'm really happy so far.

Since I've only drive 45 miles with it so far, I haven't taken notice of the mpg change, but I can say that there is virtually no wind noise from it on the roof. I had the E up to 85 mph on the interstate this morning and didn't hear anything. The only noise, and this is kinda funny, is that when you slam the door you can kinda hear a "cluuuung!" noise faintly from all the metal up there. Otherwise you'd never know it's up there.

It was a bit of a pain to install if you have big hands, because tightening some of the bolts was not easy in between all that metal. In all it took me and a friend about an hour to an hour and a half to install... We took some breaks during it though :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think your friend missed Christmas by a few months...

Nice looking rack! (that's what she said)
Thats funny:lol: I didn't notice the decorations the first time I saw the pics.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAH, that's actually taken at MY house.

Maybe I just like Christmas that much :lol:

or..... I'm lazy! :-D

·
Registered
478 Posts
So now you have this big fuggly rack on top of the Element for the rest of your life. Uh what do you carry on this rack that won't fit inside? How do you wash the roof? Why????

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So now you have this big fuggly rack on top of the Element for the rest of your life. Uh what do you carry on this rack that won't fit inside? How do you wash the roof? Why????
1. I like it. That should be all that matters.
2. I carry lots of items that I'd rather not have inside the Element, especially if I have more than 2 people going somewhere. This serves that purpose.
3. I don't think it'd fugly. I think it makes the E look rugged.
4. It's not permanent. It's bolted into the factory roof rack mounting points.
5. Enjoy life!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I like the look of these racks and the TPSlizard rack as well. Just don't have the funds to justify replacing my smaller basket that I use a few time a years with the full size rack.

My basket is mounted to a Thule rack and is easy to remove when ever I don't need it.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I am by no means a roof rack person, but that is a seriously good looking one! I really like the way that the shape is contured to the roof. "Nice Job!!!"

Chief

·
Registered
26 Posts
Very nice looking rack, but bigger than what I need. One question comes to mind though.....Why do they call this stealth? :|

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice looking rack, but bigger than what I need. One question comes to mind though.....Why do they call this stealth? :|
I think it's because of the low profile of the rack -- one of the lowest on the market, which was important for me. There is another model that is much bigger, believe it or not haha.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i myself am not a rack persone due to the way most (even factory) dont flow well with the rest of the car or its roof line. but i have always liked this rack and the way that it fits. glad to see someone else footed the bill for this one as i honestly think it is the best looking one out there for the E. (just really pricey ;-) )

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
1. I like it. That should be all that matters.
5. Enjoy life!
'NUF SAID...!

Welcome and nice pics...! I LOVE that rack and know EXACTLY what you mean by having it... Those folks at Gobi know their stuff and glad to see one... May your E give you many years of service and enjoyment...! Congrats...

Thanks again...

LBD

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is a nice looking rack. Are you going to get the Gobi ladder to complete the package?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a nice looking rack. Are you going to get the Gobi ladder to complete the package?
Thank you everyone!

Yes, it came with the ladder which I have. I'm just deciding whether or not I want to put it on. Would it be overkill?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
...it came with the ladder which I have. I'm just deciding whether or not I want to put it on. Would it be overkill?
NEVER!!! You'll just get so many people asking you how you like your New Land Rover... LMELBO!!!

Sorry...! I couldn't resist... LMELBO!!!

LBD

·
Registered
103 Posts
How is the height of the stealth compared to the factory rack? There a lot of really low parking garages in my area.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
when are you going to pack up that rack with gear, I want to see it loaded...Put some junk and kayaks up there for us to see.:lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts