Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I let you guys know before you do the same thing I did. I went up to Ohio for Xmas and I used the cargo carrier that I got it from craigslist.

First of all I have 1.25 hitch Honda OEM. Then I got the cargo carrier with 2 inch receiver (Great deal from craigslist) Something like this. So I bought the hitch adapter 1.25 to 2 inches(6 inches - the shortest available).

Well, it was fine before I loaded but after all the junk we had on the back plus the junk on the cargo carrier, the E is pretty low and there is a slight gap on the adapter so it tilt down even lower. I would say I only got 5 inches clearance to the ground from the cargo carrier. Note: I dont have anything heavy on the back or cargo carrier, mostly clothes and baby stuff; I have 2 kids.

Everything is ok except I had to be really careful when I stopped at the gas station it kept touching the ground.

Oh well, I am gonna sell the cargo carrier and get the one with 1.25 receiver.

Anyway, I was in Columbus, OH. I cannot believe how many Es on the road.

Sorry I got no pictures... I already took everything out

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I thought about that but with rooftop, I have to unload before I pack the car in the garage, no top clearance. Sometimes, after I drive for 10 hours, I dont feel like unpacking before get in to the garage, especially with 2 kids.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Yeah I thought about that but with rooftop, I have to unload before I pack the car in the garage, no top clearance. Sometimes, after I drive for 10 hours, I dont feel like unpacking before get in to the garage, especially with 2 kids.

definatly agree with that.

I have found that with my 2 bike carrier (1.5 hitch) that I sag a lot sometimes.

Maybe you could but some stronger springs in the back. Help with the load.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I like the looks of what BC346T is showing. However...

Bear in mind that by using a 1.25" to 2" adapter, you're lengthening the moment arm of your cargo basket and putting more weight on the hitch than you think. I believe the OEM hitch is only rated for 150 lbs tongue (basket) weight? That's more or less rated at right next to or an few inches out from the hitch receiver, where the ball would normally be.

I'm guessing the receiver adapter you used is similar to this one by Northern Tool? That puts your basket out another 6 1/2" at best from where it would normally be. Doesn't seem like much, but in calculating leverages it can very easily mean the difference between being under the weight limit and being WAY over it.

For instance...

If the center of your mass on the basket would regularly be 15 inches (.4 meters) away from the mount point of the receiver, and you load 150 pounds (667 newtons) into it, your moment is 266.8 N-M. Increase that by only 4 inches (.1 meter) and your moment jumps to 333.5 N-M.

Just something to keep in mind. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the looks of what BC346T is showing. However...

Bear in mind that by using a 1.25" to 2" adapter, you're lengthening the moment arm of your cargo basket and putting more weight on the hitch than you think. I believe the OEM hitch is only rated for 150 lbs tongue (basket) weight? That's more or less rated at right next to or an few inches out from the hitch receiver, where the ball would normally be.

I'm guessing the receiver adapter you used is similar to this one by Northern Tool? That puts your basket out another 6 1/2" at best from where it would normally be. Doesn't seem like much, but in calculating leverages it can very easily mean the difference between being under the weight limit and being WAY over it.

For instance...

If the center of your mass on the basket would regularly be 15 inches (.4 meters) away from the mount point of the receiver, and you load 150 pounds (667 newtons) into it, your moment is 266.8 N-M. Increase that by only 4 inches (.1 meter) and your moment jumps to 333.5 N-M.

Just something to keep in mind. :D

I am not that good with math but that makes sense, I am gonna keep that in mind. Thank you

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have always heard that adding an extension reduces your capacity by half. Therefore, if the OEM hitch capacity is 150 lbs., then adding the adapter would reduce the capacity to 75 lbs.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Physics!

You guys have got this nailed. Minimize extensions. Just like a see-saw.:D

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think there are far more options of racks and accessories if you go with the 2" hitch from Valley, Uhaul or whomever and it appears to be more sturdy as well.

I bought an aluminum rack and aluminum box from UWS in Florida (I searched around a bit, I wanted something made in USA as opposed to Harbor Freight type solution) and took it up to north Georgia couple of weeks ago. Worked flawlessly, I had about 100 lbs of stuff plus weight of the rack and box and about 200lbs of dogs in the cabin + more stuff. We were loaded down pretty good. The rear end was notciably lower but we never bottomed, even on the rough road going to the cabin we stayed at.

I pondered roof top but the rear rack actually worked good and with the box it was waterproof and it doubled as a countertop at gas stations getting the dogs stuff together for their rest breaks.

I also got an anti rattle hitch clip which is essentially a bolt arrangment that takes out any slop at the receiver - I don't know if it was necessary but there was no noise coming from the hitch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I should've gone with Valley or Uhaul 2 inches hitch. The reason I got the 1 1/4 hitch Honda OEM was because I found one on Craigslist for $80 so it was a no brainer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts