Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I installed an AFE Stage 1 Air Intake. Not only was the installation very easy, but it also looks great! It sounds good,and I already see and feel some slight gains. On the highway while cruising at 70mph It used to run at about 3200rpm's now its at about 2600rpm's! Also feel a bit of a pick up in acceleration.
Does anyone else have this system, and what do you think?:roll:

·
Registered
481 Posts
So you can just bolt on an air intake and the engine will sound louder and your rpm's will drop at 70mph. Golllllyyyie! It sure is easy to hop up an engine. That is the same thing those guys do on their Harley Davidson's. Why didn't Honda think of that?

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade here Bygshow but i have to go with what everyone else is saying. My 2006 AT with the same engine and tranny runs about 2700-2800 @ 70 mph.

There are a few threads that talk about rpms at highway speed and you will find that most people here with the old 4 speed auto will tell you the run the same rev range at 70-70 mph.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Did you have the overdrive button pressed...?:grin:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yesterday I installed an AFE Stage 1 Air Intake. Not only was the installation very easy, but it also looks great! It sounds good,and I already see and feel some slight gains. On the highway while cruising at 70mph It used to run at about 3200rpm's now its at about 2600rpm's! Also feel a bit of a pick up in acceleration.
Does anyone else have this system, and what do you think?:roll:
Please help me understand how changing an intake manifold will lower the engine RPM @ 70 mph?

·
Registered
562 Posts
okay, so it probably isn't helping that much, but the owner is enthusiastic of their new purchase, cut em a little slack. Can we at least see pics of the intake installed? I have been considering this mod myself.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Snowdreams: AFE intakes do not fit 07 up E's, they do not have the maf provision, you could make it fit by buying a cheap sri for a 02-06 civic si($40 ebay) and cutting out the maf piece and adding it to the plumbing. From what I have read, the AFE intake is by far the worst for the E, you would be better off putting a k&n filter in your stock box and removing the resonator, thats what I have now and noticed improvement in the lower rpm range and it sounds good. Another mod I just did was take the air box lid, dremel out all the ridges and air restrictors and sand it smooth, it helped the most, plus it still looks stock for warranty work, next up it something I am making right now, I will post it when I am all done, but lets just say the stock air box will be getting a ton of cold air.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you are telling me by adding more of an airflow, cooling the engine more decreasing the workload would not decrease RPM's?! Of course it would!!! There is less of a strain on the engine.... I drive 80 miles a day to a from work, and I set my cruise control every single time, I know what the RPM numbers were, and there was a drop!

·
Registered
562 Posts
you would be better off putting a k&n filter in your stock box and removing the resonator, thats what I have now and noticed improvement in the lower rpm range and it sounds good. Another mod I just did was take the air box lid, dremel out all the ridges and air restrictors and sand it smooth, it helped the most, plus it still looks stock for warranty work, next up it something I am making right now, I will post it when I am all done, but lets just say the stock air box will be getting a ton of cold air.
Later
Steve[/QUOTE]

yeah I was considering that also, plus adding a flexible hose into the air box set up for a ram air type location. Saw it done a couple of times using some homedepot goods. I am officially off warranty and ready to start playing more.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Still have 50,000 miles on my warranty left, only have 30k now, that why when I drop it, the stock suspension will be boxed up and ready incase I have serious warranty work on the suspension, I also had to put my stock exhaust back on once, thank god that gibson installs in a half hour.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So you are telling me by adding more of an airflow, cooling the engine more decreasing the workload would not decrease RPM's?! Of course it would!!! There is less of a strain on the engine.... I drive 80 miles a day to a from work, and I set my cruise control every single time, I know what the RPM numbers were, and there was a drop!
:lol: We shouldn't let physics and logic get in the way right?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RPM's are a function of tire height and the final gear ratio. There would be no change in RPM's by adding an intake system.
Definition of RPM's:
It is measured quantity of the output of a motor. See below.

You can see this displayed on your cars tachometer.

-----------------------------------
TORQUE and RPM are the MEASURED quantities of engine output. POWER is CALCULATED from torque and RPM, by the following equation.

HP (Horsepower) = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

An engine produces POWER by applying a TORQUE on a rotating shaft (driveshaft).

A dynamometer measures torque and RPM, and from those two values calculates observed power. Then it applies various factors (air temperature, barometric pressure, relative humidity) in order to correct the observed power to the value it would have been if it had been measured at standard atmospheric conditions (corrected power).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
^^^ha ha ha, that is why I left out a comment on my post, I have been building cars for 14 years, both personal and for high $$$ race teams and collectors. Your RPM range will not drop, the load on the engine may drop at the RPM's for better MPG's, that is because the motor is running more efficiently. What may have been happening is your E was having trouble moving so it was staying in a lower gear, depending on the grade of the road, wind resistance(elements were not made to cruise at 85), and other driving habbits. I have never ever ever ever ever(Friday-Chris Tucker) seen this happen. But hey, you could also put in a ebay chip and get +75 hp and 200mpg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definition of RPM's:
It is measured quantity of the output of a motor. See below.

You can see this displayed on your cars tachometer.

-----------------------------------
TORQUE and RPM are the MEASURED quantities of engine output. POWER is CALCULATED from torque and RPM, by the following equation.

HP (Horsepower) = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

An engine produces POWER by applying a TORQUE on a rotating shaft (driveshaft).

A dynamometer measures torque and RPM, and from those two values calculates observed power. Then it applies various factors (air temperature, barometric pressure, relative humidity) in order to correct the observed power to the value it would have been if it had been measured at standard atmospheric conditions (corrected power).
Not sure how the formula for horsepower would show that you would lower RPM at a given speed by adding an intake. Wouldn't such a formula showing a relationship of power, RPM's, and speed have to include a variable for speed. Here's a simple calculator for you. http://www.offroadexchange.com/RPM_calcutator.htm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts